Changed up exercise routine and seeing results but...

Options
I am confused as to why. I want to lose these last 10 pounds. I have eliminated all processed foods from my diet and have been eating really healthy for the last two months. I was spending 3-4 days in the gym for about an hour to hour and a half and it was like my weight would not budge. My schedule at work changed and I don't have the time to spend in the gym. For the last two week, I have been just doing 30 minute jogs in the neighborhood 4-5 days and some squats/lunges/abs/arms at home. To my amazement I feel more toned and my clothes fit better. I don't get it. I feel like I am not doing nearly as strenuous of exercise now but I am seeing results. Why would this be?

Additional info:
I've given up looking at the scale number. I more or less want to look as if I have lost the last 10 lbs so basically I just want to maybe lose a size and tone. My husband thinks its my caloric intake versus calories burned. At the gym I was doing 45 minutes on a arc trainer and then some light weight lifting. I could have been burning too many versus my calories plus with the arc trainer I felt like after 20 minutes I was in a rhythm but with jogging in the neighborhood I feel like my intensity changes frequently. All in all what I am amazed about is that I am toning and feeling really good without as much effort as before when going to the gym.

Replies

• Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Our bodies get used to the same ol' same ol'. Changing your fitness routine every so often confuses your body and it starts losing/toning again. This is totally normal.
  • BarbelleBaby
    Options
    Would you say your workouts are more intense? Intensity makes a huge difference to how your body works and can be way better weight loss. Also, doing something different helps too. What did you used to do? And what do you do now?
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Maybe you've reached your body's ideal weight. Sure, I'd love to lose another 10 lbs (what I weighed in high school), but I'm not 18 anymore (I'm 36) and I've also had 4 kids. Just something to consider.
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    because weight at a "NUMBER" doesn't matter. Its about having a lean/toned body with a healthy diet. Maybe the weight you are trying to get to is just not right for you?
  • cosmoholic
    cosmoholic Posts: 23
    Options
    Are you eating your workout calories? If you are working out intently your body may NEED the additional food - it's important to keep your metabolism fueled.

Also have you been on the program for a while? If so it might be a good idea to re-evaluate that you are measuring your portions properly. I find that over time my portion sizes tend to creep up - in the first few weeks I'm always really good with measuring out portions so that I know tracking 1 cup = eating 1 cup of food. Over time I'll get comfortable, start to 'guestimate' and that 1 cup I tracked might be 1.5 cups or more... Just an idea. :)
  • staceyschley
    Options
    I've given up looking at the scale number. I more or less want to look as if I have lost the last 10 lbs so basically I just want to maybe lose a size and tone. My husband thinks its my caloric intake versus calories burned. At the gym I was doing 45 minutes on a arc trainer and then some light weight lifting. I could have been burning too many versus my calories plus with the arc trainer I felt like after 20 minutes I was in a rhythm but with jogging in the neighborhood I feel like my intensity changes frequently. All in all what I am amazed about is that I am toning and feeling really good without as much effort as before when going to the gym.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    You said you were at the gym for hour or more, but you didn't sat doing what, maybe by changing to jogging, which can be pretty intense, you have increased your workout and hence the weight loss, not because you are wokring out less time, doesn't mean you shouldn't lose, especially if you are doing a harder routine, and adding the weights is key, that's probably what your body needed, the weights, to help tone up the fat, and give you a leaner feel.

Congrats on the sucess, keep it up.
  • lmf0003
    lmf0003 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yeah, it's definitely important to keep workouts varied and with intervals of intensity. If the body gets too used to something, whether it's during a single workout or over a period of time, that particular workout will quit being effective. That's why I switch what I do every day, and if I do repeat something, I tweak it (example, running: mix a moderate pace with an all out pace until you can't go anymore. Go back to moderate for a minute, then back to all out). Doing free weight muscle strengthening moves is vital for getting that toning that you want, since it relies more on the muscles than a machine does. And then that muscle burns extra calories, so it's a win win situation! Good luck with that final 10 lbs!
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    YAY!! Don't question a good thing. :wink: Do what works for you. :flowerforyou: