Greek Yogurt

Options
2»

Replies

• FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    I get the dannon's brand

it may not taste delicious at first. but when you are on a move, and need something quick. perfect for calories, low on carb, and high in protein. and if you really still dont like it. add a little of honey and some fruits and BAM!!! you will notice. its a different feel to it. and not only that. you start to like it and bam!!! you are HOOKED!
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I heard great things about it, too, and finally tried it for myself a few months ago. I absolutely LOVE it! I must warn you that the plain flavor is kind of strange tasting if you are expecting the traditional "American" yogurt. It is a lot thicker (which I prefer) and almost has a sour cream taste to it. My favorite brand is the Fage yogurt (you can find it almost everywhere including generic markets and Trader Joe's) and I take them to work for breakfast. My favorite flavor is the 2% with Honey but the other fruit flavors are delicious as well. I like them not only because they taste great but because they pack a lot of Protein and are low in fat. I highly recommend trying it out!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I tried Chobani and absolutely loved it so I've not tried other brands. I get the plain non-fat, I've tried the ones with fruit but found I didn't like them at all. I do put the plain on fresh fruit though and it's great.

It is thicker and has a much stronger taste.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I eat supermarket's own fat free version with frozen berries, it's lovely!
    I also mix it with my tuna.
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    So it sounds like I am going to get some of this tomorrow (pay day) when I go get my groceries!!

I am worried about the calories though... I am eating Source 35 cals / 100 g yogurt right now and I think it is one of the lowest calorie yogurts.

But I guess I can try this greek yogurt thing - need the protein!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Natural greek yoghurt with fruit is lovely and so very good for you!
  • 69mustang
    69mustang Posts: 185
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt. It's thick kinda like sour cream and has a bit of a tang to it but its not over powering. I love it with mixed berries or sliced banana for breakfast. The brand I buy is 140 cals, 0 fat and 16 gr of protein for 175 grams, you get more per serving and its a thicker yogurt so it fills you up more. I used to eat the 35 cal Source to but I really prefer the Greek yogurt now.

We are a bit limited on brands up here but hopefully soon we will more kinds so I can find one with a bit less sugar.
  • BhanGoes
    BhanGoes Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Agree re: honey yogurt! Over the top delish.
  • BhanGoes
    BhanGoes Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Once you find a brand and flavor(s) you enjoy, try finding them at a wholesale club. My CostCo store carries Chobani (my favorite); I eat two cups of Greek yogurt a day, as my mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks, so buying in bulk makes dollars-and-cents!
  • matriarchy
    Options
    If you want to save a LOT of money, buy a quart of store brand of regular plain nonfat yogurt ($1.67 at a discount store). Line a strainer with a paper towel, put it over a bowl, and dump in the yogurt. Let it sit for about an hour, and about one cup of whey will drain off. Then I put it back into the original container. You can sweeten it a bit, if you want - try mixing in a tablespoon of raw sugar or honey. I also like to cook down fruit, like peaches or strawberries, with no added sugar, and mix it into the yogurt.

If you let it drain longer you get a sour cream thickness. Overnight, you get cream cheese.
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Is whey bad?
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Fage (2%) and Chobani are my favorite brands. Depending on the flavor, you're looking at a 120-130 calories. Or the honey version of Fage, which is 180 calories. It's one of my main protein sources for breakfast.
  • laceylovespink
    Options
    my favorite brand is OIKOS too...I use it instead of sour cream and sometimes instead of mayonaise...i don't really notice that much difference :)
  • Metalhead187
    Options
    I love greek yogurt! I buy the Olympus Traditional Greek Nonfat Yogurt brand. It is imported from greece, I guess zeus himself makes this yogurt at mt olympus! :D