I just cant do it anymore

Options
I am having a really hard time with this! I have 15-20 lb to loose and just cant get it! I find I am eating all the wrong things, bread and pasta. I hate cooking but do not like processed foods either. My 18 month old is so picky so trying to feed the family of 4 healthy is proving really hard! My husband comes home late most nights so I need meals that I can reheat for him, but also foods that are quick to cook as my cling on boy will not let me do very much.

I need help, Please :-(

Replies

• emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    Change one thing every few weeks. Just one thing.

Pasta to wholewheat, rice to wholegrain, bread to wholewheat...
  • Vanishing_Gordies
    Options
    A crockpot can be your very best friend.
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat I have 20 to 25 left to lose. We should team up! I have some ideas and if you want to friend me we can work on this together!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can cook one day for the entire week. A day when your hubby is home to help with the baby. That would give you a chance to plan ahead for healthy meals.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I find I am eating all the wrong things, bread and pasta ... foods that are quick to cook as my cling on boy will not let me do very much.

Seems to me you already have the seeds of your own solution.
    1. You're eating the wrong things. Nobody here can fix that except you.
    2. You've got a clingy little boy who doesn't let you do very much - time to set some healthy boundaries!

All the best to you. You can do this!!
  • purpleprose
    purpleprose Posts: 650
    Options
    If you don't buy bread or pasta at the grocery store and only buy healthier food, then you have to make something from that. Magazine websites like cooking light, shape, and self, all have quick, healthy recipes online that I use constantly.

At the end of the day, though, if it's not in the house, you won't eat it. So stop buying it and torturing yourself!
  • bossymom
    bossymom Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I up my intake of high protein foods, my cravings for carbs diminish. But it's not necessarilyu bad to have bread and pasta! Just make the bulk of your meal lean protein, and portion-control the bread and pasta. Besides, if you're staying within your caloric limit, it shouldn't matter all that much. Hey, I enjoyed a piece of banana cream pie today for lunch(330 calories!). hahah. I ate it in place of a healthy lunch....not something I recommend, and rarely do.....but every now and then you have to splurge, and I'll still stay within my 1400 calorie limit today.

Relax! :) Don't ever give up though!
  • purpleprose
    purpleprose Posts: 650
    Options
    I find I am eating all the wrong things, bread and pasta ... foods that are quick to cook as my cling on boy will not let me do very much.

2. You've got a clingy little boy who doesn't let you do very much - time to set some healthy boundaries!

You said it better than I did - totally agree!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    This is a lifestyle change and because of that, you don't have to change EVERYTHING in one day. Change 1 thing each week or even each month.

Buy whole wheat pasta vs regular pasta
    Buy 2% (or a lower % milk from what you drink now) milk
    Buy whole wheat bread vs white bread

Small changes add up to big success - trust me. YOU CAN DO THIS.

I'm a picky eater. My 15 yr old is a picky eater. I've learned to make foods that I like that she likes too. I was pleasantly surprised to find she LOVES turkey tacos, turkey sloppy joes and turkey burgers. You can do it. It just takes time!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i suggest just picking one thing to improve each week...

make a resolution to cook one healthy meal each week (have the hubs come home early this evening)
    get in 20 minutes of exercise total 3 days a week (even if it is broken up during the day)
    etc...

you can do it and dont view your weight loss in 15-20 lb chunks...aim for 5 lbs at a time

think lifestyle change not diet!
  • alfredapittman
    alfredapittman Posts: 256 Member
    Options

• RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO THIS, SO MANY PEOPLE HERE HAVE LOST SOOO MUCH WEIGHT, IT'S THE TEAMWORK THAT DOES IT.THE ADVICE IS SO HELPFUL, AS IS THE CRITCISIM. GOOD LUCK, YOU REALLY CAN DO THIS, RED:flowerforyou:
  • kelldoll
    kelldoll Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I have a child (7) and a husband that is about 20 lbs underweight. Cutting fat and carbs in our meals isn't healthy for them, yet I don't have the time to sit and cook special meals for everyone. It's stressful!

Don't give up though. I've recently stumbled upon the concept of "add-ons". As it pertains to me specifically: my daughter hates meat. I need high protein to support my activity level. If I cook up a whole bag of chicken breast all at once, then my daughter can eat spaghetti without meat, I eat chicken with marinara and a smaller portion of pasta... or no pasta at all. I take those cooked chicken chunks with me to work to toss on my otherwise lame salad. Buy an asian dressing and VOILA... sesame chicken. Add pineapple and oven roasted red peppers... HAWAIIAN CHICKEN.

I realize that this doesn't entirely solve the largescale challenge. However, it does ease some of the stress at mealtimes.

You can do this.

-Kelly
  • CoachKaren
    CoachKaren Posts: 90
    Options
    Girlfriend, I feel you. I can help you. I have a family of four as well. The trick is : dont buy it. I cook my meals ahead of time. I generally cook for the week on Sunday, But I make everyone in the house eat what I eat. If they want something different, they better cook it themselves. This is my grocery list. http://www.eatcleandiet.com/tools_and_support.aspx Message me with more specifics. I may be able to help you more.
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    definitely plan your meals in advance! use leftover chicken from Monday in Dinner Tuesday, make extra portions of rice on Tuesday to use on Wednesday, things like that. This way, if you KNOW you are making something healthy that you and hubby both love, you can also plan differently for the baby. But when you have different people eating different things, it makes trying to "throw" a dinner together impossible :frown:

and like someone else said, crockpots are an amazing thing!
  • alischaid
    alischaid Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with Vanishing_Gordie. Utilize your crock pot. There are a ton of good crock pot recipes on allrecipes.com.
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Mistake #1 is saying that you can't do this anymore. Take that CAN'T out of your vocabulary! You CAN do this. You just need to focus on your goal. We're all here to help!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    A crockpot can be your very best friend.

THIS
  • Marmitemum
    Marmitemum Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    wow only in a few minutes and feeling a little better, thank you. The support is amazing :-)
  • SheCantWeight
    SheCantWeight Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine what it's like trying to do this and deal with a hectic at home life as well. For me I'm finding it hard to concentrate on school and being healthy. But I've been going for a good month now and I feel great. It's hard to be motivated because it is a lot of work. But if you give up you'll fall right back into your slump and continue being unhappy with yourself. I'm not sure what kind of foods your family likes to eat, but one suggestion on an easy at-home meal is boneless skinless grilled chicken (don't have to grill it there's always frozen) and I put it with either veggies or if I have enough cals left over I have a cup of brown rice with it also. It's simple and you can always flavor up chicken with just a few herbs that aren't high in calories at all. There are a lot of healthy food websites and even the nutrition thread on MFP can help you come up with healthy foods. And it's not bad to have the breads and pastas every once in a while. I've dieted before and the reason it's working for me now is because I didn't try to cut out certain types of foods. You need to make it something you can follow otherwise it becomes difficult. And the more you exercise the more you can eat. Don't give up because once you get going, it's a lot easier and when you get to the point where you can see the changes and feel the changes, well that's the best feeling ever.