Setting a personal best!

Options
wewon
wewon Posts: 838 Member
I ran my first half marathon in May and finished at a time of 2:31.

I didn't have a goal, I simply wanted to complete it and have the benefit of the training program to help me get into shape.

I'm planning for a second 1/2 in October, and now I want to set a goal.

What is a reasonable way of establishing a new goal?

Is a 10% improvement (15 minutes) realistic or am I heading for a running injury trying that?

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I think your best bet is gauge your current level of fitness (perhaps run a 5K) and then set a new goal and training plan based on that effort. Honestly, the sky is the limit. You might be able to knock 30 or more of your time, it all depends on your training, weight loss, etc.

If you can't do a race, then perhaps you can do your own time trial type run. Either way, you need to get a handle on where you are now and then train accordingly.
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I agree with Arc. Do a 5k or 10k and check your time and see how you feel. Good luck!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the other said. Also, you can take you current PR and plug the time in here http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm. That will give you training paces geared to your current fitness level.

Train at those paces until Sept and then do a 5 or 10k time trial. By Sept your fitness should have improved and a time trial then should give you an idea of how you can run the half.

Between now and then run as many miles as you can handle and that you have time for to build a giant aerobic engine. That alone will ensure you run a faster time.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    McMillan is a great tool, I use it all the time to make sure my current training supports my desired goals.