weight loss tips please?

Options
what reallly works for you? im stuck and want to try other things...food. excerise?

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • skinnydaydreams
    Options
    Eat different foods and change your calories everyday. If you eat 1500, than 1200, than 1100,... it helps you more
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey

No, she is not eating enough.

OP: Eating 1200 when the MFP goal is 2000 is not good. If your goal is 1200 that is your net goal so you should eat 1200 plus your exercise calories. on days you burn 800 cals, if you only ate 1200, it is as if you are running on 400 calories only (1200-800), which is not enough to sustain regular functions and can cause serious issues if done consistently.
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Drink lots and lots of water. Eat more veggies. Log everything you eat. Switch up your exercise routines. Watch out for sodium.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I eat according to what we've all been told over the years is healthy. Whole grains, veggies, fruit, lean meat or fish, as little saturated fat as possible, unsaturated fats in moderation. No fad diets for me since this has worked for me for many years. I don't eat many sweets, but will eat bad foods occasionally, usually on the weekend. I eat foods I like and don't eat those I don't even if they are healthy. I drink tea more often than plain water, and I drink wine regularly. If I don't exercise regularly, I gain weight (40 lbs over at my heaviest), if I exercise regularly I don't.

I can recommend this lifestyle only because it has worked for me for over a decade. I'm over 50, not on any meds and just got my latest healthy checkup. I am currently about 15 lbs over what most charts would say is my "goal weight" but I'm healthy and fit and slowly losing (about 1 - 2 lbs a month now) so I'm happy.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Watch out for sodium.

Yeah, try to keep it as close to 1500mg as possible.... I've notice that when I go to the set limit of 2500mg I actually retain water weight.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    What's working for me is giving myself a calorie range rather than a set limit I stick strictly to. So my daily calorie allowance is between 1500-2000 calories, in that ballpark....and then jogging (which is more like a "trot", about 10 minute miles) 3 miles and walking 2 every evening. Other than that, I just try to drink as much water as I can, and try to limit sodium, caffeine and alcohol.

I've had a few snags here and there, but mostly I've attributed that to either too much diuretics (sodium, etc) thus water retention and/or being a bit lazy with calorie counting. I'm of the opinion that most 'plateaus' arent really plateaus at all, really, and are just more along the lines of, well....user error. If you find yourself in a plateau, be particularly stringent on your calorie counting for a few days just to make sure you count the calories you are taking in & burning accurately. If you are solely relying on 'guestimates' about the calories you are taking in AND burning (meaning: you dont use a HRM, but rather rely solely on BMR calculators & exercise machine estimates)....then dont be surprised when you have these plateaus, because eventually your equation will get off. Basically, what's working for me is reducing my diet down to a math problem.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I know you've made some great progress already, and have been really dedicated to losing this weight (I've seen your progress pics!) You've been running on low calories for a few weeks, which was working well for you in the beginning. Maybe it's time to readjust the calorie intake slowly, to get closer to the MFP recommendations. I say slowly, because you would probably gain a little weight first, and I don't want that to deter you.

Also, with exercise, maybe try something different. I regularly do the elliptical, and it's definitely a workout. But then I do a 10-20 minute workout video, and I'm completely out of breath 5 minutes in, and my whole body feels it. Maybe it's time to throw in a few new things.

You have been making great progress, though, and this is a good time to make a couple tweaks to continue your awesome progress. I know you can keep losing this weight!
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    Here's what works for me (also, feel free to check my diary):

1 - I am at a 1300 calorie goal daily and I eat my exercise calories
    2 - I drink lots of water and outside of my morning coffee and sometimes a white tea, that is all I drink. No soda at all
    3 - I set my macros at 40/30/30
    4 - I keep my sodium around 1500 most of the time
    5 - My exercise routine is running every other day (I just finished C25K and just started one hour runner)
    6 - Avoid processed foods as much as I can - I'm probably close to 90% good at this
  • tara4487
    tara4487 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Love all the tips and support def keeps me motivated I didn't get. To read the post til. Today thanks a bunch!!