Juat a question

Options
:wink: I have seen some people on here use their HRM when just doing things around the house etc.. Benefits from that?

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I've used mine to get an idea of what I actually burn in the entire day :smile:
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    Personally I think it is simply a way of people cheating themselves into believing they can eat more calories.

Wear the HRM, count the calories from cleaning the house, enter it as exercise and then have extra calories to eat.

But by that logic I assume these people wouldn't clean their house if they weren't on a diet...

I don't want it to seem like I'm slamming anyone, but personally I wear the HRM ONLY WHEN I AM AT THE GYM!!! Everything else is daily life. Even if I was not making my own changes, cleaning, walking the dog, walking to work, taking the stairs etc... are all part of daily life.

Oh but by all means, if it works for them, great :)
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I've used mine to get an idea of what I actually burn in the entire day :smile:

HRMs can't accurately calculate your calorie burn if your heart rate isn't elevated.
    "A heart rate monitor estimates calories during physical activity like running, rowing and cycling by using a complex formula: heart rate during physical activity multiply some personal information = calories. However, it doesn't calculate calorie burn accurately when you're not exercising. And because people generally spend only about 25% of their day being physically active, you don't get a complete picture of your daily calorie usage."
    (source: http://www.kiperformance.co.uk/what_is_ki_fit/the_difference.aspx)

If you want to calculate your total daily burn, you need something like a BodyBugg, BodyMedia Fit or FitBit
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Personally I think it is simply a way of people cheating themselves into believing they can eat more calories.

Wear the HRM, count the calories from cleaning the house, enter it as exercise and then have extra calories to eat.

But by that logic I assume these people wouldn't clean their house if they weren't on a diet...

I don't want it to seem like I'm slamming anyone, but personally I wear the HRM ONLY WHEN I AM AT THE GYM!!! Everything else is daily life. Even if I was not making my own changes, cleaning, walking the dog, walking to work, taking the stairs etc... are all part of daily life.

Oh but by all means, if it works for them, great :)

I don't use an HRM, nor have I really heard of it. And while you said you're not "slamming anyone," it certainly seems as if you are! I definitely log in taking the stairs (if it's an excessive amount) because I used to always take the elevator, so that's strain on my body that it's not used to therefore works it harder and burns a little calories. All the other activities you listed burn great calories as well, even if it's a daily thing for you. People should log every activity and be proud of themselves for the different choices they're making and not think to themselves that it's no big deal. I eat my exercise calories because according to this plan, that's what you're to do, but I don't exercise for the sake of being able to eat more. And according to your theory that's the only reason people do. Just because certain activities are a part of your daily lifestyle, doesn't mean they are of someone else's and this is a forum to support people, not give them back-handed support.
  • Agglaki
    Options
    I don't use an HRM, nor have I really heard of it. And while you said you're not "slamming anyone," it certainly seems as if you are! I definitely log in taking the stairs (if it's an excessive amount) because I used to always take the elevator, so that's strain on my body that it's not used to therefore works it harder and burns a little calories. All the other activities you listed burn great calories as well, even if it's a daily thing for you. People should log every activity and be proud of themselves for the different choices they're making and not think to themselves that it's no big deal. I eat my exercise calories because according to this plan, that's what you're to do, but I don't exercise for the sake of being able to eat more. And according to your theory that's the only reason people do. Just because certain activities are a part of your daily lifestyle, doesn't mean they are of someone else's and this is a forum to support people, not give them back-handed support.

Oh dear, it seems like I've been misunderstood :(
    Again my intention wasn't to belittle anyone or the choices they make. If anything the sheer fact they have started to take an interest in what they eat, what they do is a step in a right direction.

I was simply giving my opinion on the matter. But in the interest of trying to explain my position, I'll try to make my point a bit clearer. As I said it was never to "slam anyone". I was just trying to put across my point of view.

But in case I was misunderstood I'll try to clarify my previous post. Say for example someone buys a dog. They would need to walk the dog, play with the dog, feed the dog etc....this is what a responsible owner should be doing on a daily basis. Regardless of if they are trying to gain muscle, drop fat, make a lifestyle change etc...

