Busy college student, looking to lose weight!

I just wanted to introduce myself...I'm Megan, I'm here to lose the birth control and "freshman fifteen" weight (for me, more like the freshman 20! yuck!) I'm wanting to get down to about 140 lbs (I;m 5'8"), but I am super super busy with school and work 5 days a week. Any one have any tips for me, who has been in a similar situation? I'm planning on just doing some jogging/walking or bike riding everyday that I can, as well as changing my diet...I don't have time or money to get to the gym, though I'd like to. Anyway, hello to everyone :)

Replies

• I just wanted to introduce myself...I'm Megan, I'm here to lose the birth control and "freshman fifteen" weight (for me, more like the freshman 20! yuck!) I'm wanting to get down to about 140 lbs (I;m 5'8"), but I am super super busy with school and work 5 days a week. Any one have any tips for me, who has been in a similar situation? I'm planning on just doing some jogging/walking or bike riding everyday that I can, as well as changing my diet...I don't have time or money to get to the gym, though I'd like to. Anyway, hello to everyone :)
  • From someone in your very shoes, let it be known: IT CAN BE DONE!

Welcome and good luck meeting all your goals!
  • Heya
    I also am I super busy college student! I'm at a polytechnic institute which means 31 hours of classes a week plus about 30 hours of homework! The only way I could have made it through the first year was going to the gym. I started out just doing one day a week in the morning before class time and soon it became a habit. Now I go 5-6 times a week, and I couldn't imagine going less! I'm less stressed with exercising, it keeps me eating properly, and I even sneak in some study time while doing cardio!

My best advice is to take baby steps, ease it into your school routine so you don't throw everything out of wack, get frustrated and give up. Mornings work for me best because the gym isn't busy and I haven't lost energy from studying through-out the day.

Hope this helps! Best of luck!
  • Just noticed you said you don't have money for the gym, I guess I forget my school is the only one that offers a free membership.
    Even getting out for morning walks, anything to get you moving and active will help with eating healthy! Because if you eat crappy foods, you feel crappy, then your walk will feel crappy.
    I know it feels like there is no time for exercise, but trust me once you get in to the habit and have it as a priority you wonder how your week could go without it. Not to mention how much better you'll be sleeping, giving you more time and energy to be awake for longer.

Again, good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • katyk08
    katyk08 Posts: 302
    From someone in your very shoes, let it be known: IT CAN BE DONE!

Welcome and good luck meeting all your goals!

Ditto this! Not only am I FT in college (Microbiology major nontheless) I work 24-72 hrs every 2 weeks and I have a 4 yr old :bigsmile:

Your school should have a gym or atleast a track..utilize this during lunch breaks. You will just have to make an effort if you really want, instead of sleeping in get up 1-2hrs early to do your exercise...just manage your time and write out a schedule if you have to. Also, pay close close attention to what and how much you are eating!!! Drink LOTS of h2o!!! Good luck! It can be done if you want it bad enough!

77669.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • Thanks for the tips! We do actually have a rec center which I have used once, but the time factor comes in for me since I work right after class usually, and am taking some hard classes so I usually study when I have time. Ugh! I am gonna try to sneak some work outs in though there, and do some at home if I can. Your tips are great! I'm gonna make it work this time.
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Same here being a college student. I'm first year Business Admin. Classes all week and my part time job for the weekend. My excercise is the track at my school. They let people jog, run and powerwalk up there. I'm going for a powerwalk right now (squeeze one in betwen classes)