so full with 800+ calorie deficiency

Options
I know I am supposed to eat my exercise calories and I understand the principle behind it. A couple times this week I haven't had time to grab anything for breakfast (usually 250-300 cal) and since I have been eating healthier my overall cal intake is less. On a regular basis (even when I have a solid breakfast) I have a 400-500 cal deficit after dinner.

I try to walk 45 minutes 3 times a week and that equals almost 400 calories burned giving me a deficit of nearly 800-900 calories that I am supposed to fill in a few hours before my "no eating before bed" zone kicks in.

I have seen people ask similar questions and get answers like 'eat fruit or nuts to bridge the gap' and that's fine. However it takes quite a bit of fruit and nuts to fill in 900 calories and most of the time I'm just not hungry since I had dinner only a few hours ago.

I drink a protein shake with milk and fruit sometimes, that buys me 350 cal but I am soooo full afterward there is no way I could eat/drink more.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Replies

• pizzygirltx
    Options
    when cooking or as part of your salad dressing (if you eat salads) use extra virgin olive oil. Its 120 calories for a tablespoon and doesn't really add volume to what you are eating.
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    bump I have the same issue especially when I burn a lot of calories... or do 2 exercise workouts in a day... would love to hear replies
  • seardefilip
    Options
    The rule of thumb that I have read recently is if you are full don't eat. Especially if you are eating healthy and exercising- Throughout the week you may be more hungry and will reabsorb some of those calories- Not sure if this will help but I wouldn't stress TOO much about it however 800 cals is a lot...
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I don't see how anyone could not eat more lol. I'm always hungry....
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    bump I have the same issue especially when I burn a lot of calories... or do 2 exercise workouts in a day... would love to hear replies

BUMP...I have the same issue!!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you on?

How about adding some extra cals to your current meals with things like avocado, which is healthy but high in calories.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    What a problem to have.....
  • plentyoo7
    plentyoo7 Posts: 38
    Options
    natural peanut butter! I had the same problem you are having now. Natural PB, that kind that sticks to your ribs, helps bring up your calorie count. Good luck!
  • Sedonafan
    Sedonafan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I completely disagree with "eating your excercise calories". It may sound harsh, but I believe that that is taking the easy way out. The only real science is calories in vs. calories out. There is no reason to eat more than you need to, period. Eating more than you need to gets you into the spot that we are all in currently. My advice, don't eat the exercise calories! You will reach your goal a lot quicker AND you won't be having to force yourself to eat.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I completely disagree with "eating your excercise calories". It may sound harsh, but I believe that that is taking the easy way out. The only real science is calories in vs. calories out. There is no reason to eat more than you need to, period. Eating more than you need to gets you into the spot that we are all in currently. My advice, don't eat the exercise calories! You will reach your goal a lot quicker AND you won't be having to force yourself to eat.
    That's what I thought we were supposed to do... I'm so confused now. I always have a daily calorie deficit and it's usually quite significant. I may have to start up a new thread to address this new concern I have lol
  • kowskey
    kowskey Posts: 19 Member
    Options

You'll also kick your body into starvation mode and wake up one morning twenty pounds heavier, with no clue what happened.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I would suggest planning your day out the night before to keep you from having to worry about how to squeeze something in after a workout, but that wasn't the question. I like making a half almond butter and jelly on whole wheat, especially if it's close to bed time - the complex carbs with protein combo keeps me full until I fall asleep. Hard boiled eggs or string cheese would do it, too, or a protein shake if you're really not hungry (you're still thirsty, right?).
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you on?

How about adding some extra cals to your current meals with things like avocado, which is healthy but high in calories.

800 calories is a lot NOT to eat back....I agree with adding things that are healthy but have a high caloric value (avocados, peanut butter, etc...) should help bridge part of that gap.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I say, if you are not hungry don't eat! As long as you are eating balanced nutritional foods. I think you will be fine. Your carb, fat, and protein intake are more important than calories. My body lets me know if it's hungry or not.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd say when you're full stop eating.
  • mumma2boyz
    mumma2boyz Posts: 109 Member
    Options

You ultimately need to listen to your body. If you are eating 5-6x per day, drinking water, getting enough nutrition, then I wouldn't worry about eating them back. However, if you are hungry, EAT! Just be sure you don't go over the calories allotted to you by MFP. For smoeone like me on a 1200 cal diet WITHOUT EXERCISE, my body would completely shut down if I didn't eat some of my exercise calories back.

This isn't a race. Losing 1% of your bodyweight per week is very healthy. Anythign more than that and you are probably losing muscle.
  • Mysticmarduk
    Options
    My first suggestion would be to remember to have a breakfast. Even a quick shake in the morning or as a snack throughout the day could make up most of that deficeit.
    When i first started watching my calories i found I was in your exact boat. I constantly skipped breakfast, barely hit 900 or 1k most days and only sometimes hit 1200.
    2 months of watching calories and not loosing weight (in fact i gained 10 pounds) I finally figured out my BMR and now that I know i need 1600 a day bare minimum the only way i can get that is to eat something High calories in the morning so that i'm not super low come dinner time.

Second suggestion is treat yourself to something High in calories and light on the stomach shortly before you excercise.
  • rpasieka
    rpasieka Posts: 1
    Options
    Interesting thread, the issue I see is that I hit my fat loss goal weight, and now want to bulk up. I too have a caloric deficeit, and full at the end of the day. If I don't eat my excersize cals, I continue to lose weight. Now what?
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    The principle of eating your exercise calories at MFP is good, but doesn't work for everyone.

I think the first rule is...if you are not hungry, don't eat. Part of maintaining a healthy weight is to ONLY eat when you're hungry. So, don't eat.

The other thing about exercise calories is...how accurate are they? The calories estimated that you've burned may overestimated.

A compromise might be to try and eat half your exercise calories back, if you're hungry.
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Every now and again I run into that same problem. You might try lowering your daily calories. On a typical day I'll burn 400-600 calories and on more intense days I;ll burn 800-1000 calories. It helps to have my daily calories set at 1200 or 1300 then it's not as much of a struggle. I think if you can end the day with about 300 calories left then you'd be in good shape. You might try adding a few extra ounces of proten to each meal. It would add in some calories but not make you feel overly full.