Over protein goal, How bad is this?

Options
natijade
natijade Posts: 146 Member
Hey, for the last 2 days I've been under on my calories but well over my protein goal... just wondered what this means? Not had chance to do any exercise otherwise I wouldn't be quite so worried.. how much will this effect my weight loss?

Replies

• Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Your protein goal is only 15% of your caloric intake, which isn't very high, so I definitely wouldn't worry about going over it. (In fact I'm sure some people would encourage raising it).
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I go over mine a lot. The things I really try to stay at the limit on are sugar and fat. I try to watch sodium closely too, but I never worry about protein.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    The settings for protein on here are very low. No worries. I am doing a very high protein diet right now and I will be way over every day. If it bothers you set it higher, you can set the numbers where ever you want. Than you won't have to see that red number lol.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    if you are going to go over in anything it should be protien. it burns through your body quickly if i am not mistaken like 4x the rate of empty cals. no worries have that chicken breast if you are hungry..
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    I go over mine more often than I do not. I just keep an eye on calories, carbs, fat and sodium.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you're going over...if you're doubling or tripling your goal, this could wreak havok on your kidneys and be bad for you in the long run. Going over a few grams here and there won't do you any harm...If I'm over a few grams on protein or fiber I see it as a good thing, as those are good things to go over on...your body thrives on them both...but excess in anything is never good.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Think of your protein goal as the minimum that you should have. MFP sets it to 15%, personally I have mine set at 40% and still try and go over every day. Protein is great for your muscles and for weight loss.
  • muzicgurl02
    Options
    I got a high metabolism so that means I need more protein everyday to stay energized. Like everyone else says mfp has it set at 15% and you can easily change it to fit your needs. I wouldn't worry that you go over the protein goal.
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Think of your protein goal as the minimum that you should have. MFP sets it to 15%, personally I have mine set at 40% and still try and go over every day. Protein is great for your muscles and for weight loss.

I'm the same. I have adjusted mine to 35%.
  • natijade
    Options
    Thanks very much everyone, that's put my mind at rest, will set it a bit higher I think so I don't get worried again! Thanks for the speedy replies :) x
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Going over mine is a daily occurrence for me. Mine is set to 40%.
    Unless you have kidney problems, this should not hinder progress.
  • natijade
    Options
    How/where do I change the % of protein?
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options

My Home->Goals->change goals->Custom-> Adjust as you like.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Protein is okay to go over! I wish I could hit my goal on a daily basis!
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    higher protein with exercise actually helps me with my weight loss. it is very low on here
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    It is ok to go over, I have mine custom set based on what my doctor wants me to follow.

Based on that, your day of 83 grams is fine but the day with 125 grams is getting up there. Usually only men lifting weights do that much.

Other thing is if you do the higher protein, make sure you are getting in your fiber, higher protein will clog you up if don't get in the fiber. Veggies are great and so is benefiber - powder or sugar free chewables.

Best of Luck!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    It is ok to go over, I have mine custom set based on what my doctor wants me to follow.

Based on that, your day of 83 grams is fine but the day with 125 grams is getting up there. Usually only men lifting weights do that much.

Other thing is if you do the higher protein, make sure you are getting in your fiber, higher protein will clog you up if don't get in the fiber. Veggies are great and so is benefiber - powder or sugar free chewables.

Best of Luck!

I am losing about 3.5lbs a week and I generally eat 130-160g of protein a day, I also try to keep carbs at 120g or lower. Generally close to 1g of protein for every lb you weigh is good (unless you have a pre-existing kidney problem).
  • natijade
    Options

Best of Luck!

Thanks for that. Based on that I think its possible that I haven't been getting enough protein before as I was, errm..the opposite of clogged up. Usually have plenty of fiber so should be alright.

Thanks so much for all the help everyone! Definitely going to try and make sure I have more protein as I've felt really satisfied the last 2 days..although a little too much today, well under my calorie goal :S

I know this is an entirely different question but can anyone tell me what is a good amount of sodium so aim for..the normal setting MFP has seems pretty high??
  • natijade
    Options

Thanks have changed it to 20% as I don't want my fat to be too much lower than it is, but will not worry if I go a little over.
  • natijade
    Options

Thanks have changed it to 20% as I don't want my fat to be too much lower than it is, but will not worry if I go a little over.