Should I count the calories from fruits and veggies?

Options
2»

Replies

• 69mustang
    69mustang Posts: 185
    Options
    Yes count them!! A med sized banana or a cup of grapes is about 100 calories. Calories can add up fast if you eat a lot of fruits.

WW built the "free" fruits and veggies into thier new plan so they were already in your daily target limit. What few know is they only want you to eat up to 3 "free" fruits a day, anything above that you are supposed to count ( according to 2 diff WW leaders at the meetings I used to attend)
  • thatalchemistgirl
    Options
    Fruit can reeeeally rack up your sugar count. My major sugar/carb sinning comes from fruit juices, which I'm not really prepared to give up, so have to compensate for. I love Innocent smoothies, which are only made with whole fruits, and nothing else.

To give you an idea of how quickly these calories and sugars can add up, here's a list of the ingredients used in a typical smoothie. You didn't list that you drink fruit juice, but considering the juices I have are made only with fruits, I think the example is relevant.

In a litre carton, there are 4 mashed bananas, 1/2 a pineapple, 1 1/2 apples, 1/2 an orange, a dash of coconut milk and lemon juice.

Now I don't think that sounds like a great deal, but all of those combined in to a litre of smoothie makes 692 calories, with 133g of carbs and 107g of sugar. My point is, whilst of course fruit contains nutrients that are good for you, the calorie and sugar count can be really surprising and blow you right off target.

That is a darn fine point dear.
  • Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    No worries, I was totally shocked by that too. I believe there also quite a few surprise high cal/fat/carb vegetables out there. Avocado is the first one to spring to mind.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Depends on the vegetables, but for fruit definitely. I could easily eat well over 600 calories worth of fruit in a given day if I didn't count it. Some vegetables I just quick add calories or for salads I don't count each individual vegetable in it and just put "salad, mixed greens", but that still is counting the calories for them in my book.