Amazing Growing Oatmeal Bowl

Options
Don't know how many Hungry Girl fans there are out there, but one of her recipes is for the amazing growing oatmeal bowl. She says to make it with at least TWICE the amount of liquid recommended, and cook it for twice as long, and let it sit for a while 'til it became nice and thick. This is her recipe from her newsletter:

I used a serving of Old Fashioned Quaker Oats (1/2 cup), 1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze (only 40 calories a cup!), and 1 cup water; then I cooked it on the stove for about 10 minutes with 2 Splenda packets, a little bit of cinnamon, and a dash of salt.

My question is...has anyone tried this? And I eat instant oatmeal...would it work the same way? If so I'll definitely try it. I'd do a packet with 1 1/3 cup water and cook it for 3 minutes in the micro...then I add lite maple syrup...:)

Replies

• beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I do that frequently, oatmeal absorbs liquid and expands over time, so I microwave mine in a bigger bowl for a longer time then go get it about 5 to 10 minutes after microwave goes off.
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i usually just about double the recommended amount of water and then cook it a little longer and like the other poster said..let it sit a few mins after its done. definitely more bang for your buck..just make sure you are counting it at the uncooked amount so it doesn't throw off your count.
  • JRRCLR
    JRRCLR Posts: 353
    Options
    I tried it...I put it in a bigger bowl and it still boiled over and I let it sit for a long time and...ish...I didn't like it...it didn't thicken up for me...
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I do this for my kids,
    I do quick oats on the stove top and put the recomended amount of water, once it's almost all absorbed i add half the amount again... and then do this 2 more times. This process does not take long at all! the consistancy is just so much nicer this way.
    we dont keep sugar in my house, so it's sweetend with stevia or fresh fruit oh and some fat free soy milk.