Quark?

Options
Adynata
Adynata Posts: 128 Member
Hey everyone. I really like quark cheese, but know very little about what to do with it. I've heard it can be extremely versatile, so I was wondering if anyone had any recipes that use it?

Replies

• sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I eat it as my bedtime snack. I mix frozen blueberries and 1/2 scoop vanilla protein into it.

I feel like you can use it instead of yogurt or cream cheese in pretty much anything.
  • cuerpito
    cuerpito Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    OMG! What can't you do with it! I'm Polish/German and grew up with quark.
    1. Slice it up and eat in on bread.
    2. Make pierogies (the original kind) with potatoes and quark,
    3. Make a salad: shred quark with a fork, add chopped radishes and spring onions, a little sour cream, salt and pepper and have it on bread. Love this!!!
    4. You can also make special Polish or German cheesecake with it.
    5. have it with crepes - mash with a fork, add some sugar/sweetner, berries - optional, a bit of yogurt or sour cream and use it as topping for crepes/large pancakes - that's probably my favorite!!!

I could go on and on. There is a Polish website I use with recipes and they have 902 recipes that use quark. Add German recipes to it and you'll never be able to cook everything :)

I frankly have the hardest time to find it in the States. I have to travel over an hour to a town with a Polish neighborhood to get it - sucks! But you can freeze it and use it when you need it!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Even though this is in the recipes area, I was still expecting a Star Trek question. I should just go ahead and kill myself...
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Which came first, the cheese or the elementary particle? :laugh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Even though this is in the recipes area, I was still expecting a Star Trek question. I should just go ahead and kill myself...

Me too. Don't feel bad. I have never even heard of Quark cheese.
  • Heather75
    Options

Me too. Don't feel bad. I have never even heard of Quark cheese.

The saddest thing about it is that I HAVE!
  • Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Haha. Quark is a lot like cottage cheese but with a very smooth texture. It's very high in protein and low in fat. I am definitely liking the sound of that pancake idea! I'd be interested to see how you could work it in to a cheese cake, though.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

:laugh: i needed to bump this thread as not to miss out on more geek humor
  • Heather75
    Options
    Hi!
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I hear your voice in my head now and will for the remainder of the evening.
  • cuerpito
    Options
    There are many different recipes for cheesecake. here's one you could try (I'm not good at baking cheesecake - it always collapses when I make it. Mom mom, grandma, or sister can use the same recipe and it will turn out great).

This recipe is for a high protein, low carb diet and you need to know that I never tried making it before. I just found it on a diet blog that I've been following:

11 eggs
    1 kg quark
    1 cup of sweetener (surgar for non-diet version)
    1 tablespoon of baking powder
    vanilla or orange extract
    you can also add raisins, nuts, or fruit - for more carbs, if you don't count carbs

Mix the egg yolks, quark, sweetener, extract, and baking powder in a bowl. Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff. Add the mixture to the egg whites and fold carefully.

Line the baking pan with baking paper (the waxed one for cookies). Bake the entire thing in 175 C (350 F) for 15 -25 minutes. Should the top get too dark, cover it with foil or paper. Then, lower the temperature to 125-150 C (250-300 F) and bake another 30 minutes to achieve a 55 minute bake altogether.

I will try this recipe next week. So please keep in mind that I've never made it before. But the comments on the blog are great for it. Sorry for the awkward translation :):):)
  • cuerpito
    Options
    One more thing that came to my mind: there is a difference between a German quark and a Polish quark. The German is much much smoother than the Polish. So, if you have the smooth one, just use it for the recipe. If yours is not too smooth - creates small curds when you break it down with a fork, then you need to process the cheese either through a food processor or a meat grinder to achieve the smooth texture. I see you live in UK and not sure what kind they have there.

Good luck with your cooking!!! Enjoy the quark!
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Quark the cheese is yummy (is very good in tomato sauce instead of ricotta, for example).

Quark the Ferengi, OTOH, is not quite so yummy (IMO) but could probably be just as useful, providing there is a liberal dose of oo-mox in the offing!

:bigsmile:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I also thought this was going to be a topic about the Ferengi or the particle. But instead I've learned there is a cheese called Quark that I'd like to try.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I use quark as a substitute for bechamel is lasagne etc. It makes a very good low fat cheese cake as well!
  • Nikipowpez
    Nikipowpez Posts: 60 Member
    Options
  • Nikipowpez
    Nikipowpez Posts: 60 Member
    Options

I was right there with you. Quark is one of my favorite characters. :laugh:
  • juicygooseface
    Options
    i mix quark with white chocolate options (40cals ish) and its just like a chocolate cheesecake-beautiful :) x
  • Izzys_mom
    Izzys_mom Posts: 64 Member
    Options

That is exactly who I thought of when I saw this question. I would like to see if I can find that here.
  • andreamichelle82
    andreamichelle82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

Haha, cute :laugh: