Trying to understand Calorie Deficit

Options
Good Morning MFP Family

I know we probably get a lot of post about this but I am really trying to understand this calorie deficit. I have a calorie intake of about 1200 and I work out 5 days a week and burn about 500-600 calories. According to MFP my calorie deficit is 910...what does that mean??? Should I be burning that many calories or only eating 900 calories to lose weight. Can someone please explain this to me. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That just means based on your goals you will have a 910 caloric deficit in comparison to what you would normally eat to maintain your current weight.

No need to eat or burn anything. Hope that helps.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    The calories that MFP suggests already has a deficit built into it, when you exercise you increase that deficit by 500-600 a day. But if you have too much of a deficit your body will not be getting the nutrition and energy it needs and its not healthy
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    You burn calories just to stay alive - walking around, breathing, etc so MFP gives you a calorie amount that is less than what it takes for you just be alive (your deficit). Then even if you don't exercise you're still going to lose weight. If you 'earn' 500 calories from exercise you should generally eat those too so that you don't run at too much of a deficit because that's not healthy and you won't lose weight. Lots of people 'eat back' about half of their earned exercise calories but I usually eat most of mine cuz that's usually my main motivation to exercise - so I can eat more! :O)
  • Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    bump
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    If you go under Tools, there is a Basal Metabolic Rate calculator (BMR) that will tell you approx how many calories it takes to keep you ticking. So if your BMR is 1800 and you eat 1200 calories a day, you have a 600 calorie deficit built in already. Make sense?
  • choughton01
    choughton01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    That just means based on your goals you will have a 910 caloric deficit in comparison to what you would normally eat to maintain your current weight.

No need to eat or burn anything. Hope that helps.

I still don't understand what that means. I too struggle with this deficit thing.
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    Your calorie deficit is the difference between calories burned and calories consumed. You need that deficit to lose weight. People on here often mistaken calories burned for what you burn through exercise. Your body is constantly burning calories, even when you're sleeping. You don't want to be consuming any less than 1200 calories. You want to make sure you are feeding your body enough of the nutrients it needs.

I saw an article the other day that said women generally need to be consuming between 1500 and 1800 calories a day to be healthy.
  • MsWright28
    MsWright28 Posts: 43
    Options
    Omgoodness thank you guys so much for clearing it up...I'm on the right track!