Does coffee hinder weight loss?

Options
I was at the gym and a trainer told me that cortisol levels are elevated by coffee and could hinder weight loss. Can anyone verify this? I love my coffee. It almost looks like coffee would be a good thing since Wikipedia says it aids in fat metabolism.

Wikipedia says bodyCortisol's primary functions in the body are:

increasing blood sugar through gluconeogenesis
suppressing the immune system
aiding in fat, protein, and carbohydrate metabolism

Replies

• jmlitton33
    jmlitton33 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    no. black coffee by itself is actually a natural appetite suppressant. adding the sugar and milk and whipped topping and flavoring, that will hinder the weight loss.
  • Bramsey89
    Bramsey89 Posts: 26
    Options
    Eh, I have like 2 cups of coffee a day and I have found the pounds are falling off pretty easily.

Too easily actually.
  • JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have heard that caffeine speeds up metabolism which helps burn calories. Here's what I know FOR SURE... I'm a coffee addict and have lost 23 pounds in 90 days.
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym and a trainer told me that cortisol level are elevated by coffee and could hinder weight loss. Can anyone verify this? I love my coffee.

Wikipedia says bodyCortisol's primary functions in the body are:

increasing blood sugar through gluconeogenesis
    suppressing the immune system
    aiding in fat, protein, and carbohydrate metabolism

I would love to find out...but I can't give it up altogether!
  • Skolls081102
    Skolls081102 Posts: 184
    Options
    I drink one 16 oz coffee every morning...I started my weight loss journey on January 3rd and have lost 86 pounds....so....no, it doesn't. I have no scientific evidence to support this, just my own personal experience.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    My personal experience says that's BS.
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I drink 2 to 3 16 oz cups per day. I have been losing the 2 lbs a week I wanted to with no problems.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    no. black coffee by itself is actually a natural appetite suppressant. adding the sugar and milk and whipped topping and flavoring, that will hinder the weight loss.

I agree 100% with this. I think the only way that it could actually hinder weight loss is if the caffeine is causing you to not sleep at night, and studies DO show that if you don't get enough rest then you won't lose weight as easily. Also, per my conversation with Jeff Galloway (1972 Olympic Gold medalist and best-selling author) last week, there's absolutely nothing wrong with coffee. :drinker:
  • JeanneMarie60
    Options
    Oh what a relief! I'm definitely hooked on coffee and drink my fair share everyday.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I drink one 16 oz coffee every morning...I started my weight loss journey on January 3rd and have lost 86 pounds....so....no, it doesn't. I have no scientific evidence to support this, just my own personal experience.

That's awesome progress! Way to go!!!
  • LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't listen to a trainer for medical advice. Keep going with the coffee! It has amazing antioxidants and does aid in weight loss.
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    Yep, not true.
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have heard that caffeine speeds up metabolism which helps burn calories. Here's what I know FOR SURE... I'm a coffee addict and have lost 23 pounds in 90 days.

Thats awesome on your loss.

I would have to agree whats been said here. It's when you add the other stuff to it, is when you take in needles calories.
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Look, I can give up any food in the world, but coffee I can't live without!!! If that is true, I'm screwed!
  • Taxmin10
    Taxmin10 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    it has something to do with the caffeine affecting your rate of insulin release into the blood stream. which can cause peaks or troughs in how you metabolize sugars. this can be important if you are doing a diet with alot of carbs as it is important to metabolize those carbs effectively. In a low carb diet it is less relevant IF you stick to the diet and dont have alot of carbs shooting through your body. That being said, I am doing South Beach (phase 1, low carb) and still have my pot of coffee in the morning. It was sort of a deal breaker for me. I Love my coffee.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Like many issues when it comes to fitness- the answer is yes and no. lol Caffine is ultimately a stimulant so speeds up the body. For an individual who is already doing a lot of physical training or under a lot of emotional stress, where cortisol levels may already be elevated due to eithe emotional or physical stressors, then caffine can have a detrimental affect on weight loss or getting the resuts you want. Cortisol is a byproduct of the body's natural stress response- both positive and negative- and is realeased in the "fight or flight" response of the body. This process allows more carbohydrate and fat to be available in the bloodstream to either "fight" or "flee" as well as slow down other body systems to make more blood available to extremities for action- if you are doing neither then your body is in a pickle with what do in this stress state. Cortisol can be useful and essential for hard training, endurance exercise, etc. That being said, moderate intake of caffine in black coffee or teas can help give you a boost if your stress level are normal. Rule of thumb- if you are feeling stressed and strung out go for a run or do some physical exercise to release the stress or get your blood pumping. Too much caffine can depleat essential B vitamins needed for performance and peak results. Caffine/coffee should be viewed as a treat for those on weight loss or heavy training program. You don't have to cut it out, but use sparingly for optimal physical results.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Guy at the gym ≠ dietitian.

Careful. Anyone can call himself a personal trainer or nutritionist. They're not protected terms.

I also drink coffee regularly and am losing weight quite well. :) I say enjoy your java.
  • Higglyjiggly64
    Options
    Eh, I have like 2 cups of coffee a day and I have found the pounds are falling off pretty easily.

Too easily actually.

Same here, and I use creamer.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers are not nutritionist. Caffeine is a natural appetite suppressant as others have stated, it also increases heart rate because it's a stimulant. With the increase of heart rate this also means it speeds up metabolism. I have known quiet a few personal trainers, when it comes to nutrition, most of them just parrots of fitness magazines and the media.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    No, coffee absolutely does not hinder weight loss.