Do the TYPE of calories count?

sswift76
sswift76 Posts: 37 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
So, does it matter on what type of food you consume your calories? Like, veggies vs. ice cream? Or is it just that you consume your calories, and no more. ?????

Replies

• mariobadr
    mariobadr Posts: 58 Member
    It definitely counts. Ever heard the term "empty calories"? Basically you want to maximize nutritional value with the calories you consume. So Veggies will most definitely beat out ice cream, and ice cream will beat out beer.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    I am conflicted because I have lost almost 50 lbs. eating the same crap I always did and drinking beer. I guess these last 15 lbs. will let me know!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    It definitely counts. Ever heard the term "empty calories"? Basically you want to maximize nutritional value with the calories you consume. So Veggies will most definitely beat out ice cream, and ice cream will beat out beer.

Actually a little beer is okay for you. It's a myth that "beer gives you the beer belly" typically what it is is the foods we choose to eat once we have a few that causes the problems. Everything in moderation.

And to answer the OP, yea it 100% matters where the calories come from. Soda is "empty calories" for example. I try to think to eat only for survival and not just for fun. I try to avoid eating if there isn't a reason for it.. "eating with a purpose"
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    Definately. Probably not so much on the weightloss side as apparently its a scientific equation calories in/calories out. But if you want to have more energy, feel less hungry, banish cravings (a bit) and know that you are properly nourishing your body, its best to try and maximise the amount of quality food, fruit, veggies, lean proteins that you are eating within your daily budget. Allowing room for treats of course....ya gotta live!!
  • mariobadr
    mariobadr Posts: 58 Member

Actually a little beer is okay for you. It's a myth that "beer gives you the beer belly" typically what it is is the foods we choose to eat once we have a few that causes the problems. Everything in moderation.

Oh I would never turn down the 'occasional' beer :)
  • Juggernautpint
    Juggernautpint Posts: 70 Member
    While it is true one pound of fat is equal to 3,500 calories, the quality of calories you consume are equally important to your overall progress. If you are restricting your diet by 500 calories per day, over the course of 7 days you should lose one pound of fat right? (7 days x 500 calories per day deficit = 3,500 calories).

Logically the answer is yes. If you have a calorie deficit, then unless you have an underlying medical condition or your body metabolism has grown accustom to eating the same amount of calories each day (which is why you should zig-zag your daily calories), you will lose weight.

There are countless diet solutions out there, some better than others all with the same promise…to lose weight. However, I think it goes without saying that not all calories are equal.

Suffice to say, if you were to do nothing but drink pop for your daily calories, aside from having really bad teeth among other things, your body would end up using the proteins from your muscles to feed your vital organs which would result in muscle loss.

No problem right? You lost some muscle, but you also lost some fat! If you didn’t already know this, I’ll tell you now. Muscle burns calories. Less muscle means the fewer calories you can eat each day.

To get to the point, by avoiding empty calories, such as simple carbohydrates (sugar) or ones with little or no nutritional value high in saturated fats, you will have quality calories available to build and fuel your muscles through exercise.

What I wanted to share with everyone a really handy feature here on Myfitnesspal that allows you to customize where you get your calories from which is important depending on your fitness goals.

Why would you want to change your goals?

Well, the MFP default ratios for me are: 55% Carbs / 15% Protein and 30% Fat, however I prefer the ”Zone Diet” ratios 40-30-30 which give me a boost of muscle building protein . Why do I want more protein? Because my goal is to maintain if not build muscle while I lose weight and I am strength training at the gym.

Here are some common diet ratios you can consider:
    (Carbohydrate% / Protein% / Fat%)

Very Low Carb (or Ketogenic -Atkins type) = 10 / 45 / 45

Low Carb = 25 / 40 / 35

Low Fat = 60 / 25 / 15

The Zone Diet = 40 / 30 / 30 (My preference)

Moderate = 50 / 25 / 25

How do you change your ratios? Simple:

(1) Click the “My Home” Tab
    (2) Click the “Goals” Tab
    (3) “Change Goals” Button
    (4) “Custom” and “Continue”

You may not have thought about where your calories come from but depending on your fitness goals, you may want to change where you get your quality calories from.

Basic Rule of Thumb:

Carbohydrates for Energy

Protein for Building Blocks

Fat for Function

Fat is part of every cell membrane in the body. It helps transport nutrients and metabolites across cell membranes.
    Your body uses fat to make a variety of other building blocks needed for everything from hormones to immune function.
  • a_dawn
    a_dawn Posts: 47
    I lost 70 lbs. about 3 yrs. ago by counting calories. It didn't matter where the calories came from, I just made sure that I didn't eat above 1200 calories (I did it w/o exercise). I started exercising and kept it off as long as I was consistent w/ my exercise and not over eating. But then I got lazy and quit exercising and started eating anything and everything I want. As a consequence I gained back about 30 lbs. This time around, I am exercising and getting my calories the healthy way. If you eat "empty calories", then you will get hungry faster and not feels satisfied, but you can still lose weight. My advice tho is to get your calories through food that is healthy and will give you energy and a longer life.
  • sswift76
    sswift76 Posts: 37 Member

LOL! :wink:
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Here's a (sort of) funny story to answer your question. There's a sport that involves marathon mountain hiking - the players try to pack as light as possible to maximize speed, so naturally they want calorie dense food that's light to carry. One guy reasoned that canned frosting was the most calorie dense food he could find and tried to live only on that during the race.

I'm sure you can guess what happened to him - he collapsed less than half way into the race. Moral of the story - it's not just about calories, it's about minerals, vitamins, proteins, etc. These are the things that allow your muscles to contract and your nerves to transmit electric impulses and your brain to keep functioning. For example, a prolonged lack of carbohydrates will eventually cause holes to form in your brain.
  • wigglentwink
    wigglentwink Posts: 336 Member
    Here's a (sort of) funny story to answer your question. There's a sport that involves marathon mountain hiking - the players try to pack as light as possible to maximize speed, so naturally they want calorie dense food that's light to carry. One guy reasoned that canned frosting was the most calorie dense food he could find and tried to live only on that during the race.

I'm sure you can guess what happened to him - he collapsed less than half way into the race. Moral of the story - it's not just about calories, it's about minerals, vitamins, proteins, etc. These are the things that allow your muscles to contract and your nerves to transmit electric impulses and your brain to keep functioning. For example, a prolonged lack of carbohydrates will eventually cause holes to form in your brain.

I would sign up for that just to eat the frosting....or am I missing the point? :wink:
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    i would think that it would matter as far as health wise and nutritional value.
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member

I would sign up for that just to eat the frosting....or am I missing the point? :wink:

He missed a critical point. It takes years of training to survive on cans of frosting. How else do you think you get a body like mine? :laugh:
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member

He missed a critical point. It takes years of training to survive on cans of frosting. How else do you think you get a body like mine? :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • meldevoy
    meldevoy Posts: 5
    LOL! I guess that makes me an elite "potato chip" athlete!
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    While it is true one pound of fat is equal to 3,500 calories, the quality of calories you consume are equally important to your overall progress. If you are restricting your diet by 500 calories per day, over the course of 7 days you should lose one pound of fat right? (7 days x 500 calories per day deficit = 3,500 calories).

Logically the answer is yes. If you have a calorie deficit, then unless you have an underlying medical condition or your body metabolism has grown accustom to eating the same amount of calories each day (which is why you should zig-zag your daily calories), you will lose weight.

There are countless diet solutions out there, some better than others all with the same promise…to lose weight. However, I think it goes without saying that not all calories are equal.

Suffice to say, if you were to do nothing but drink pop for your daily calories, aside from having really bad teeth among other things, your body would end up using the proteins from your muscles to feed your vital organs which would result in muscle loss.

No problem right? You lost some muscle, but you also lost some fat! If you didn’t already know this, I’ll tell you now. Muscle burns calories. Less muscle means the fewer calories you can eat each day.

To get to the point, by avoiding empty calories, such as simple carbohydrates (sugar) or ones with little or no nutritional value high in saturated fats, you will have quality calories available to build and fuel your muscles through exercise.

What I wanted to share with everyone a really handy feature here on Myfitnesspal that allows you to customize where you get your calories from which is important depending on your fitness goals.

Why would you want to change your goals?

Well, the MFP default ratios for me are: 55% Carbs / 15% Protein and 30% Fat, however I prefer the ”Zone Diet” ratios 40-30-30 which give me a boost of muscle building protein . Why do I want more protein? Because my goal is to maintain if not build muscle while I lose weight and I am strength training at the gym.

Here are some common diet ratios you can consider:
    (Carbohydrate% / Protein% / Fat%)

Very Low Carb (or Ketogenic -Atkins type) = 10 / 45 / 45

Low Carb = 25 / 40 / 35

Low Fat = 60 / 25 / 15

The Zone Diet = 40 / 30 / 30 (My preference)

Moderate = 50 / 25 / 25

How do you change your ratios? Simple:

(1) Click the “My Home” Tab
    (2) Click the “Goals” Tab
    (3) “Change Goals” Button
    (4) “Custom” and “Continue”

You may not have thought about where your calories come from but depending on your fitness goals, you may want to change where you get your quality calories from.

Basic Rule of Thumb:

Carbohydrates for Energy

Protein for Building Blocks

Fat for Function

Fat is part of every cell membrane in the body. It helps transport nutrients and metabolites across cell membranes.
    Your body uses fat to make a variety of other building blocks needed for everything from hormones to immune function.

extremely helpful man .. you opened up a new world to me, sad but true. never took this stuff into account.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Not going to reiterate which most of what's been said, just a couple thoughts.

1. Alcohol itself does mess with your metabolism so be weary of how much you consume.
    2. Why are week sugars, sweets, etc bad? This can cause your insulin production to dramatically increase which isn't good because your body doesn't metabolize fat as well and nutrients don't get shuttled to your muscles as well either. THe trick is to not spike your insulin with carbs, focus on low glycemic carbs if possible.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Not going to reiterate which most of what's been said, just a couple thoughts.

1. Alcohol itself does mess with your metabolism so be weary of how much you consume.
    2. Why are week sugars, sweets, etc bad? This can cause your insulin production to dramatically increase which isn't good because your body doesn't metabolize fat as well and nutrients don't get shuttled to your muscles as well either. THe trick is to not spike your insulin with carbs, focus on low glycemic carbs if possible.

Exactly. I know of many studies that have studied lower carb, high-calorie diets vs restricted-calorie diets, and the low-carb won.

Your hormones play a huge part in body composition and weight accumulation and weight gain.

Eating 500 calories of ice cream vs eating 500 calories of meat and veggies; meat and veggies wins everytime for weight loss and health.

Can you lose weight by restricting calories? Yes you can. Is that necessarily the most efficient way? No.

I'd recommend reading 'Good Calories, Bad Calories' by Gary Taubes; or for maybe a more reader-friendly, less-scientific read, his newer book 'Why We Get Fat'.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    I am conflicted because I have lost almost 50 lbs. eating the same crap I always did and drinking beer. I guess these last 15 lbs. will let me know!

Wow - I assume you ate the same as you always did but stuck within you daily calories?

I would find that so hard - these days I much prefer to get the most I can from my calories LOL!
This discussion has been closed.