Options
How to Stop Your Boss from Spying on Your Company E-mail
Add page to favoritesBy Joel JohnsonMore from Popular Mechanics
BUZZWORD: Tracking New Workplace Surveillance Tech
GLENN REYNOLDS: Why We Should Be Able to Spy Back
TECH TEST: iSound BackUp Battery Doubles iPhone¹s 3G Life
TECH WATCH: Startups Market CO2 for Green
Read More From Popular Mechanics
Q: I want to read my personal e-mail at work without the IT department looking over my shoulder. Is there any way for an employee to browse the Web anonymously on a company computer?

A: According to the courts, your employer has the right to monitor what you’re doing if you are using their computer on their network, so you really can’t expect any privacy. That being said, it is possible to secure your browsing to some degree, but no solution is unassailable. For instance, even if you encrypt your data, keylogging software could still record what you’re doing. However, if all you want to do is keep the IT guys from casually snooping on your dinner plans, there are a few ways to beef up your in-office digital privacy.

One path is to run an encrypted Web browser directly off a USB flash drive. The easiest way to do this is to purchase IronKey, which is sold as a secure USB drive preloaded with a version of Firefox that automatically routes your traffic through other servers. The 1 GB version, which costs $79 and comes with a year of service, is very easy to use and adds some security. You can also load your own USB drive with the xB Browser — another version of Firefox that conceals your IP address by routing your data through several servers, in addition to automatically wiping your cookies and browsing history.

Still, such steps are mere speed bumps for a determined IT staff. As long as you’re using company computers, you’re playing on the IT department’s home turf. That’s why the easiest solution is also the best. Most phones these days have the ability to check e-mail and access the Web. And unless you’re using the company Wi-Fi on your phone, it will never communicate with your work network at all.

Replies

• Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    How to Stop Your Boss from Spying on Your Company E-mail
    Add page to favoritesBy Joel JohnsonMore from Popular Mechanics
    BUZZWORD: Tracking New Workplace Surveillance Tech
    GLENN REYNOLDS: Why We Should Be Able to Spy Back
    TECH TEST: iSound BackUp Battery Doubles iPhone¹s 3G Life
    TECH WATCH: Startups Market CO2 for Green
    Read More From Popular Mechanics
    Q: I want to read my personal e-mail at work without the IT department looking over my shoulder. Is there any way for an employee to browse the Web anonymously on a company computer?

A: According to the courts, your employer has the right to monitor what you’re doing if you are using their computer on their network, so you really can’t expect any privacy. That being said, it is possible to secure your browsing to some degree, but no solution is unassailable. For instance, even if you encrypt your data, keylogging software could still record what you’re doing. However, if all you want to do is keep the IT guys from casually snooping on your dinner plans, there are a few ways to beef up your in-office digital privacy.

One path is to run an encrypted Web browser directly off a USB flash drive. The easiest way to do this is to purchase IronKey, which is sold as a secure USB drive preloaded with a version of Firefox that automatically routes your traffic through other servers. The 1 GB version, which costs $79 and comes with a year of service, is very easy to use and adds some security. You can also load your own USB drive with the xB Browser — another version of Firefox that conceals your IP address by routing your data through several servers, in addition to automatically wiping your cookies and browsing history.

Still, such steps are mere speed bumps for a determined IT staff. As long as you’re using company computers, you’re playing on the IT department’s home turf. That’s why the easiest solution is also the best. Most phones these days have the ability to check e-mail and access the Web. And unless you’re using the company Wi-Fi on your phone, it will never communicate with your work network at all.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Seems like a lot of effort to be hiding that you are goofing off on company time.
    Why not just search the web (or at least "those sites") from home?
  • dgoodgion
    Options
    I would have to agree! (with Lauryn that is...)

89374.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I second that motion, (or third). I browse the net at work and know that anytime, my employer can see what I'm doing. So, anything I DON'T want them to see, I wait until I get home to check out. Technically, it's their internet they're paying for, so it's their right to "spy". I pay for Internet at my home, therefore, I expect to be able to "spy" on my kids browsing....:wink:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    I completly agree, just giving some options to those wondering why they can't view the site from work. A few of us are addicted :laugh: