What to eat when you dont have many calories left?

Options
When I work from home and the kids are home from school, I tend to let them talk me into fattening fast food lunches. I am going to be trying to get better with that. However, my question is...what do you eat when you realize you only have 100 calories left and still have dinner to go? I realize that you could throw in some exercise so that you will have extra calories to eat but what if you are running out the door and your schedule wont permit? Need lots of ideas please!

Replies

• perne11
    perne11 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Progresso Soup has a few 70 -100 cal light options.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Have a nutritious dinner and start again tomorrow by making better choices for you and the kids. Go to dlife.com you can choose recipes by calorie, carb, fat, sodium. It is a great site.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Big ol' mixed veggie salad - but WATCH the dressing, because those are the calories that add up fast!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Lots of veggies. Don't let your kids talk you into poor choices again!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I would eat protein.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Eat. Make the best choice you can, and eat. You'll more than likely go over your calories, but choose a lean meat and a dark green veggie, and skip dessert. No use to starve yourself, but make the most out of what you do put in your mouth.

Remember you're in charge of what goes in your mouth. Not your kids. It's not good for them to eat that stuff either. Tell them no, and make something more nutritional. There are many ways to "healthify" fattning foods. English muffin/pita pizzas or home made chicken nuggets with corn cereal and chicken breast slices, home made french fries - baked in the oven... etc.
  • hopebuck
    hopebuck Posts: 138
    Options
    Have a nutritious dinner and start again tomorrow by making better choices for you and the kids. Or you could exercise to gain some calories back.

I agree!!! or if you aren't very hungry eat some soup like suggested, or some popcorn..... you don't have to eat your last 100 if you aren't hungry. but, if you ARE hungry i'm in total agreement with this post!
  • jfarmer1226
    jfarmer1226 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I'm running low on calories for dinner....I do 3 oz of grilled chicken breast and 1/2 cup of some sort of green veggies (brussel sprouts, green beans, broccoli. The chicken will have about 100 calories...but it is a really good 100 calories because of the protein. Or you could just do sauteed veggies for dinner...or even just eat some fruit. Hope this helps.

I would be cautious of how much soup you eat (if it's canned)...it can add a lot of sodium to your diet.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Big, giant salad, small egg white omlet, 100 calorie bag of popcorn, soup... You're not going to get a full meal in. You can either exercise and then eat a full meal, have a 100 calorie "snack" for a meal, or eat a normal meal and start fresh tomorrow.
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    See if you can try to get in a walk or so so you are allowed more calories.

*Special K and 1% milk - that equals 220 cals I believe.
    *Salad and a hard boiled egg whites.
    *Slim Fast/Protein Shake if they are readily available.

Aside from this...not sure what else.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Ice chips....lol....
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Have a nutritious dinner and start again tomorrow by making better choices for you and the kids.

That's what I'm doing after my 1250 calorie breakfast!!! I'm still going to watch what I eat, log everything and try to throw in some exercise. Good luck! :wink:
  • blueliss26
    blueliss26 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I would eat a normal meal... no way i could be satisfied with a 100 cal dinner. Just eat normal, consider it a learning day and move on.
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Ice chips....lol....

I was thinking celery :laugh:
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Have a nutritious dinner and start again tomorrow by making better choices for you and the kids. Go to dlife.com you can choose recipes by calorie, carb, fat, sodium. It is a great site.

This is what I do. I know that I could not be content with only 100 cals for dinner. That is also why I plan my meals ahead of time to the extent that I can. If I indeed just ate (I don't care how nutritious) 100 cals that entire evening, the next day would be a disaster for me. I would be so hungry that I would make bad choices for sure.
  • goingcrazy73
    goingcrazy73 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I work from home a few days a week and those lunch hours are usually spent running my two teenagers here or there so its easy to go thru a drive thru...then immediately after work I am taking them to some appt. or sporting event. I usually dont eat big dinners anyway due to lack of time. So maybe the popcorn on my way out the door will be ok. Also maybe I can get in a short walk around the school during half time or something..worth a shot.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Whole grain pasta with Prego Heart Smart sauce and veggies is just over 100 cals for a cup. :wink:
  • linz_83
    linz_83 Posts: 45
    Options
    when I am out of calories I turn to veggies.
    salad, cucumber, tomato exc.

Have you tried Newmans Own Seseme ginger dressing. . i love love love it!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I work from home a few days a week and those lunch hours are usually spent running my two teenagers here or there so its easy to go thru a drive thru...then immediately after work I am taking them to some appt. or sporting event. I usually dont eat big dinners anyway due to lack of time. So maybe the popcorn on my way out the door will be ok. Also maybe I can get in a short walk around the school during half time or something..worth a shot.

Pack lunches whenever you can to prevent this from happening again. The temptation to get drive thru will be less when you already have a healthy lunch sitting in front of you! Pack a sandwich, veggies, fruit, crackers, whatever you like and it good for you.
  • tab143
    tab143 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It will be hard to stay under 100 calories. I agree with the post telling you to eat something healthy and start fresh tomorrow, but if you are hell bent of staying under, here are some things that I find satisfying that are low/no cal. lemon juice, water, & Equal, pickles, tomatos,canned tuna, mustard, capers, etc. Good luck!