Fiber goal seems low

Options
duckpond11
duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
I started looking at my fiber intake a few days ago. What is the deal with the fiber targets on MFP? I see that mine is 16, but I read everywhere I should be eating at least 25. That said, it is really hard for me to get that much fiber and stay under my calorie goals, and I am eating lots of fruits and veggies. I just don't want to have to consume a lot of grains to get there. I got nothin' against grains, they are just calorically dense and so I am trying to reduce my intake. I also don't want to eat weird bars, cereal, powdered stuff etc. I always thought I'd do fine if I just ate plenty of fruits and veggies, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I ate a cup of cooked brocolli and a cup of cooked kale for lunch and still only managed to get 5 grams of fiber for that meal. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    MFP's fiber goal is low. From what I've read 25 for women and 35 for men are good goals to hit. I eat grains so I'm really not sure if I would be of much help, but you could try seeds and certain nuts and nut butters. They're high in unsaturated fats and also have fiber in them.

EDIT: And don't forget about the magical fruit.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    MFP's fiber goal is low. From what I've read 25 for women and 35 for men are good goals to hit. I eat grains so I'm really not sure if I would be of much help, but you could try seeds and certain nuts and nut butters. They're high in unsaturated fats and also have fiber in them.

Rasberries are magical.....8 grams of fiber in a one cup serving. :flowerforyou:
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options

Rasberries are magical.....8 grams of fiber in a one cup serving. :flowerforyou:

lol that one too! :)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I often hit 50g a day and I have trouble eating enough calories... and all I eat are grains and veg :tongue:
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    You can add something like Benefiber, they have tasteless powder and sugar free chewables.
  • Jackie_Snape80
    Options
    Strawberries, apples, wheat bread, and oatmeal for fiber are all simple, fast and cheap. That's how I get mine in on a regular basis anyways. The setting seems kinda low to me too; I'm almost always 10+ over it(around 30-40g a a day) Of course, I'm completely veg, so it's easy for me XD
  • 69mustang
    69mustang Posts: 185
    Options
    MFP has my fiber set at 15 grams but I still aim for 25. 1 cup of oatmeal is only about 150 cals and has about 4 grams of fiber, raspberries are a great choice as well as almonds, beans and quinoa. Not all grains are high in calories, just have to do a bit of searching.
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I guess the target is low because the overall calorie target is low - fiber is a percentage of your total calories. I suppose when my calorie target is raised (for maintainence) I'll be at recommended levels. Meanwhile, sounds like I should just throw in some grains and beans.