So Angry with my Personal Trainer.

Options
I went to the gym today to take a class that was schedule for 6:35pm. The class before it was running late and by 7:00 the class still hadn't started. So, the trainer I've been working with for the last nine months, two sessions a week, walked by while I was waiting and I told him that I was unhappy about the delay and it was unacceptable that a class would be 25 minutes late in starting.

He replied that if I wasn't happy I could leave and not spoil it for everyone else. That the 45 people in the previous class were happy with their experience and I was just spreading negativity and trying to find something wrong with the club.

Have you ever been so angry that you start crying....that's how I felt. I just walked out. I'm beyond angry. I just couldn't stand there and tell him how angry I was while crying. It's not that I'm weak or over-emotional...I'm just MAD and can't find a way to express it. I sent him an e-mail tonight telling him that I thought his behavior was unprofessional and disrespectful and that I'll go to the owners if he ever talks to me like that again....but now I'm wondering if that was the right thing to do. And, I have a session with him first thing in the morning and I can't seem to get past this MAD feeling.

What should I do?

Replies

• lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym today to take a class that was schedule for 6:35pm. The class before it was running late and by 7:00 the class still hadn't started. So, the trainer I've been working with for the last nine months, two sessions a week, walked by while I was waiting and I told him that I was unhappy about the delay and it was unacceptable that a class would be 25 minutes late in starting.

He replied that if I wasn't happy I could leave and not spoil it for everyone else. That the 45 people in the previous class were happy with their experience and I was just spreading negativity and trying to find something wrong with the club.

Have you ever been so angry that you start crying....that's how I felt. I just walked out. I'm beyond angry. I just couldn't stand there and tell him how angry I was while crying. It's not that I'm weak or over-emotional...I'm just MAD and can't find a way to express it. I sent him an e-mail tonight telling him that I thought his behavior was unprofessional and disrespectful and that I'll go to the owners if he ever talks to me like that again....but now I'm wondering if that was the right thing to do. And, I have a session with him first thing in the morning and I can't seem to get past this MAD feeling.

What should I do?
  • babs200
    Options
    Since you have been working out with him for 9 months, I would think that you would have built up a repore with him. So since you have the session with him in the morning, maybe you can talk it out with him, Ask him why he would say something like that, and how hurt you were.

If he has any proffessionalism, he should explain where he is coming from. Remember that YOU PAY HIM, for your sessions. YOU PAY to work out there. If you are unhappy, it is well within your rights to take your business elsewhere. He is human, but you are paying his salary. Maybe he was just having a really, really bad day.
  • WFTomba
    Options
    I don't see how he could have disagreed with you that a class shouldn't start 25 minutes late. I mean, it SHOULDN'T. Do you think maybe you may have accidentally given him the impression that you were blaming him or attacking him?
  • lessertess
    Options
    Actually, I prefaced what I said with I would like him to pass the complaint along to management. When he first said it, I argued with him and told him, I'm a customer and I have a complaint, and that management needed to consider building in some cushion time between classes so that this didn't happen. (It's not the first time)

He just kept repeating that I needed to leave or stop complaining.. Even when I tried to back out of the conversation he kept attacking me.

I've been having some other problems with him lately being late or unfocused during our sessions. I've never said anything because it hasn't been a major issue just a minor irritant. As you say, I'm paying a lot for these sessions and even a few minutes, is in my opinion, costing me money. It came to a head Saturday after he asked me to come in at 10 for an assessment because he kept forgetting to do one. I came in and waited for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes I went to him and and said that he was obviously busy and that I would reschedule. He made some comment that I could wait five more minutes and wasn't getting out of my assessment. At which time I told him, he had scheduled us from 10am to 10:10 am and as it was already 10:20 I was going to go swimming before the pool opened for family swim. Since then, our sessions have started on time and he's been more focused.

You're right, I pay for thes sessions, and I pay for the membership at the gym and I have a right to expect them to start on time. I don't complain all the time but even if I did, I'm the customer and that comment was beyond rude. I also find it surprising that someone who is going to want me to sign up for more sessions in a few weeks would treat a customer in that manner. So, you may be right and he's having a bad day. He's been training for a show and isn't eating much....still I'm angry and I'm also hurt. It's hard to take that kind of attack from someone you've worked with for 9 months.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I would've fired him long before this! He needs to assess you before he works with you for liability reasons. What has he done with you? Hopefully more than just a Par-Q.

