Water Fasting Any fans?

Options
I have water fasted several times over the last 2 years. I have done 2 for 40 days each, and several shorter ones. If there are fans out there that enjoy this. I started a new one today. I always talk with my doctor before doing one. But I wanted to pass on a link to a site that is loaded with tons of information as-well-as a forum. Great fun!! Anyone currently in a water fast?

Replies

• momto3hmn
    Options
    I have water fasted several times over the last 2 years. I have done 2 for 40 days each, and several shorter ones. If there are fans out there that enjoy this. I started a new one today. I always talk with my doctor before doing one. But I wanted to pass on a link to a site that is loaded with tons of information as-well-as a forum. Great fun!! Anyone currently in a water fast?
  • momto3hmn
    Options
  • NewMK08
    NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have the dicipline to do a water fast...Especially for 40 days! Geez-Do you not feel weak or get sick??
  • momto3hmn
    Options
    The first few days, are usually the toughest, a few small headaches, and sometimes standing up I get a little dizzy. But after that first few days I gain more pure energy, and feel super good. As your body gets rid of toxins and other things, it just gives a good feeling. It's also a great way to jump start weight loss, I lost 135 pounds in 2 years fasting on and off and reintroducing the foods I want to eat. The link I put in the second blurb, has a lot of great info. :flowerforyou:
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Well, this caught my attention so I read some of the info and it does say to start with on meal first as only water so I am going to look more inot that than trying to do 40 days at once! Any helpful tips for the water fasting?:drinker:
  • momto3hmn
    Options
    I suggest reading through the site. http://www.fitnessthroughfasting.com/index.html It's has always been easy for me with on and offs and no in betweens. If I know I'm going to fast I take a few days to prepare my mind for it. I know to eat healthy and mentally gear up for it. Usually the first few days can be kind of rough and it's also part of the unknown. Being unsure of things can draw back what you're aiming for. Deep cleansing kind of happens when you get into day 5 and 7, it's kind of like really old gook coming out of the body (gross I know) but these gooks that stay in us can later in life cause colon cancer or other diseases). There is also a great juice fast, where you juice fresh vegetables for a period of time. The detoxification takes a little longer, but also very healthy and a great way to start weight loss.

I personally notice that I tend to be more chilly in a longer fasting period. Exercise is still great to do, but my doc recommends that I tone it down to maybe walking 30 to 60 minutes a day or every other day. It can be a very spiritual thing for a lot of people. A great sense of satisfaction comes from this for me as well. Also my doc noted that the first few days you tend to lose the water weight your body has retained as extra, and between day 3 and 5 your body starts using the fat as fuel. This is where some people thinks your body goes into hibernate mode causing some people not to lose weight. That's not true. But to each their own.

I just want to note that after my 40 day fasts, and I start to introduce food again, I do it slowly, but I never put weight back on. It's a great way as well to start off with the foods you want to eat. My sister started her vegan diet after a 40 day fast. If you do it, I hope you find enjoyment and self satisfaction out of it. And I'm here if you want a buddy to do it with!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • freakaleek1
    freakaleek1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have done a water fast! For 7 days. I would do it again! i did it beacuse i had such bad headaches and IBS. It fixed both for awhile.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how anyone can live off of just water for 40 days. Do you take any vitamins? I don't see how this could possibly be healthy or fun. A few days maybe but more than a month? I could see how it could become spiritual though. In the same way near death experiences are. But I am definitely not a doctor or an expert of any kind. To each his own. I wish you luck with your weight loss journey.

Have a great weekend everyone! :happy:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Okay if you are losing any weight from this it is mainly because there is no "waste" in your body and as soon as you eat the waste will be back in there, and because you are losing muscle. Your body needs protien, not water, to build and maintain muscle and carbohidrates to give those muscles energy. Being light headed is your bodies way of telling you it is sick and needs some energy.

