Natural sugar from fruit= belly fat??

2»

Replies

• solse005
    solse005 Posts: 1
    I have a four year degree in Nutrition and Dietetics, and Grglandr is correct. When you eat sugar/fat/protein from any source, it is generally evenly distributed throughout the entire body. Some people tend to store fat on their hips and thighs while others will store excess fat on their belly (based on genetics). The only time sugar (from any source) is stored as fat is when you consume too much of it; more than your body can store at any one time. As long as you are burning more calories than consuming, ie calories out > calories in you will lose weight. Genetics on the other hand, we obviously cannot control.

Good luck!
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    The USDA recommends 2 servings of fruit per day. 2 servings of fruit = 1 cup
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/foodgroups/fruits_amount_table.html

Chart to go with it.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/foodgroups/fruits_amount_table.html

Chart to go with it.

*These amounts are appropriate for individuals who get less than 30 minutes per day of moderate physical activity, beyond normal daily activities. Those who are more physically active may be able to consume more while staying within calorie needs.
  • Losing weight is as simple as this, assuming you don't have a metabolic disorder:

1. Find your maintenance calorie amount.
    2. Create a 10-20% deficit.
    3. Hit your minimum requirements of fat and protein as these are essential.
    4. DISREGARD trying to time meals, avoid carbs, avoid sugars, trying to control metabolic hormones (insulin, GH, IGF-1, etc.), avoid eating late at night, making sure you eat breakfast, etc., as all of these things are VERY irrelevant in regards to body weight and body composition.
    5. Get MOST of your foods from whole food sources as they tend to be dense in micronutrients, but DON'T BE AFRAID of the food that you love. Cereal, fast food, candy, ice cream. It can ALL be enjoyed in moderation and you can ENJOY FOOD.

LIVE LIFE, and enjoy a healthy relationship with food. Without it, LONG TERM weight loss and maintenance are very difficult.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    No food or macronutrients = belly fat.
    Excess calories = fat.
    Deficit in calories = fat LOSS.

Period.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Losing weight is as simple as this, assuming you don't have a metabolic disorder:

4. DISREGARD trying to time meals, avoid carbs, avoid sugars, trying to control metabolic hormones (insulin, GH, IGF-1, etc.), avoid eating late at night, making sure you eat breakfast, etc., as all of these things are VERY irrelevant in regards to body weight and body composition.
    5. Get MOST of your foods from whole food sources as they tend to be dense in micronutrients, but DON'T BE AFRAID of the food that you love. Cereal, fast food, candy, ice cream. It can ALL be enjoyed in moderation and you can ENJOY FOOD.

LIVE LIFE, and enjoy a healthy relationship with food. Without it, LONG TERM weight loss and maintenance are very difficult.

mapexdrummer6,

What is this revolutionary new diet plan you just outlined? Is it new?

I cannot possibly follow this diet. It doesn't have a trendy name, nor does it have any hard and fast rules about foods which must be avoided, and at which times I can eat, and when I can introduce carbs into my system.

I don't like diet plans that are based on a caloric deficit. I prefer ones that change the laws of thermodynamics and villify an entire food group! :laugh:
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    We should have 5-9 servings of fruit and or vegetables a day. People get fat not by eating healthy but eating unhealthy. 2000 calories is a HUGE amount of food unless you eat at a fast food restaurant where you can blow it or more then half on a burger and fries.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Losing weight is as simple as this, assuming you don't have a metabolic disorder:

mapexdrummer6,

I cannot possibly follow this diet. It doesn't have a trendy name, nor does it have any hard and fast rules about foods which must be avoided, and at which times I can eat, and when I can introduce carbs into my system.

I don't like diet plans that are based on a caloric deficit. I prefer ones that change the laws of thermodynamics and villify an entire food group! :laugh:

LOL! :)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Do yourself a favour - Go to your food diary and add:

Bananas - Raw - 1 cup and
    Blueberries - Raw - 1 cup, and you will clearly see why berries is a very good option....less calorise, less sugar, more fibre - and some other "magic goodies" like antioxidants etc....

Note I am not saying banana's are bad - but for me personally bananas are on my "treat" list - but I eat 2 cups of berries every day ...... and it still comes in under the calories of 1 banana....

mapexdrummer6,

I lol'd in real life. I will have to figure out a name and some magical reason why it works or people will never believe it's this simple.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    I've got a different perspective on this than most people. When I was on a raw foods diet I lost weight like CRAZY. (At a time when I didn't really need to lose weight.) I ate lots of bananas and other high calorie fruits during that time and took in more calories than I do now. I'm not saying this to try to get other people to go raw, I'm just saying that based on MY experience with eating raw foods, there's no truth to the fruit = belly fat. BUT that doesn't mean that would be true for everyone! I may do well on a high fruit diet, but I'm sure there are quite a few people who don't tolerate fruit well at all. Everyone has to listen to their own body.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    I eat fruit like a feind and I have no belly..... I snack on fruit at breakfast and lunch. it gives me energy, helps me fill full, gives me water and helps my swet tooth. I actually have lost weight since upping my fruit intake.

