Weight Watchers - Yes or No ?

Options
I met this gal in my gym who has lost crazy weight with WW and I am really interested in knowing more about WW. Wondering how is it different from calorie counting ( carbs, proteins and fat) Keeping food log .. and work outs.. coz I am already doing those !

I was been tossing with this idea of joining WW....I have lost around 45ish lbs so far but the scale is not moving any further. May be some hormonal problems that I suspect... May Be !

Nevertheless, I am keen on knowing more from the people who have done WW and found it good or bad !

Luv n Hugs...
Sophie

Replies

• tammylfinch
    Options
    I did WW for a while and lost about 25 pounds. It's easy to do but it's the same as you are doing now, counting calories, keeping track of food, exercise, etc. It was a good program. I like MFP because it's free and basically does the same thing.
    Good luck to you!
  • Tcnorman
    Tcnorman Posts: 16
    Options
    WW is essentially a simplified version of MFP (so yes it is based on calories in calories out)

I did WW from Jan 1 - Jun 1 this year and lost 60 lbs. It is a good diet program. It simplifies calorie counting and takes into consideration where calories are coming from (fat, protein, carbs, fiber). They usually offer a three month starter package for a deal. I would give it a try if you are struggling with just counting calories on MFP.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions as the diet is still pretty fresh in my head.

Tom
  • simply_healthy
    simply_healthy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    WW is essentially a simplified version of MFP (so yes it is based on calories in calories out)

I did WW from Jan 1 - Jun 1 this year and lost 60 lbs. It is a good diet program. It simplifies calorie counting and takes into consideration where calories are coming from (fat, protein, carbs, fiber). They usually offer a three month starter package for a deal. I would give it a try if you are struggling with just counting calories on MFP.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions as the diet is still pretty fresh in my head.

Tom

I have noticed this crazy acne breakouts, severe hair loss, weight plateau and facial hair off late. I am suspecting some hormonal imbalances (high testosterone, pcod, insulin resistance ). My tests are due in next few weeks.

Wondering if WW targets weight loss for all... I think high carb diets wont help me at all !
  • suzumichan
    suzumichan Posts: 127
    Options
    Its pretty much is MFP. I did it for 17 week's did everything that I was suppose to. I even Worked out 6 out of 7 day's didn't eat out a lot as I used to drank tons of water and didn't lose a pound. I counted my points and I always matched the points. I didnt lie or anything else on it. Sometimes WW isn't for everyone. My ex-friend claim's she's lost 60+ lbs but it doesnt show. (She 5"5 and when she started ww she was 190 she still looks like she did when she was 190 is why I said claims)
  • 69mustang
    69mustang Posts: 185
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds doing the WW Flex program and really liked it for a while but hated paying the weekly fee's. WW taught me a lot about healthy eating and it got me eating breakfast. It got annoying carrying the points calculator around trying to figure out points for things before I bought/ate them and I kinda got bored with it so i stopped doing it. I did try the new plan they have now where fruits and veggies are "free" ( they aren't really they are calculated into your daily point allowance) but I didn't care for it, my weight was up and down constantly and I followed the plan. I know some people that really like it though. I prefer just counting my calories and trying to eat a balanced diet and logging in here...and it's free.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I briefly looked into WW but it seemed more complicated than calorie counting. Why should I convert calories to points? I may as well just count calories to begin with. I would first give MFP a fair shake since it is free. If it doesn't work for you, then try WW.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Last time I lost 30 pounds, I followed the previous weight watchers plan, using a friend's materials. I didn't pay for them. Logged food with paper (gasp!) and kept a paper graph of my progress. (old school!) It was a healthy way to eat, and supposed to emphasize a good balance of nutrients. The process of group support (actual people in a room!) would be the key difference. So, maybe it would be worth it to you. I'm here, because I didn't work to maintain that loss.
  • nuviag
    nuviag Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My cousin was doing ww and i was doing mfp, we both were losign the 1-2 lbs a week. She has finally decided to stop paying weight watchers and join mfp since we were eating almost the same food intake but this is free.
  • liberty741
    liberty741 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    40+ pounds already, that is AMAZING! Whatever you're doing is def working! I did weight watchers in college before they had points plus and I lost alot of weight slowly. It worked for me but it no longer works for me because I don't like keeping track of points. WHen I went off of the program, I gained weight back because I had no idea what 1000 calories meant.

Now, my mother and cousin have lost alot of weight on WW. I guess you just have to figure out what works for you!
  • Shanell802
    Shanell802 Posts: 37
    Options
    I have had huge success with WW. It's a wonderful program! I lost most of my weight from that program...I've only lost 5 lbs on MFP, but I just started. I actually did both for about two weeks to make sure that I really wanted to switch to MFP. I tracked all of my food on both and it was almost exactly the same. WW doesn't count calories anymore, but it still equals about the same as this does in counting calories. I switched because this is free, but WW is a GREAT plan. I would recommend WW to everyone. I just did WW online, but I went to the meetings last year. Both were very helpful...it's just your preference.
  • Tcnorman
    Tcnorman Posts: 16
    Options
    If it is something hormonal, I'm not sure WW has anything different to offer that MFP doesn't already do. WW will encourage fruit/vegetable intake as well as physical activity (but you can do that here as well - just requires a little more motivation).

I've found that I breakout when eating more greasy, fatty, processed foods (pizzas, chips, cookies etc.). I would try cutting those out if you haven't already.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I would stick with this to be honest.

