Looking for advice on an e-reader. Not sure where to post?

Options
BeckyO
BeckyO Posts: 14
So I've decided that I would like an e-reader but don't know which is the best kind? Anyone have any ideas or recommendations? Thanks :smile:

Replies

• Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Nook color. Love mine!!!
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Not sure I'll be able to give you a great answer... when I picked mine out I only had 2 choices, the kindle and the sony e-reader. I picked the kindle. I still have my kindle 1 so I don't know much about the newer ones but I LOVE my kindle.
  • ktshealth
    ktshealth Posts: 21
    Options
    I have the Look Book. Alot cheaper than the others and it's great. I love it.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i have a kindel and i love it!
  • avonchik
    avonchik Posts: 106
    Options
    I love my Kindle!!!:smile:
  • jersey0725
    jersey0725 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have a kindle too, and I love it!
  • texasrebel83
    texasrebel83 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have a regular Nook and like it. Sometimes I wish I had gone with the Kindle because I think there are more free books out there, but my deciding factor was that my library's ebooks are only supported by the Nook so thats what I went with.
  • AmyBMelt13
    AmyBMelt13 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have a kindle and love it. I tried out the nook but couldn't get used to using the sliding my finger to change screen. If you're used to that you might like it. You can always give them a try and return it for a full refund if you don't like it (Barnes & Noble). I had the nook for 10 days and they took it back, no questions asked. I got a kindle and they said I had 30 days to return it (from Best Buy) if i didnt' like it. If you buy any books you will still be able to access them from the websites you purchased them from. I would suggest taking them for a test run before you commit.
  • bacarter18
    bacarter18 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i got a Nook for a graduation present... love it! although if i would have bought one myself... i would have gone with the Kindle... better free books, PLUS i'm a huge fan of amazon.com :)
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Kindle!
  • JennMuc
    JennMuc Posts: 70
    Options
    Depends really on what you want it for....reading, I know...but here's the breakdown (I should say I own a Nook but I did a lot of research before deciding on it...and I'm not anti kindle). The nook (original) and kindle are very comparable (and the two largest competitors) as far as how they work and battery life. Kindle (amazon) seems to have a better selection of free books, although nook (barnes and noble) has thousands of free books as well. The kindle only supports it's own books, while nook allows you to borrow from the library or purchase from places other than BN (this was the big selling factor for me). Nook also supports book sharing (on most popular books but not all) so if you have friends (or make nook friends) you can "lend" out a digital copy (very cool!) As far as the nook color, it's a totally different device and not really comparable. The nook color is a tablet, basically, which has an e-reader app. It is color screen (hence the "color" title) which is nice but not as easy to read outside (doesn't use the same eink technology as the nook and kindle). Hope this helps a little :)
  • JennMuc
    Options
    Also, you'll find most kindle owners HATE nook, and most nook owners HATE kindle...so just compare them yourselves online, consumer reports etc...and even "test drive" one like someone else suggested. You'll have to decide for yourself ;)
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    The kindle only supports it's own books, while nook allows you to borrow from the library or purchase from places other than BN (this was the big selling factor for me). Nook also supports book sharing (on most popular books but not all) so if you have friends (or make nook friends) you can "lend" out a digital copy (very cool!)

Kindle will also let you lend out books, to other kindle users... although it's a newer feature so not all books are available for lending yet. They haven't got the library lending up yet but last I heard they are working on it for later this year (very excited about that!)
  • my3doxiesandme
    Options
    I have a kindle and love it!!
  • JennMuc
    Options

Kindle will also let you lend out books, to other kindle users... although it's a newer feature so not all books are available for lending yet. They haven't got the library lending up yet but last I heard they are working on it for later this year (very excited about that!)

cool, I didn't know that :) I love my nook but my biggest deciding factor was being able to borrow/lend/purchase from various places, and the library.