Manners!

Options
coolsmartygirl
coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
Where are they these days? I work on the phones at my job. I answer questions for people and right after I say the first word I am hung up on. Or people talking about racism such as "if I was in that country I'd strangle those..." etc. Or guys calling me babe over the phone.

Seriously where has all the manners gone???

Replies

• zen_cln
    zen_cln Posts: 10
    Options
    I agree.. I work retail and lately have found myself not wanting to go into work because I've been on a streak of having very rude customers :/
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Generations change... it sucks.
  • melliebee
    melliebee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I hear you! It is so emotionally draining working in the service industry. I am working as a server in a breakfast place while I try to find a teaching job. It has gotten to the point where I am shocked when someone asks me how I am doing after I ask them. Every day I have people talking to me like I am an idiot, or not even looking at me in my eye like I am not worthy of human interaction. Ugh I pray I get a teaching job soon :(
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I hear you! It is so emotionally draining working in the service industry. I am working as a server in a breakfast place while I try to find a teaching job. It has gotten to the point where I am shocked when someone asks me how I am doing after I ask them. Every day I have people talking to me like I am an idiot, or not even looking at me in my eye like I am not worthy of human interaction. Ugh I pray I get a teaching job soon :(

I went to see a friend who was doing her student teaching a while back. You don't seriously believe that the kids are going to be better than your customers?! I couldn't do it. We never would have behaved the way those kids do. We'd have gotten our head slapped by the nearest adult!
  • coolsmartygirl
    Options
    I am only 22 years old and I feel younger kids like 13 and younger with horrible manners. I'm glad I was raised better but it's just sad that there will be a whole generation missing manners. I bet that's what my grandmother thinks about my brother and me sometimes though.

I have to say though my younger cousins need to learn some displince [sp.]. And I agree, I decided to not become a teacher my junior year in high school because I realized that students are products of their environments and many don't have great environments lately.
  • melliebee
    melliebee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I went to see a friend who was doing her student teaching a while back. You don't seriously believe that the kids are going to be better than your customers?! I couldn't do it. We never would have behaved the way those kids do. We'd have gotten our head slapped by the nearest adult!
    [/quote/]

Ya kids are learning from their parents, but the thing is, they can learn to act differently. I had a class that started out with zero respect. They would boo when my mentor teacher would say 'time for spelling'. All they needed was consistency from someone who wouldn't accept their behavior (Miss B can be a hard *kitten*) :)
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I also work customer service and I swear people have had their brains sucked out of their ears and any sense of decorum and good manners have been crushed under the heels of this hurry up world we live in. Forget Emily Post, I'm talking plan human decency!
  • coolsmartygirl
    Options
    I also work customer service and I swear people have had their brains sucked out of their ears and any sense of decorum and good manners have been crushed under the heels of this hurry up world we live in. Forget Emily Post, I'm talking plan human decency!

!!!!