Fat Free I can't believe its not butter...

alecta337
alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
edited September 28 in Food and Nutrition
...sucks!!!

It doesn't melt properly on toast and if you try to cook with it, it burns and takes horrible.

This morning I tried to make hash browns with it, and they're all gross and taste like burnt stuff -- i didn't burn the hashbrowns

I have been using Move Over Butter, which is way better. It has a few more calories, but its still way better than the normal stuff and it tastes amazing and its great for cooking.

Just though i'd share this with yall

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    All of the butter substitutes taste awful to me. I can't choke any of them down. i just use a little of the real stuff.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Real butter from real cows only goes into this real body!
  • never tried... i use country crock light but very little
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    The butter substitutes are more for flavor rather than cooking with. The key to cooking with butter is that you need the fat in it. If you're making something that usually needs fat (oil or butter) to cook, the substitute won't work. I use the butter substitutes for flavoring my vegetables after they're cooked, etc. You can't use it for frying unfortunately.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Try out Earth Balance Light. It has flax seed oil in it which helps with your cholesterol levels and its also
    100% dairy free which is great because its good to avoid dairy since it naturally contains growth hormones
    as well as caesin, a known carcinogen. Earth Balance Light tastes great too, and melts just like real butter!
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    It is much healthier to use a tsp of real butter which only has 30 calories. To me it is worth the extra 30 calories for wonderful flavor that is actually good for you. You can burn 30 calories walking through the produce section of the grocery store, or just the physical act of cooking will burn that 30 :)
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    I know it's not fat free, but it's healthy fat....so you might want to try using olive oil instead...just a tiny bit. This is what I do because I don't want the hormones and nasty stuff that comes out of cow-puss butter, but don't like fake alternatives either. Olive oil is natural, full of good fats and not the bad ones that are in butter, nothing artificial, and it works wonders on most things you use butter for.
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Real butter from real cows only goes into this real body!

Great advise! Besides, once you get used to eating your veggies without poison (IBNB spray) on them OR butter, you don't really miss it.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    I use the I can't believe it's not butter for my air popped popcorn so the flavoring sticks to it and the same reason for some veggies. I cook with flavored and regular grapeseed and olive oils. I have Cholesterol issues so I have been staying away from butter :(
This discussion has been closed.