Protein

cvpopkern
cvpopkern Posts: 7
edited September 28 in Food and Nutrition
What is a good protein mix to buy? I want something with low sugar and low carbs... Something maybe more suited for females? Let me know what's out there :)

Also, let's be friendly to my wallet!

Replies

• End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    What is a good protein mix to buy? I want something with low sugar and low carbs... Something maybe more suited for females? Let me know what's out there :)

Depends on what you are going to use it for. Post workout or meal replacement. For post workout a simple whey protein is fine for a meal replacement you would be better off with a protein blend or mixing your whey protein with milk. Most brands are fine, take your pick. I personally use Nitrean by At Large Nutrition (protein blend) and ready-to-drink Muscle Milk shakes (whey) post workout.

Chocolate whole milk is also an excellent post workout drink and is cheaper but lower protein per serving.
  • cvpopkern
    So, let me get this straight...

I would be best off to buy a simple whey protein and mix it with water for post workout and I could then also choose to mix it with milk for a meal replacement?
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Optimum nutrition is a good, cheaper brand.

3g Carb, 1g Fat, 24g Protein per scoop.

Mixes pretty well with water or milk. Protein is protein, there is not a special kind just for women. You may be thinking of premade shakes that may be marketed towards women but your body processes whey protein just like mine does.
  • End6ame

I would be best off to buy a simple whey protein and mix it with water for post workout and I could then also choose to mix it with milk for a meal replacement?

Correct.
  • cvpopkern
    Optimum nutrition is a good, cheaper brand.

3g Carb, 1g Fat, 24g Protein per scoop.

Mixes pretty well with water or milk. Protein is protein, there is not a special kind just for women. You may be thinking of premade shakes that may be marketed towards women but your body processes whey protein just like mine does.

Well that's good to know! Thank you :)
  • cvpopkern

Correct.

Awesome! Thank you!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I would also recommend "Optimum Nutrition" 100% Whey. I use this myself, it's a reasonable price, low carb/fat. Around 110-130 cals and 24g protein. Also, most of the flavours taste really nice, especially the chocolate ones :-)
    Mix with water and it's great post workout, could also mix with milk.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member

NO such thing as suited for females. I recommend Optimum Nutrition 100% natural Whey protein. Low carbs, low sugar, taste great.....avoid Muscle Milk please
  • cvpopkern
    I would also recommend "Optimum Nutrition" 100% Whey. I use this myself, it's a reasonable price, low carb/fat. Around 110-130 cals and 24g protein. Also, most of the flavours taste really nice, especially the chocolate ones :-)
    Mix with water and it's great post workout, could also mix with milk.

Do you only use it once a day? As a post workout or a meal replacement? Or can you use it multiple times?
  • cvpopkern
    NO such thing as suited for females. I recommend Optimum Nutrition 100% natural Whey protein. Low carbs, low sugar, taste great.....avoid Muscle Milk please

What's wrong with Muscle Milk?
  • End6ame
    .....avoid Muscle Milk please

Why... the RTD's are great to just toss in your gym bag, and they taste great too.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Depends on what you are going to use it for. Post workout or meal replacement. For post workout a simple whey protein is fine for a meal replacement you would be better off with a protein blend or mixing your whey protein with milk. Most brands are fine, take your pick. I personally use Nitrean by At Large Nutrition (protein blend) and ready-to-drink Muscle Milk shakes (whey) post workout.

Chocolate whole milk is also an excellent post workout drink and is cheaper but lower protein per serving.
    Actually it really, really doesn't matter at all. The differences between things like whey and casein are only stressed by supplement companies. In terms of practical applications, the differences just don't exist. Rates of protein synthesis were pretty much equal between casein and whey post-exercise in an ACTUAL study I read, for example.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,638 Member
    I like the Gnc Pro Performance - Whey Isolate 28. it comes in 5 or 6 flavors (i only get the vanilla) mixes well with water or milk. Ofter at the GNC store they have a buy 1, get another at 1/2 price. 28 grams of protein and 130 cal per scoop. 2 scoops, 2 cups of milk and 10 oz of mixed berries make for a yummy shake.

But this is just my view and is worth the price you paid for it. :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.