Supplements - Women's Weight Training (Beginnger)

Options
jleed53
jleed53 Posts: 53 Member
I want to start serious weight training / non-serious body building to tone everything up. I have the gym routine down pretty good, although I could use a personal trainer... but am wondering why type of supplements are good for beginner-women.

Thx
Jenn

Replies

• AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm curious about this as well.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Well.

Hydrolyzed Whey protein is good Post Workout with some carbohydrates (very little fat)

I do a shot of L-arginine preworkout with some creatine.

But the question is what are you intending to accomplish with the supplements?

Maybe start with a little Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy, that may be a good start for preworkout supplement.
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    no answer - i'd just also like to know
  • echeindl
    echeindl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I drink a vanilla EAS protein shake with whole milk after my work out, but that's all I do for supplements. I also make sure I eat foods high in proteins, such as I love having a cheeseburger if I go home right after my workout.
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love weight training. Im addicted to it now! I usually eat a protein bar (at least 10 grams of protein) or 1 scoop of whey protein powder before my workout and a protein shake with 2 scoops (40 grams of protein) after my workouts.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm into weight training, been consistent with it for around a year now. The only supplements I take are protein shakes/bars - I find the extra protein really helps in building/repairing muscle.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Well.

Hydrolyzed Whey protein is good Post Workout with some carbohydrates (very little fat)

hydrolyzed whey protein is a waste of money. you can get by with some whey isolate. or a good tasting blend.
    a good multivitamin is important (not some junky one a day thing)
    fish oil

those are what i would consider the staples.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Testosterone Enanthate 200mg ED for 8-12 weeks......JUST KIDDING

I think Whey, Casien protein and Animal Pak would help you vastly in the vitamins department....
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    Well.

hydrolyzed whey protein is a waste of money. you can get by with some whey isolate. or a good tasting blend.
    fish oil

Glutamine 3 times a day and L Arginine too
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Piece of fruit about 30min before you workout, protein shake 30-60min after your workout is all you really need as a beginner.

http://www.completenutrition.com/all_products/product_detail?object=7185

You may wanna stay away from this. Complete Nutrition is even more overpriced than GNC and the main ingredients are CLA and Flaxseed Oil. Both of which you can get much cheaper seperately and from different sources.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have protein poweder mixed with water, a woman's one a day tablet, a calcium with magnesium and vitamin D...and on the odd occasion I'll take evening primrose oil, but that's just because I have raging PMS. Just watch what you're eating, if you see you're low on some things like iron, on a regular basis, than look into an iron supplement...but keep your protein up, and don't be scared of carbs, you need the energy to lift the weights. Go to bodybuilder.com, I love the articles
  • thkelly
    Options

WASTE OF MONEY!!!!
  • lilRicki
    Options
    Well.

fish oil

ha there's nothing wrong with one a days...they give me the boost I need to maintain my calcium and iron levels...if i took them seperatly then I'd be WAY over...
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    Piece of fruit about 30min before you workout, protein shake 30-60min after your workout is all you really need as a beginner.

Not true.....Simple and complex carb pre workout and protein shake AND simple carbs post workout. without a carb post workout you pretty much defeat the purpose OF the workout.
  • thkelly
    Options

Not true.....Simple and complex carb pre workout and protein shake AND simple carbs post workout. without a carb post workout you pretty much defeat the purpose OF the workout.

come on now. you're really gonna make a blanket statement like that? i expect better from you jtuner
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    :embarassed:
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Now I am really confused.
  • lilRicki
    Options
    lol you might want to ask professionals...all we know is what works for us
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    lol you might want to ask professionals...all we know is what works for us

^^^ This ^^^
    Evidently no-one REALLY knows anything, again, just what works for us.