How do you tone once you reach goal?

Options
Hello!
My question is about toning after you've made your goal. I really don't know much about this topic and although I am almost at my goal, I just feel like my body does not look firm and strong. Do you up your calories to maintenance and just focus on strength training? I would love to hear what many of you have done.
Thanks!

Replies

• beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    Combine cardio with strength training for two reasons.
    1. Muscle burns fat at a higher rate
    2. Muscle gives the body the firm look you are looking for

Oh yeah and you'll reach your goal faster! Hope this helps
  • princess_in_power
    princess_in_power Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    A word of caution, start measuring your inches now! =)

Because as you build muscle, your weight may "appear" to plateau, but your inches will continue to decrease!!!

So that you don't loose motivation, measure, measure! Once you are at goal, switch to measure (not weigh) =D
    And measurements do change slightly slower, so although you can measure every day, you really don't need to more then once/twice a week (and MFP suggests every 2 wks)

ETA:: Congrats on your weight loss success! =D
  • emmerrs
    emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Any time anyone asks about toning, I love to send them to this web page. Free workouts by some really great trainers on youtube! They have all kinds of workouts focusing on toning all of the different muscles in your body.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ToneItUpcom

Check it out!! :)
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I am actually not quite at goal (I pushed my goal weight out five pounds so I've got ten pounds to go). However, I am switching my focus to strength training since I've lost the bulk of my weight.

I started working with a boxing trainer who has me lift 5 lb, 8lb, and 12 lb hand weights as well as work the heavy bag. I'm doing situps, crunches, lunges, leg lifts, and pushups.

I'm not where I want to be with my strength training...I kind of "fell off the wagon" a little bit, but I'm getting back into the game today. I'm hoping to strengthen my core muscles and arms.
  • 44isthenew29
    44isthenew29 Posts: 141
    Options
    For me, I found that by doing circuit training i.e. Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 really started to change the shape of my body. I did that for the requisite 30 days and now I am doing a moderately difficult kettlebell routine several times a week - I am just about ready to move up to a 20 pound bell. My legs, arms, back and core muscles are becoming much stronger and more defined. And, after being away from running for several years, I purchased a new pair of sneaks and tried them out tonight. I was surprised by my endurance - I didn't go far, but my stride was strong as was my breathing. Don't be afraid to try new things and to mix it up! Hope this helps!
  • Annie5859
    Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input! It really helps. :)