In DESPERATE need of help!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I think.. breathing should be marked by expansion of the abdomen instead of the chest. This may be difficult for those carrying extra weight.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I can't believe no one has mentioned your workout environment. Are you doing this on a treadmill in a hot gym, or on a treadmill with a fan on you, or outside in the cool early morning, or the hot afternoon? Is it humid or dry outside if that's where you run? What altitude are you at? Those are things that STILL mess with me & my breathing even though I run often.

While I agree with everyone else to check out asthma and to keep a positive mindset and just keep trying, I suggest you scrutinize your environment. I saw you are in IN and I must admit I don't know a lot about the weather there and I am guessing it varies throughout the state fairly widely. I am in southern AR and am trying to get myself used to running in the heat and I literally feel like I can't breathe within the first .75 mile even though I can easily run 4 miles normally these past 2 weeks. The air has been so so so dry compared to the normal miserable humidity we have here and my lungs just aren't used to breathing in hot, dry air. I have pushed past it and ran a little shorter until I build up my lungs and the rest of my body to efficiently run in the heat.

I would suggest trying your run early in the morning, while it is still cool outside and try to run on a windy day and on a not windy day...that can affect you too. If you can adjust your runs to a time of day and environment that you can handle, then do C25K at that time, in that environment until your lungs and cardiovascular system build up to running. Eventually your body will become more efficient at processing the oxygen in your blood. (If you have been running outside in the cool morning, try indoors on a treadmill with your fan on you.)
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    Here's how I breath while running that really helped me when I was just starting out with C25K (I just finished the program yesterday btw): I would make sure you're going at a comfortable steady pace and then I concentrate on breathing in through my nose for 3-4 steps and out through my mouth for 3-4 steps. It takes some practice to get it down but it really helps overall to get the breathing down.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    This program, along with any physical training program worth it's salt, is based on progression. You MUST progress, and continue to add new challenges, or your body won't respond. I'd recomend going on to week two and giving it a try. If you aren't happy with how you do, go back down to week afterwards, but you need to try. You might be surprised at how your body reacts if you keep pushing it to new places. In 2 months the stuff you did during week 1 will seem like a breeze.

I TOTALLY agree with this!! I've never, ever, ever been a runner, but I did C25K and pushed myself each week. I was amazed at what my body could do. I have run (ok, jogged) two 5K's so far. Was it easy? Heck, no. Was it worth it? ABSOLUTELY!! You will surprise yourself, I guarantee it. But I also agree with others who have said to make sure you get checked out by a doctor.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    As a couple others have said, progress. The only time you should repeat is if you don't finish the workout. If you succeed, move on. Your body will respond accordingly.