Now fake sugars on the other hand....your body does not recognize this as "sugar" so it doesn't digest it the same. Your body is made to digest natural fruits and vegetables. Natural sugar = GOOD & Processed refined sugar = BAD

God made apples......& I doubt God is fat or avoiding apple's sugar. :-p
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    I am in agreement with what you read because if it were not true, then these fruits would not be harmful to diabetics. My family members who suffer from diabetes are constantly urged to stay away from watermelon, pineapples, bananas and apples because their sugar levels rapidly increase, even after eating small amounts. I do not believe that our body can assess what type of sugar it is, but simply registers sugar and therefore, I am very careful with regards to eating these fruits or eat some type of protein or fiber with them to help absorb!

And this is the root of it, insulin response...which affects everyone, not just diabetics. This is why I consume my fruit (particularly bananas) after hard workouts in a protein/carb shake order to quickly refill my muscles glycogen stores and aid in recovery. If it weren't true, that wouldn't work, and diabetics could eat whatever the hell they chose.
    Why do people think everything is black and white? Sugar creates an insulin response which ushers nutrients from the blood stream into your body tissue. This insulin response helps nutrients get into your muscles after you workout, but it also leads to fat being stored. Some natural sugar is perfectly fine in your healthy diet, but eating it all the time is bad.

This whole diet thing can get really complex. You won't succeed in oversimplifying it, and saying you should eat tons of one thing or none of one thing is oversimplifying.

A trule of thumb; if it's natural, it probably has a place in your healthy diet, but eating tons of one thing probably isn't a good idea, whatever that thing may be.

This I agree with 100%.
    We should have 5-9 servings of fruit and or vegetables a day. People get fat not by eating healthy but eating unhealthy. 2000 calories is a HUGE amount of food unless you eat at a fast food restaurant where you can blow it or more then half on a burger and fries.

You've said this a million times...yet, oddly enough, I can pull 700cal with one chicken breast, some broccoli, spinach, a bit of mozzarella cheese, and a half handful of cashews...all within a serving that easily fits in a normal size cereal bowl. If I tossed in half an avacado...it certainly wouldn't increase the portion size much...but it sure as hell would increase the calorie count...to damn near 850cal. That's ONE easy meal. Eating whole, natural food can easily be high calorie and VERY filling. Don't believe it, check out my tomorrow's diary for midmorning...I put the combo in there.

I do agree people get fat by not eating healthy...but I pretty much disagree with the rest completely. Starving yourself calorie wise is silly...a moderate deficit and the right exercise routine will go a hell of a lot farther towards cutting fat than eating 1/3 what you should and running 50 miles a day.

Cris
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Are we really this messed up in this country that we can't figure out whether or not to eat fruit? (excluding people with health conditions).

Good lord. Common sense. Which most of us have.
  • My opinion to this one would be...follow the food guide pyramid....yes fruit does have sugars, BUT your body NEEDS a certain amount of sugar, and it NEEDS a certain amount of fat to survive, it needs a certain amount of everything....so i would suggest just keeping it moderate without completely cutting it, because even though its sugar, its good sugar, and not the man-made sugar you put in things....does that make sense, lol...
  • minnie86
    minnie86 Posts: 187
    Your body is can handle the fructose present in fruits. The problem is when you overload your body with fructuose, like in the case of high fructose corn syrup. Your body will basically "saturate" and convert this excess to fat. If anything, I would not stop eating fruits, because you would disregard all the other benefits their bring. However, I would maybe combine fruits, some higher in sugar with some lower in sugar, and try to find a balance.
    http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all~content=a930091689
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Are we really this messed up in this country that we can't figure out whether or not to eat fruit? (excluding people with health conditions).

Good lord. Common sense. Which most of us have.

Well, we really are that messed up in this country when the rate of obesity is as high as it is...and it's not from not eating fruit.

The point of my post wasn't that fruit is bad for you...it wasn't that fruit should be avoided at all costs...or even eaten at certain times a day. The point was that every person on this forum is here for a reason. Avoiding things that CAN cause excess body fat...will help us get back to being 'normal' people that can have 'anything in moderation' that much more quickly.

Including high sugar fruits.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 708 Member
    No food contributes to any fat stored in a specific area of the body. Your genetics determine where your body stores fat, regardless of the source.

I'm pretty sure that fructose contributes to the development of visceral fat, including fatty liver. However, you're not going to eat enough fruit to have to worry about that--worry about the corn syrup.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100621091203.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15561490

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/

Kris
This discussion has been closed.