Carbs vs Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy. Bad carbs are. Bad carbs are sugars and white breads and pastas. These are bad because they they are "empty calories" providing little or no nutrients and will cause an insulin spike when eaten that over time can lead to insulin resistance or diabetes. Avoid them as much as possible.

But there are good carbs, which are carbs high in fiber and/or protein (whole grains, beans, fruits, etc.). These can be an affective tool in weight loss because they are so filling and contain vital nutrients. And they don't cause the same insulin spike because they are slower to digest which can make you feel full longer.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/carbohydrates-full-story/

Bcatts even you should know by now, that the type of carb intake doesn't matter. Cmon. We usually disagree on saturated fat intake, but carbs?! Really!?
  • TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I lost alot of weight low carbing, but now I'm not losing anything. I only stopped low carbing as I'm a fussy eater, and it really limited me
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I lost alot of weight low carbing, but now I'm not losing anything. I only stopped low carbing as I'm a fussy eater, and it really limited me

There isn't any metabolic advantage to doing low-carb diets. What you lost from eating low-carbs was mostly water and glycogen. Fat loss comes from just eating a deficit.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Read the 80/10/10 book by Dr Robert Graham or check it out on line. This may help
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If she's getting over 200 grams of carbs, she's probably eating 2000+ cals a day........and contrary to popular fad diet beliefs, this IS what helps with weight loss. Very low calorie diets....don't work for the long term. I'm on the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group here on MFP and am also eating over 200 grams of carbs a day.......and loving that I don't have to starve!
  • TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Water is only really lost in the initial stage. It worked for me, I lost alot of weight, and kept it off. I didn't put any back on when I came off the diet. I'm just sad that my limited range of foods that I like restricted me

There isn't any metabolic advantage to doing low-carb diets. What you lost from eating low-carbs was mostly water and glycogen. Fat loss comes from just eating a deficit.
  • cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I went on Thrive Weightloss Diet once and it's not concidered low carb, but you eat veggies for carbs. No fruit and only a certain kind of bread that tastes like cardboard and has tons of fiber in it.

I love 15 pounds on it, but it was not something I could follow the rest of my life. By the time my system realized I was eating real food again, it's like my metabolism stopped and I packed on more weight then I had lost. Never again. If I can't do it in a way that doesn't make me miserable when I eat at someone's house or in a restaurant, I know it's not a diet I need to be on because I won't be able to stick with it and it'll just mess up my matabolism.

I want a way of life, not a diet.