If he's training for a show, his body fat is going to be so low that it will actually impede brain function. To say he isn't eating much is the understatement of the year lol...he's probably eating less than most of us here and doing ungodly amounts of cardio without any carbs. But I think he needs to either practice some self control or not take on a client while he's close to a show.
  • lessertess
    Options
    We did an assessment when I first started working with him and are supposed to do follow up every month He just keeps forgetting lately. I've been getting good results but I'm seriously beginnning to question rather or not it's worth the money. I originally wanted a trainer because I needed the accountability and because I don't really enjoy strength training and I knew this was one way to ensure I would do it. And, I have to admit, up til now it's been pretty successful.

Not sure it's necessary anymore, so you're right, it's time to let him go. I think I can do ok on my own now.

I'm going to let go of the anger. Now that I think of it, about the time he began to go into training is when I saw a drop in the level of service. He's even told me that he tends to get irritable when he's in training and his wife can't stand him. He mentioned this week that he is off of carbs completely until the show. I should have realized it wasn't personal. I must have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm on a plateau right now and am pretty irritable myself so we're probably a lethal combination.
  • littlespoon
    Options
    I can understand why you're angry with his response and his head obviously isnt in the right place right now, from what you've said. I probably would have handled it a different way though - I wouldnt have complained to a person who I knew wasnt in the best frame of mind, I would have gone to someone else, or sent an email when I got home to the management. Also, people are only people, and I wouldnt have minded a class running late unless it was a regular occurrence.
  • jenn10
    jenn10 Posts: 161
    Options
    what ever happened to the customer is always right!!!! NO excuses - before my appointment with him tomorrow I would go in and talk to his boss and ask to have a different trainer! Life is to short to put up with rude behavior! He gets a comission off of your workouts -- give that money to someone who deserves it.
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I would definitely change trainers and / or gyms. You are working out to feel better and having to deal with someone elses stress and lateness doesn't really add into your goals. Let him have his 'bad days', but not at your expense.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I would definitely let him go, and if you've enjoyed working with a trainer, talk to the management at your gym about finding another one.

I would also take your complaints about that class consistently getting out late. My theory is that your trainer is friendly with the instructor of the first class, and was deflecting for him/her. But, if the gym is advertising a class to start at a certain time, that's when it should start. A little five minute overtime is one thing, but nearly half an hour is disrespectful to everyone.

I don't think you were "spreading negativity" just justifiable aggravation.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    We did an assessment when I first started working with him and are supposed to do follow up every month He just keeps forgetting lately. I've been getting good results but I'm seriously beginnning to question rather or not it's worth the money. I originally wanted a trainer because I needed the accountability and because I don't really enjoy strength training and I knew this was one way to ensure I would do it. And, I have to admit, up til now it's been pretty successful.

Not sure it's necessary anymore, so you're right, it's time to let him go. I think I can do ok on my own now.

I'm going to let go of the anger. Now that I think of it, about the time he began to go into training is when I saw a drop in the level of service. He's even told me that he tends to get irritable when he's in training and his wife can't stand him. He mentioned this week that he is off of carbs completely until the show. I should have realized it wasn't personal. I must have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm on a plateau right now and am pretty irritable myself so we're probably a lethal combination.

Yea, I let mine go after about 6 mos. We got along great, but between his help and my own education, I just didn't need him anymore. At some point a single trainer will have given you all their knowledge. But you can always try another one. Many trainers have different backgrounds or specialties...some know a lot about geriatric clients, or kids, or building strength, or olympic lifting, or running...so you will get something different from everyone.

I am willing to bet he didn't even think about how he sounded. My prof to was a professional BBer for 15 years said that once, like a week before a show, he reached 3% bodyfat! He ended up driving through three red lights and didn't realize it until he was almost home:noway: ...so they really do get a little nutty before show time.
  • lessertess
    Options
    Well, we had our session this morning. He apologized and stated that he would make sure that he was more focused and on time. I have 7 more sessions with him and then my program runs out. I don't think I'll renew, or if I do, I'll renew with someone else. I do enjoy working with a trainer but I think you're right, I might get more benefit from someone new.

I'll see how it goes.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I looked into getting a PT and couldnt afford it. Bought some videos and weights instead!! Oh yeah and a HRM.

Anyway....it should be a positive experience for you. I would not want to waste my money on even 7 sessions.

Good Luck:flowerforyou: