Food That Makes You Hungrier

Options
lhanks89
lhanks89 Posts: 90 Member
I've noticed that after eating certain foods like carrots and apples, I'm actually hungrier than I was before I ate them. The same applies to many other vegetables that I eat, which is a HUGE problem because I'm a vegetarian. I've tried to eat not as many processed foods like pasta or bread, but if all I eat is fruit and vegetables I have to eat almost ALL DAY.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Start eating more beans and other protein rich foods.
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yep- protein and fat are satiating, carbs raises your blood sugar and then drops it right down.
  • mimimeme6
    mimimeme6 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes! You are the only other person I have ever heard of that gets hungry after eating an apple! I am not crazy!
  • lhanks89
    Options
    Yes! You are the only other person I have ever heard of that gets hungry after eating an apple! I am not crazy!

Definitely not crazy. I told my mom about it, and she says that apples are supposed to fill you up. It just doesnt work that way for me although I wish it did :(
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry after fruit. Veggies that fill me up without fail are broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes. You're not crazy.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Apples. They actually have a chemical inside them that makes you hungrier.
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables don't fill me up at all either, I'm right there with you. What works for me is having some protein with whatever fruits or vegetables I'm having, protein fills me up! For a vegetarian it could mean peanut butter on the apple.
  • tukrainets
    tukrainets Posts: 119
    Options
    bump....
    really need to know because i am very hungry after eating carrots or apples.. oranges.. raspberries..
  • emmajane_2288
    emmajane_2288 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    When I saw this forum post I immediately thought 'apples!!!' so don't worry, you aren't alone!

I try not to eat apples when I'm hungry now ( as crazy as it sounds) cos they actually make me feel worse lol
  • LamsieDee
    LamsieDee Posts: 85
    Options
    I feel like this too....try dipping it in peanut butter...the protein helps you feel full longer
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I find that high sugar foods will make me crave more of them. Most of the foods listed here seem to be very high sugar, so it could be that.

Btw, I'm a vegan. Take a look at my diary if you like. If you want any of the recipes, just ask.
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    OMG I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM! im usually hungrier after eating an apple, which is so sad :(
    some people said they eat apples with peanut butter, and that helps. but i never actually tried it.
    thats why i avoid eating apples in the morning. i usually eat a banana after breakfast.
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Definitely not crazy. I told my mom about it, and she says that apples are supposed to fill you up. It just doesnt work that way for me although I wish it did :(

My mother always says the same thing! Growing up I was always told to "eat an apple" after complaining about being hungry. I've had literally thousands of apples over the course of my life (I live about 1/4 mile from an orchard) and not once has it ever made me less hungry.
  • lhanks89
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables don't fill me up at all either, I'm right there with you. What works for me is having some protein with whatever fruits or vegetables I'm having, protein fills me up! For a vegetarian it could mean peanut butter on the apple.

I've tried my apples with peanut butter, but it's like they cancel eachother out. Especially since I only want to use 2 tbsp. of peanut butter because of the high calories.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yeppers. I am also vegetarian and I could eat every 15 minutes if I were to live on veggies. I do a couple of protein shakes every day (mixed with soy milk) and also try to add greek yogurt or cottage cheese for protein throughout the day. I also eat my apples with PB2 (or peanut butter) which makes them last longer in my belly because it has some protein. Also, I take fiber (mixed with water) in the morning and at night at that helps keep me full. I still have to eat every couple of hours........
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    I eat my apples with almond butter and find that helps. The thing that makes me hungrier is oatmeal - I know its not supposed to but it does. Must be a genetic thing as my daughter is the same way.:smile:
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Huh. Apples and oranges have always filled me up and held me till my next meal. Things like granola bars, cheese sticks and stuff usually make my stomach angry and ask for more as soon as I'm done! Suuuuper annoying. :/
  • AdorablePanda
    AdorablePanda Posts: 125 Member
    Options

That sounds delicious! I gotta try that one day. :-)
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    Also try hummus with the carrots:smile:
  • GooneyAngel
    Options
    Try a complex carb diet. I eat lots of brown rice and beans, get full and am satsified for longer periods of time. BTW, complex carbs do NOT spike your blood sugar. Their nutrients are released slowly into your system, therefore only releasing smaal amounts of insulin. Hope this helps!