It depends what your local WW is like. Apparently the one by us is crap, and people just pay money to go to a hall and get weighed. Apparently the teacher lady doesnt really care too much, and just chats with people, and there is no structure to the class, other than go and get weighed, and then go sit down and chat to your neighbour.

I have heard good reviews from other people though about other classes?
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    still doing ww and i think its a great program. Especially if you have the right group! The downside is you have to pay for it. Although its not expensive. 2 ladies i work with have lost over 50 pounds on WW and are both lifetime members.

Try it and see if you like it. Doesnt hurt.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    NO! Negative! Negatory! Absolutely NOT.

Well, that is, if you want to be HEALTHY and maintain a healthy lifestyle for the rest of your life- Weight Watchers is not the answer. Eating right and exercising IS. Best of luck to you. :o)
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I did WW for a while and lost about 25 pounds. It's easy to do but it's the same as you are doing now, counting calories, keeping track of food, exercise, etc. It was a good program. I like MFP because it's free and basically does the same thing.
    Good luck to you!
    I totally agree and I'll add - the old WW used to track calorie counting and monitored carbs, fat grams, sugar, etc. The new WW has reduced everything to a formula and the WW company puts POINTS on everything. When they over simplified things to POINTS they sort of made me addicted to the POINT mentality, which for me, took away from the real learning experience of figuring out how to eat real food. At one point I was only buying frozen meals and snacks that were around a 2 or 3 POINTS value and even thought I made the effort, I couldn't maintain my losses when I had one. I find MFP to be much easier to self monitor and I am making more progress on this site. The fact that MFP is FREE is a great bonus because I have 3 people in my house who are trying to lose weight. We have different goals and needs so we each have our own sign-on.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    It didn't work for me. I tried it for 6 months or so. I lost very little weight in that time period. For me, it is easier to count my calories than figure out the points for everything. It works for a lot of people though - I just wasn't one of them.
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    NO! Negative! Negatory! Absolutely NOT.

Well, that is, if you want to be HEALTHY and maintain a healthy lifestyle for the rest of your life- Weight Watchers is not the answer. Eating right and exercising IS. Best of luck to you. :o)

Seriously? There is nothing THAT bad about Weight Watchers. The last few versions of their program have been relatively healthy - focusing on raising protein and fibre, lowering fat and carbs. They encourage you to earn activity points (ie, exercise), choose real foods, and drink water. It's seriously NO different than MFP, except in lingo.

Of course, that's the downside to WW as well -- it's no different than free alternatives like MFP. There's no magic formula that will suddenly allow you to lose more weight. So you might as well save your money, unless you specifically feel you need that in-person support.

I lost most of my weight with Weight Watchers, and it helped me see what foods were good for me to eat and what foods weren't, I learned that I needed to get those activity points, but also that I needed to eat them back or I didn't feel so hot, I learned lots of stuff about eating right and exercising, and when I'd learned all I could, I made the decision to stop paying the fees and just seek out support online.
  • daisabelle
    daisabelle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have recently started WW. I stayed the same weight for weeks when I did MFP on my own, and lost 3lb in my first weigh in. For me personally I find having a controlled weigh in not only helps me stay on track, but it also stops me from obsessing about weighing myself on the scale at home. I think it is all based on trial and error though, try it and if you feel it isn't for you you can just stick with MFP. I however do both :)
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Six years ago I lost 40 pounds on WW and kept it off for a year and a half. We moved cross country and I could no longer get to meetings reliably...now I need to lose the same damn 40 pounds, here is my bare bones comparison of the two:

The WW plan and the MFP plan are pretty similar in essence; you get a daily allotment of food (be it in point or calorie form) and you make the choices about how you want to use it.

WW has a separate weekly pool of points that can be used weekly, with MFP you can adjust your daily calorie intake....pretty similar really but MFP requires you to do a little bit more thinking about your goals and how you plan to get there than WW does.

Both have terrific online communities and support, but unlike MFP that gives you everything free you have to pay additional fees to access WW food and exercise databases (although the message boards are free).

Both plans give largely the same general advice about exercise and general health and fitness action items.

WW offers a weekly in person meeting or online only plans (both require payment), while MFP (free) lacks the eye to eye aspect. The weekly meetings are great if you find a group that fits you and you continue to go to the meetings.

WW weekly meetings provide strangers that will weigh you weekly on their scales...there is something about knowing a stranger will see how well you've done (or not) over the last week that really helps some people. MFP weigh in results (as with those on WW online) are on the honor system.

To succeed with both plans you must track your food and exercise, simply being enrolled or paying weekly will not do the work for you.

I think it is less about what WW's specific plan of the moment is and more about the big picture, both plans work for the same reasons. WW is certainly more structured and they've done a lot of the work already for you so all you have to do is follow along. MFP has a good amount of following along but there are some choices you must be more hands on in making to set up your plan before you can simply follow along.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Any program that advises chugging chemical filled diet soda, and highly processed "diet foods" instead of wholesome "real" foods to limit calories is useless. Now, of course this is just my opinion so take it or leave it. Since when is it ok to starve yourself for a couple of days just so you can save up your points and binge the rest of the week................ yeah thats a pretty good idea.
    Not to mention, like many have mentioned, you have no comprehension as to nutritional value when your simply counting points. Thus, if you ever intend to "get off" the program, chances are pretty good that your going to gain weight!

I am not a doctor, but I personally am not overweight because of a healthy wholesome diet and exercise and that is exactly what I would recommend to others.