If a year after they purchase the dog they decide to start a weight loss program, and all of a sudden they start logging what should be a part of daily life as exercise it allows them to increase the number of calories they are allowed to eat and they eat beyond the plan.

Sure all the extra bits and pieces of exercise add up, and that is great! But you have to also remember that the calorie counts are never accurate either, I try to log everything I eat, but even then numbers might be incorrect, amounts might be off. As a result my opinion of all these "extra" daily activities is that they simply offset inaccurate diary entries.

The above example comes from first hand experience, and I've debated this with the person in question time and time again.

As for your example of taking the stairs, I agree if you were doing an excessive amount by all means count it. When I had mentioned the stairs in my previous post I was actually thinking of those who might decide to log 2 or 3 flights of stairs they take in the office or at home....But I think a very important question to ask is where do you draw the line and say the stairs is no longer part of exercise, but part of your daily life?

To me exercise calories or recording exercise calories should only take place when you dedicate time to actually exercising. Not when you have to pop to the shops to buy some milk.

Ultimately, my point is that when people start using HRMs to record aspects of life which they would do regardless of their exercise goals it seems to be a case of doing so in order to boost their numbers.
  • zombiefruit
    Options
    I think there is a possibility of problems if you already have your daily calorie intake set to a fairly active lifestyle, because you do a lot of housework and so forth, and then you ALSO log the calories burned from that, then you're basically doubling up on those calories.
  • denyse24
    denyse24 Posts: 62
    Options
    I don,t do that because that is included in your normal daily calorie burn but if I am doing major house cleaning or raking or something substantial then it can be useful otherwize do not use it for normal daily routine.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I think if they have set their lifestyle to sedentary, then MFP calculates that into the allowance they give you.

For example, I'm not working so I've set my lifestyle to sedentary. That (IMO) allows me to log pretty much anything I want, providing I feel it elevates my heart rate.

I haven't done this to allow me to eat more calories, I've done this because my life does not have the same routine as it did when I was teaching. When I was teaching, to get from my classroom to the staffroom was pretty much a walk the length of the school, so I would have included that in my lifestyle, as I would do it x number of times 5 days a week. At home, I do not vacuum x number of times 5 days a week, so that isn't part of my daily routine (although maybe it should be!).

I think it's up to the individual person to decide what is in their daily routine and what isn't. As for accuracy, for every exercise on here that (for my stats) gives an inaccurate calorie burn reading, there are several foods listed that give very optimistic calorie and nutritional readings! So, maybe it all equals out?

The analogy of getting a dog was quite good, but I would say that what if:
    1. The person bought a dog to help motivate them to exercise, and just by walking it daily they were improving their fitness levels
    and
    2. They joined the fitness programme, but didn't include dog-walking as part of their daily routine - i.e. some people just think of it as a chore, not as exercise!

It's always going to be a grey issue on here because of the diverse nature of the site and the reasons for people joining...if you're logging dog walking, house cleaning, whatever and still losing, then great. If you're logging it and not losing, maybe look at your settings....do what works for you!
  • Agglaki
    Options
    It's always going to be a grey issue on here because of the diverse nature of the site and the reasons for people joining...if you're logging dog walking, house cleaning, whatever and still losing, then great. If you're logging it and not losing, maybe look at your settings....do what works for you!

An excellent all round post and did a better job at summing up what I was trying to say :)

For me, I think this last paragraph was an excellent summation and is worthy of a second montion!
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I don,t do that because that is included in your normal daily calorie burn but if I am doing major house cleaning or raking or something substantial then it can be useful otherwize do not use it for normal daily routine.

Like normal cleaning the toilet then I wouldn't log. BUT if I gut the kids room, and rearrange it, then hell yeah I will log that... BECAUSE I do not do that everyday. SEE?
  • pbolton16
    pbolton16 Posts: 87
    Options

Nicely said and a persona fitness trainer I work with had the same words about the use as you did. We all have different lifestyles and when we switch the norm ( stairs to elevator) we should monitor and see want the difference is for motivation and accuracy. Looks like you have a plan and I am happy to see it working. Good luck