do you count work as exercise?

Options
I recently revised (after reading other people accounts) my activity level from active to lightly active and lost 160 cals of allowance a day but it got me thinking. I work in a shop for six hours five days a week. There are no chairs to sit on and most of the time i'm up and down ladders stacking shelves or walking the floor or cleaning so heres my question.... if you are in an active job nurse, postal worker etc do you log those hours as exercise or is that just a normal day?
Plus if it is just a normal day is overtime counted as thats outside the realm of norm?
Really interested in what you guys think --- not to mention my cal allowance is only 1200 a day now so if i can count some work it would help ha ha ha
Thanks Dani

Replies

• stacimusmax
    stacimusmax Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    As a nurse, I tend to think that if your body is used to walking, lifting, pushing, etc 3-5 days a week for 8-12 hours per day.....then you have to go above and beyond that to burn calories (at least the ones we want to burn). Afterall, I can work 5 12hr shifts a week and still be overweight and not losing. I must exercise and watch what I eat to accomplish that.

Go Above and Beyond!
  • KarenLouise1981
    Options
    The way I think of it is exercise is an intentional way of raising my heart rate or focussing on specific activities (sports, weights, etc). If you are on your feet for 6 hrs a day and up and down ladders your daily calorie allowance would reflect that. I am a full time student and move from bed to college, to the sofa on a daily basis! Therefore I am sedentary as I spend most of my time sitting. If I was on my feet most of the day I would change it to active (or whatever you think fits best) and log exercise seperately. If your at lightly active now wait a while and see how you feel - change to active if your overly hungry on a daily basis.
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job so have my activity level set as sedentary so any exercise I do outside of work I log as exercise.
    If I had a job that was more active like yours then I wouldn't log anything that I did at work as this is counted within your normal daily activity and would, again, only log exercise outside of work.
  • nicxox
    nicxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I too only log intentional excercise as my job is part of my daily routine, and was long before I started my weight loss journey. This includes walking to and from public transport stops to get to work as again this is part of my daily activity. The only time I log is if I walk to work as this doesn't happen very often.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I don't count work as it was my understanding that your work activity was taken into consideration (mine is sedantary) when you create your account and the calories are calculated accordingly.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    idont count any normal daily activity as exercise (cleaning, working, shopping, playing withthe kids ect..) becuase Im afraidit will add calories that dont really count because my body is used to burning them.I think by eating back cakories frrom daily activity you may noot lose weight and could actually gain it.
  • mamato3babes
    mamato3babes Posts: 125
    Options
    I only work Sundays but I clean lodges top to bottom... scrubbing tubs, toilets, ovens, doing laundry, making beds, sweeping, mopping, etc. It's alot of work... def gets my heart rate up and I sweat like crazy LOL so I do log that. But my everyday stuff I do I don't log :)