PLEASE, pulled a GROIN MUSCLE???

Options
I believe I pulled my adductor (groin) muscle a little over three weeks ago. The healing is so slow I'm not sure if it is healing. I was wondering if anyone has ever pulled this muscle and what you did to help it heal.

I can't go to a doctor because I have no insurance. I try every few days to walk really slow on the treadmill to see how its doing. I am still having a lot of pain.

Any advice please

Lori

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    if it is a pulled muscle the only thing that really helps is time. really not much you can do to hurry it along, just take it easy.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    RICE.

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

If you want it to heal you have to stop using it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Athletes get sidelined for months with a pulled groin muscle. My son pulled his, not too badly, thankfully, while playing soccer a few years ago. Definitely take it easy, don't try to work that area very much at all. If there's pain, stop immediately. Do some easy stretches of that muscle to help keep it loose. Most of all, be patient. If you overdo it, you're going to suffer a setback and it'll just take longer to heal.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Pulled muscles take longer than broken bones to heal sometimes. I would suggest taking it easy on that muscle and work others right now. You'll have to figure out whether that means a narrower or wider stance for you...for me it meant I needed to keep my stance about hip width for awhile. Swimming also helped, just don't do the breast stroke.
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Groins take a long time to heal unfortunately. I know when athletes go down with this, it's nothing to have them out of commission for 4-6 weeks.

Don't push it, that's for sure. I felt a pull down there a few weeks back but I think I caught it before anything serious happened, but I was unable to try jogging for nearly two weeks, even walking hurt a bit at times, but I was able to at least push through that.
  • TeeTee11
    TeeTee11 Posts: 61
    Options
    i pulled mine a few months ago....only time healed it. I know that stinks but hey...also be sure to stretch it once u get ready tow ork out again.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I found this:
    http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/groinstrain.htm
    I think you need to decide the grade and then review the self treatment section. I know it can hurt, I pulled my groin in the Army years ago and it hurt for a couple of weeks.
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Google "groin stretches" too. I used to have mighty weak groin muscles, but doing a simple groin stretch after EVERY work out has helped to strengethen them.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    Athletes get sidelined for months with a pulled groin muscle. My son pulled his, not too badly, thankfully, while playing soccer a few years ago. Definitely take it easy, don't try to work that area very much at all. If there's pain, stop immediately. Do some easy stretches of that muscle to help keep it loose. Most of all, be patient. If you overdo it, you're going to suffer a setback and it'll just take longer to heal.

I have been trying to walk slow. Do you think walking 15 minutes every other day at 2 miles an hours will damage it more?
  • GaveUp
    Options
    I found this:
    http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/groinstrain.htm
    I think you need to decide the grade and then review the self treatment section. I know it can hurt, I pulled my groin in the Army years ago and it hurt for a couple of weeks.

I guess it would be in between a grade 2 and 3. I can walk but very slow and with pain. I am in week 4 of healing.
  • Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    No insurance huh? You can blame the upper class republicans for that one

Rest and be happy!
  • GaveUp
    Options
    Google "groin stretches" too. I used to have mighty weak groin muscles, but doing a simple groin stretch after EVERY work out has helped to strengethen them.

I found some great stretches online.
  • mpkartist
    mpkartist Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I gave myself a groin pull right before xmas and the pain lasted well into Feb. I don't have any health ins. either and had to work (no time off) so just iced and rested at every opportunity. It's the most painful thing I've ever done to myself. I wouldn't try to exercise on it. Just thinking of you trying is making me wince! Baby yourself for awhile, it's going to be slow.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I have been trying to walk slow. Do you think walking 15 minutes every other day at 2 miles an hours will damage it more?

As long as it doesn't hurt, that should be fine. Anything that hurts with a muscle strain shouldn't be done. Here's a good standing groin stretch. Remember not to bounce, just a slow and gentle stretch.

* Stand with your legs wide apart.
    * Shift your weight to the left,
    * Allow your left knee to bend until it is over your left foot.
    * You will feel the stretch in your right groin.
    * Keep your feet on the ground facing forward.
    * Hold for 20-30 seconds.
    * Repeat the stretch on the opposite side.
    * Repeat the stretch three times on each side.
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    just remember, a pulled or strained muscle is more susceptible to being a torn muscle. Then you're talking about months of healing IF no surgery is required! When I tore my calf muscle I ended up in a cast for 6 weeks and then wearing a boot for another 8 weeks!! All because I didn't listen when I had strained it the week before!
  • GaveUp
    Options
    RICE.

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

If you want it to heal you have to stop using it.

Seems like all I do is rest it. I actually just started using compression. If feels better when I have that on. I can't just stop using this muscle....ugh!
  • GaveUp
    Options
    No insurance huh? You can blame the upper class republicans for that one

Rest and be happy!

HA HA HA RIGHT ON!!
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    search "Foam Roller" and "Rehabilitation", "Regeneration" and "Flexibility" exercises here :

http://books.google.com/books?id=T_tt1rdUxmQC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

or look for video clips of these same exercises at corePerformance.com
  • GaveUp
    Options
    I gave myself a groin pull right before xmas and the pain lasted well into Feb. I don't have any health ins. either and had to work (no time off) so just iced and rested at every opportunity. It's the most painful thing I've ever done to myself. I wouldn't try to exercise on it. Just thinking of you trying is making me wince! Baby yourself for awhile, it's going to be slow.

2 months wow!! Its good to know that maybe its just time is what I need. I hadn't ever done this or knew of anyone that had done it. I was starting to get scared. Thank you!
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Please don't work that muscle until it's healed. If you do more damage, it'll just take longer. You could try to sit in Epsom Salt baths and taking Advil when you wake up, and icing after your day at work... but wait a few weeks to let it heal before trying to exercise again. The most I'd ever consider doing, if I pulled mine, is a really gentle massage.