Buffalo Wing Sauce

Options
Hey everyone,

I have a favorite salad that I order everyday - a buffalo chicken salad. I order grilled instead of battered fried chicken and it comes covered in the wing sauce. I LOVE it, it's so spicy and delicious but I know the sauce is made using some butter. Does anyone have any idea just how many calories are in this kind of homemade wing sauce? I'm almost scared to find out ...

Replies

• shopgirl192
    shopgirl192 Posts: 102
    Options
    As someone who is from Buffalo, NY.... home of all Buffalo deliciousness... I'm guessing there's more butter than you want to know! I would say many many tablespoons!
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    The sodium is going to be really high too. Most of the restaurants I know use a ratio of 1/1 butter to wing sauce.
  • thomas1977
    Options
    Also From Buffalo, here's the deal, butter is added to dilute franks red hot and add creaminess. But if you can take the heat make your own sauce: franks red hot, a splash of vinegar and one small teaspoon of brown sugar, the sugar adds sweetness, reduces the heat, and has 1/100 of the calories of all the butter, which is usually is mixed half/half with the red-hot. 2172572.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • shopgirl192
    shopgirl192 Posts: 102
    Options
    Also From Buffalo, here's the deal, butter is added to dilute franks red hot and add creaminess. But if you can take the heat make your own sauce: franks red hot, a splash of vinegar and one small teaspoon of brown sugar, the sugar adds sweetness, reduces the heat, and has 1/100 of the calories of all the butter, which is usually is mixed half/half with the red-hot. 2172572.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

YAY BUFFALO! :)
  • 2novgirls
    2novgirls Posts: 35
    Options
    I make mine with franks hot sauce, white vinegar and pepper.
  • liberty741
    liberty741 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I KNEW it was more than just Frank's Hot Sauce (which has 0 calories). I am going to start making my own! I already have an AMAZING low-fat and low-cal buffalo WING DIP recipe.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    Yup, I make it at home. The recipe is 1/2 butter and 1/2 hot sauce. Another thing you can do is ask for the sauce on the side, or just a side of hot sauce for dunking. That always save calories.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Ruby Tuesdays lists their buffalo salad as 840 calories and 84% of your daily fat intake. Making your own is definately the way to go!
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Here is what i have been marinating my chicken in and then grilling with it. It does have high sodium but it is the most sodium i am really ingesting in a weeks time. For my taste i do not have to dillute it at all. I use to use the Frank's, but it is so much better with the 1-1 butter.

http://www.brucefoods.com/mystOre/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=546