SUGAR

Options
hi guys..well im getting a little frustrated as im eating really quite healthily and not eating any chocolate or bad things like that but my food diary tells me i am having over my daily sugar allowance? Maybe my sugar goal is wrong ? what should the daily sugar allowance be for a 5foot 5 n ahalf 208lb 32 year old woman? im really trying hard to lose this weight so want to do everything right
Thanks for taking the time to read my post

much love to you all :)

Replies

• jodibelle
    jodibelle Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If your sugar is from natural sources like fruit then I wouldn't worry to much about it. It's the processed sugar I would be more concerned about.
  • slimmedawn
    slimmedawn Posts: 33
    Options
    16g was in my porridge (already there not added) and 12 in a small apple???
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You need to read labels if you're buying anything that's 'made'. There are loads of hidden sugars: breads and cereals being major culprits. But like the last person said, if it's from natural sources, it's less to worry about.
  • bkube01
    bkube01 Posts: 20
    Options
    I also agree with jodibelle on sugars from natural sources. For more info, you might want to check out...

http://strongerfasterhealthier.tumblr.com/post/6522156103/the-toxicity-of-sugar-and-high-gi-carbs
  • katie_rn
    katie_rn Posts: 40
    Options
    i tried monitoring my sugar for like 2 days and got so frustrated because i was always over but it was from fresh fruit and healthy sources. i agree that its the processed sugar you sould be more concerned about. If you are monitoring your sugar on here, take a closer look at what you eat that contributes the most - is it fresh fruit, protein bars or more processed foods? just try watching that what you buy is lower in sugar or using better alternatives, like stevia or honey instead of white sugar. good luck!
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    16g was in my porridge (already there not added) and 12 in a small apple???

@ least 10g of the sugar in you oatmeal is processed white sugar. Anything that doesn't come directly from the plant or animal almost always has added sugar. Even skim milk!
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If your sugar is from natural sources like fruit then I wouldn't worry to much about it. It's the processed sugar I would be more concerned about.

Sugar is sugar, your body can't differentiate fruit sugar from sugar from a cupcake, or soda. Its all the same. I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless you're going like way over every single day.
  • slimmedawn
    slimmedawn Posts: 33
    Options
    [/quote]
    Sugar is sugar, your body can't differentiate fruit sugar from sugar from a cupcake, or soda. Its all the same. I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless you're going like way over every single day.
    [/quote]

well i always thought that too....today i have gone like 20g over its soo annoying :(
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I posted somethign similar yesterday. I've had a respectable breakfast and now I'm having a larabar and I'm already over my sugar for the day! Haven't even had lunch and dinner!! :sad:
  • dawnbrisset
    dawnbrisset Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I follow Jorge Cruise's The Belly Fat Cure, and eat 15 grams or less of sugar. Just by limiting my sugar to 15 grams and keeping my carbohydrates to 6 servings or less, I lost 12 pounds without counting calories. There are lots of others who have lost much, much more on this plan. Some blogs you could to go are meandjorge.com, purplerosy.blogspot.com to check them out.

I am counting calories now as well, because I am a healthy weight and want to lose that 'last 10,' and it's coming off too slowly for my liking. :) I am still limiting sugar to 15 grams and making sure I don't eat more than 6 servings of carbs per day (that's around 120 grams.) I plan on eating this way for the rest of my life.

Regardless of the source, natural sugar is still sugar, and our bodies still store extra sugar as fat. I think it's really important to limit your sugar intake - all of it - to a *maximum* of 25 grams per day, as the myfitnesspal tracker suggests. If you think about it, we weren't designed to eat so much sugar on a daily basis. We only eat so much now because it's so readily available and yummy.
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think anything over 10-11g of sugar is considered "high" so maybe try to choose foods that are almost always under that per serving. Sometimes I go over my sugars, like a lot...like yesterday, I had frozen yogurt for lunch and went way way over but I made sure to NOT have anything sugary when I got home and I'll try to balance it out by eating less sugar than normal today.
  • heathergettingfit
    Options
    Increasing your intake of foods with soluble fiber will help to off set the sugars you are taking in from natural sources. Oatmeal is a great source of soluble fiber (make sure it is not the instant kind) whole oat or rolled oat are better.
    Here is a great posting about what fiber (soluble and insoluble) does in your body and how it can help to regulate your sugar and fat absorption. http://www.helium.com/items/1460464-soluble-and-insoluble-fiber-benefits
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Only be concerned with your sugar intake if its coming from processed foods and other junk foods. Natural sugars from fruits are excellent for the body as it is turned into energy. Look for foods that are low in sugar or have organic or cane cane sugars.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    oh, seriously. I went over my sugar by drinking a 16 oz. smoothie that's all fruit and natural fruit juice. As long as most of your sugar is from natural sources and you're not diabetic, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • ezBrizy
    ezBrizy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've be wondering the same thing because by the time I've had the recommended daily servings of fruits and veggies, I'm over my limit. When looking for information most of the info I find talks about limiting "added sugars" to no more than 50g per day based on a 2000 cal diet. I'm just going to keep it in moderation and only worry about overages that come from added and refined sources.