How do you keep turkey burgers from getting dry?

Options

Replies

• h2onut
    h2onut Posts: 164
    Options
    I make a greek turkey burger - extra lean turkey breast, finely chopped spinach, montreal steak spice, light fetta cheese, make patty's and cook in a skillet. You can add an egg if it's not forming well - I've never had to and... have never had a problem with them being dry! Oh ya and serve on a low fat bun with tzatziki, red onion, and tomato:D
  • sunflwrgirl58
    sunflwrgirl58 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am not a turkey burger fan, but I found a really good recipe that uses seasoned breadcrumbs, feta cheese, egg substitute and craisins. I think the craisins give the burgers the moisture they need. I make mine in a skillet sprayed with cooking spray. Put a lid on the skillet while cooking and it also helps hold in the moisture.
  • Christiane81
    Options
    I buy the extra lean ground turkey and I shred zucchini into egg whites and worchestershire sauce and mix it all together....they taste and amazing and they are far from dry...top with avocado, cheese, and tomato.
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Put in a tsp of light olive oil or lightly brush it on the outside. It will keep the turkey moist. Another thought for the grill... cook in foil and then toss them on the actual flames at the end to get the grilled taste. I also grate onions, you can't see them and the taste is not overwhelming. Vidalia onions are best for grilling.

Enjoy
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I use worcestershire sauce and 93/7 lean turkey. Yum!
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Shredded zuchinni works like a charm. I use 93/7 Turkey too.
  • RoadsterMomma
    RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When I cook mine, I put them in a skillet and then "poach" them by adding small amounts of water. The water doesnt dry them out and there are no added calories or ingredients. :wink:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If you add things like cheese you are adding back fat and that is defeating the purpose. If you saute some veggies (Peppers, onions, mushrooms even spinach) 1 egg ( Per 1- 2 lbs meat) and Moistened Breadcrumbs (1/2 cup per pound and 1/2 cup water). Add them before you cook the burgers, it will keep them moist.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I love adding "hiding" ingredients in turkey burgers to make them more exciting. My latest favorite is chopped spinach, a little feta cheese and a small amount of greek dressing - top with roasted peppers. I've also added a tiny amount of stuffing inside the turkey meat and then topped with cranberry sauce - tastes just like thanksgiving! This one can be carb/sodium heavy, but overall is pretty healthy if eaten in moderation.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If you add things like cheese you are adding back fat and that is defeating the purpose. If you saute some veggies (Peppers, onions, mushrooms even spinach) 1 egg ( Per 1- 2 lbs meat) and Moistened Breadcrumbs (1/2 cup per pound and 1/2 cup water). Add them before you cook the burgers, it will keep them moist.
    If your boyfriend doesn't like onions, Cook any veggies you like, grind them in a food processor and I would bet he will never know they are in them. I do it to my husband, kids and grandkids all the time. They always love everything and I never tell them.
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I make a greek turkey burger - extra lean turkey breast, finely chopped spinach, montreal steak spice, light fetta cheese, make patty's and cook in a skillet. You can add an egg if it's not forming well - I've never had to and... have never had a problem with them being dry! Oh ya and serve on a low fat bun with tzatziki, red onion, and tomato:D

do you make your own tzatziki??? i love it, but can't make mine taste like the restaurant!
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    My 22 year old son, the self appointed chef in the family when he is home from school, makes WONDERFUL turkey burgers. His secret is adding about a 1/2 cup of oatmeal and quite a bit of barbeque sauce. Juicy and delicious; never dry.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I add a bit of olive oil, one egg, onions, parsley and either Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce. Horseradish is good, too.
  • Toniames
    Toniames Posts: 1
    Options
    While grilling, brush on a terriyaki marinade a few times and top with a slice of grilled pineapple:)
  • jenttifer
    jenttifer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas! :)
  • 69mustang
    69mustang Posts: 185
    Options
    Deep fry them, the oil will keep them moist. JK

Try using a 95/5 or 90/10. you need fat in the burger to keep it from drying out.

Agreed, you need a bit of fat in the meat to keep the burgers from drying out and also dont over work the meat when mixing it, that can make it tough.
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I use egg beaters, chopped onion, green pepper, green chiles and worcestershire sauce. Spray skillet or grill with pam and cook burgers on medium until internal temp reaches 180 degrees. I also add a little more worchestershire sauce while they are cooking and they come out really juicy..........yummy.
  • twinsX3
    twinsX3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Years ago someone made me a meatloaf made out of onions and carrots. I'm wondering if grated carrots might work, also.
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    try ground chicken! doesn't dry out as much
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have TONS of recipes!

Check out my blog: http://momvsfood.blogspot.com

Check out Juicy Turkey Burgers!