Calroies Burned While Sick?

Options
Okay so this is a weid question

right now im totally sick. cold/sore throat/glassy eyes/sleepy
haha anyways i wonderd does your body burn less calories while sick since im laying my *kitten* in bed sleeping all day long or does it burn more trying to fight whatever is wrong with me?

and working out while sick...good? bad? or the same effect on your body?

My husband seems to belive that working out while your sick will help your body fight the sickness better? any ideads on if this is true or not?

Replies

• TheHottestMama
    Options
    Okay so this is a weid question

right now im totally sick. cold/sore throat/glassy eyes/sleepy
    haha anyways i wonderd does your body burn less calories while sick since im laying my *kitten* in bed sleeping all day long or does it burn more trying to fight whatever is wrong with me?

and working out while sick...good? bad? or the same effect on your body?

My husband seems to belive that working out while your sick will help your body fight the sickness better? any ideads on if this is true or not?
  • cassangelidy
    Options
    For me personally I workout when I have a stuffy nose/head cold. It seems to help. However, not when I have a sore thoat....that is just me. :) I don't have any actual medical info to back anything up though. :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    take care of your body. If it tells you to lie there and veg, then do so. You wont be eating as many calories....

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • TheHottestMama
    Options
    haha i want to work out cause i want to lose weight!
    but my body is weak and tired
    im thinking i might just walk a mile insead of running 3miles
  • TheHottestMama
    Options
    haha i want to work out cause i want to lose weight!
    but my body is weak and tired
    im thinking i might just walk a mile insead of running 3miles
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    ...My husband seems to belive that working out while your sick will help your body fight the sickness better? any ideas on if this is true or not?

I don't know if it's true or not, but that's the way I always felt. But then again, maybe it's because I could never afford (literally) to be sick when I was a young single mom of two and had to push through.

Listen to what your body tells you. Don't push yourself too hard. I did that once and ended up practically deaf in both ears for two months! Learned my lesson.

My hubby is a big whinny baby when he's sick and says I have no empathy for anyone. The kids say that too. :ohwell:
  • kenkraft
    kenkraft Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to "live to fight another day". There's no sense stressing and tiring your body by working out when it needs all it's energy to fight the virus that's inside of you. Your body needs it's rest. You can work out when you're well.

I would guess (because I do not know) that you will burn some additional calories when you're sick. You also tend not to eat as much. Most people who get sick for 3-4 days drop some weight from their sickness. They also tend to put it right back on as they heal.

Take care of yourself. Your body is telling you to rest, so rest!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You will actually burning more calories when sick to produce an immune response. There's a slightly higher cell turnover. It's not a TON, but more than normal.

If you have a stuffy nose or a headache, you can still hit the gym (just be clean so no one else gets it! :wink: )

If you have a sore throat, chest congestion, coughing, sneezing, a fever, nausea, extreme fatigue etc., don't go. That's the sign of a more serious illness, and you won't be 'sweating it out'. You'll be dehydrating yourself, losing electrolytes, and putting extra strain on your body to both fight an infection and increase the daily 'repair work'. It will actually increase the length of your illness.