I strongly recommend that you ask a doctor before doing this, and make sure you tell them exactly what you are planning to do. Let them know that you will not consume anything but water for days, and that you will not consume any nutrients what so ever. Unless you use the "salt" that web site is trying to sell you.
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    Hmm is it just the skeptic in me that makes me think this is more a post to advertise a product than an actual person who really wants to change their lifestyle? I noticed in reading this persons first post that they claimed to have lost 135 lbs in 2 years but yet they are on here now saying that they need to lose 115 pounds. :huh: I think I will stick to the advise that many on here (who have successfully lost and kept the weight off) that fasting is not the way to go. Once again, if it seems too good to be true then it probably is.
  • momto3hmn
    Options
    Again, it's up to anyone to decide how long they want to fast for. You don't lose any muscle meat until after 40 days, 40 days is extreme for some. But that is why longer than a 40 day has never ever been recommended. That's why I see my doc well before I plan one of these. As far as it being healthy for you, again that's a personal comfort level, for you and your doc to decide on. It's not a near death experience either. I like the feedback it's pretty interesting to see what people have to say about it. And as always everyone is different and can tolerate things at different rates. Letting the bad out is extremely well, but when you restart you can always restart with the most natural and stay away from all the processed stuff. I wish you all luck, and if anyone is interested in it or has concerns, visit with your doc and follow up reading, there is tons of it on the web! and many views and stats are posted as well!! Those that do these, Congrats!! Enjoy and feel great!!!!!!!! :love: :flowerforyou:
  • momto3hmn
    Options
    Hmm is it just the skeptic in me that makes me think this is more a post to advertise a product than an actual person who really wants to change their lifestyle? I noticed in reading this persons first post that they claimed to have lost 135 lbs in 2 years but yet they are on here now saying that they need to lose 115 pounds. huh I think I will stick to the advise that many on here (who have successfully lost and kept the weight off) that fasting is not the way to go. Once again, if it seems too good to be true then it probably is.

I at my current place of work am participating in the "biggest loser" game. and were all here on this site, it's motivational, and great to be around other people all aiming at the same thing. Yes 135 down and 111 to go. water fasting is not a way of life!! It's a mode of conversation and interest!! hehe I wasn't dragging anyone in! I asked if there were any fans!!

it would be like me telling you who to vote for... right? But I wouldn't do that either! and I wouldn't suggest anything to anyone other than some kind words.
  • momto3hmn
    Options
    Anna,

if you read my first comment it says I see a doctor before I do this. Do some research on it. you find both good and bad about it due to misconception and peoples fear.

Again you don't lose muscle for quite some time. and also a 40 day fast is extreme, but can be done. you can get light headed from medications, foods, age, pregnancy, and many other things as well, that does not mean your sick, and fasting is not a means of being sick!! I appreciate the comments.. but again strongly urge you to speak to a professional!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Just a friendly FYI....

Most research indicates that weight lost during a fast is quickly regained, and then metabolism can actually be lowered, resulting in weight gain that can continue long after the initial loss from the fast.

There are the same principles that go for not lowering your calories below 1200 a day - the long term effect is not helpful to lasting weight loss.
    :flowerforyou:
  • alifelessevident
    Options
    someday i will have the faith and willpower to do some fasting for more than a day..lol but definitely see a doctor if you are gonna try it for more a than a day or so- just to prevent anything you may not have thought about... i would like to someday have the strength mentally/spiritually to do a 40 day fast, I have a friend who did one (nothing bad happened) did it for spiritual reasons, and was amazed at the things that came out of his body :sick:, but thats more the reason i would doo it- not to lose the weight but for a spiritual reason
  • momto3hmn
    Options
    to the last person that posted. instead of looking online, you should really talk to your doc about these things, most things online are not always true to what you read!!!! happy weight loss to you!!
  • momto3hmn
    Options
    oops the lady that posted before the last one!!
  • alifelessevident
    Options
    oops the lady that posted before the last one!!
    :laugh: its all good
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    to the last person that posted. instead of looking online, you should really talk to your doc about these things, most things online are not always true to what you read!!!! happy weight loss to you!!

Actually, I got that info from, amoung other sources, Oprah :tongue: she was talking about fasting and Dr. Oz - gotta love that guy - was discussing fasts and their low rate of lasting success!

There are also ways to discern if information on the internet is legitimate or not (particulary published and peer reviewed medical studies).

Good luck to you if you have found fasting in the past to be successful and resulting in lasting weight loss!
    :flowerforyou:
  • momto3hmn
    Options
    Water fasting can be great for weight loss!!! and lasting weight loss as well, and even more for spirituality, and can be a very moving gaining process. Everyone works differently, so results will never be the same for any two people!!!

ENJOY FASTING FOR THOSE THAT WANT TO!!! I DO :flowerforyou: