eating disorders and how to cope

Options
so for those of you who know me, you don't know this about me. I have an eating disorder. It is really difficult to talk about but I feel talking about it will help me deal with it. I have a binge eating disorder. I do so well and then something emotional happens and triggers a binge. I have small binge episodes where I eat a large amount of calories (at least 700) in one sitting. I am then left with feeling bad and upset for doing it. I know it will not help with my weight loss, and when an urge comes on I even tell myself I will not give in. Then all of a sudden that little voice in my head gets louder and louder until I find myself in the kitchen and the next thing I know I'm sitting in front of empty wrappers and food bowls. I know my kind of eating disorder needs therapist help. The thing is is I have a one year old daughter that has had alot of medical issues and has led us into thousands of dollars in debt with excellent insurance coverage. So I'm discouraged from getting help because we owe so much in health bills already (isnt that sad!) I'm not here for sympathy or for people to tell me I need to see a therapist because i know I do. I just want to cope with it right now by sharing my story and maybe getting other people to tell their story too. Please do not think less of me or wonder why I can't get myself under control because if I knew why I couldn't I wouldn't be writing this.

Replies

• AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    You are definitely not alone. I know that voice you speak of. I've done a whole lot of battling with it myself. I am a compulsive overeater. When I finally realized this I sought out Overeaters Anonymous. I've been attending a local OA meeting for 7 months now. A place where others, men and women of all ages, are just like you and me and so many other of us out there. It's been a world a help to go to these meetings and they are FREE!
    I hope it helped you to let this out. Keep doing it, it'll continue to help.

Friend me if you like.

Anne
  • liveforfit
    liveforfit Posts: 39
    Options
    Don't buy junk food. I know it's hard, but it's true. When you go to the grocery store, stay away from the cookies. Keep in mind that if you ever REALLY have a craving for a cookie, you can go over to a Subway and get a fresh one, or even get one from the grocery store, but hopefully just the thought of having to go through all that work to go through that will have you reaching for the carrots instead. Good luck. You should also check out tumblr fitness blogs, they help a lot. (Make a blog on tumblr, and then follow websites such as soon2befit.tumblr.com, th3skinny.tumblr.com, undressedskeleton.tumblr.com. All amazing weight loss blogs that will motivate and help you.
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    You are extremely brave for talking about the challenges you have. I'm sure that there are others going through a similar experience. I definitely have my binging moments, but the purge never comes for me.

I'm a therapy intern and would suggest you search for a community counseling center. Lots of times the services are on a sliding scale and can be pretty inexpensive. Also, group therapy can be extremely effective and it's also a smaller fee.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's medical issues. I actually am a therapist that works with families with children who are medically fragile or on the spectrum. It definitely takes a toll on the whole family. Keep thinking positive and find things that bring you joy and peace in your life.

My best to you and your family.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Is there a community health service that you can access? We have a couple of phone lines here in Aus that are free - I know that when I am down about my issues (not eating disorder related, but I am an emotional eater!) just picking up the phone and chatting to someone for 10 minutes or so really helps me. Sometimes the feelings are so overwhelming (financial stress, stress at work, my dad is also ill) that I need someone to help talk me through what I'm feeling. It may even help to talk to your daughter's health providers to see if there are any services that you can access through them. Lawyers do pro bono work... maybe there are some therapists who are the same?
  • kriots
    kriots Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    no shame, only help http://www.oa.org/new-to-oa/
  • katie_on_a_mission
    Options
    Although you would probably do better with a therapist, there are some things you can work on without one. Whenever you hear that voice telling you it's time to binge, get out a notebook and write down what you are feeling. Try to really think about the emotions you are experiencing. Note whether or not you are actually hungry. If you're comfortable, share the notes with your partner a few times a week. Hopefully you will start to figure out what is triggering these binges. That's step one. Good luck.
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Other people have really good suggestions. I just want to add that you are not alone and now that you've decided to change, you can! Be patient with yourself - it may take some time - but you can and will find other (non-hurtful) things to comfort you!