I will need some help on this one...

Options
So I am about to embark on a huge adventure, I am going back to school. On Monday I begin my Masters program in Social Work, and along with that is a 600 mile commute, I will be on the road two days a week, and I am really scared that I will struggle to be able to make good food choices.

I plan to pack some stuff, but It is so much easier when you have the control in your own kitchen or at work,

Anybody out there on the road? What doyou do to get all your water, veggies/fruit, when you are out of your comfort zone?? Wish me luck....I feel like I have come to far to let this beat me now.:blushing:

93399.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

Replies

• gazellegirl
    gazellegirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    So I am about to embark on a huge adventure, I am going back to school. On Monday I begin my Masters program in Social Work, and along with that is a 600 mile commute, I will be on the road two days a week, and I am really scared that I will struggle to be able to make good food choices.

I plan to pack some stuff, but It is so much easier when you have the control in your own kitchen or at work,

Anybody out there on the road? What doyou do to get all your water, veggies/fruit, when you are out of your comfort zone?? Wish me luck....I feel like I have come to far to let this beat me now.:blushing:

93399.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Wow good luck. The best thing I can tell you is plan and pack what you will need.
  • katfio
    katfio Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd say plan ahead- try to pack food if/when you can, but know the restaurants that are along the route of where you're going & check out their menu's & plan ahead what you will order. I know that I always get anxious when I am going to eat out, b/c I'm nervous that I will eat foods that I shouldn't, but it helps me if I check out the menu online in advance & know my best choices before I'm there- and if possible, don't even look at the menu once your there- just order what you already picked out. Best of luck to you!
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I am not on the road, but I do take a thermal bag with me to work. I put in a freezit and then fill the bag with fruit, yogurt, cheese, etc......healthy snacks. Then I have a 24 oz bottle that I fill with water, add ice, and sip on that throughout the day. I go home for lunch and do the same thing when I come back to work in the afternoon. If I were on the road, I would do the same, but I would put a cooler in my car :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am driving around for 6-8 hrs a day in my vehicle. 4 years ago my dream job finally became reality.

Oh I had plans. Get a big cooler, put it in the car. Fill it with veggies and fruits and lowfat cheese. Make a sandwhich everyday, keep a case of water in the trunk, keep my sneakers in the car so I could stop at a nice new park for a 2 miles walk .........on and on....

I didnt do it and I gained 20 pounds.:cry::brokenheart:

My point: Make a plan and do it. You obviously are very determined or you wouldnt be going for your masters * I am VERY proud of you!

It is all a matter of making the right choices. You will feed your body one way or the other. Either with carrots and apples or cheeseburgers and fries. It is all up to you!

YOU are in control! Good Luck! I know you can do it :flowerforyou:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Plan your work, and work your plan! The school cafeteria may also have some healthy food, and fresh fruit and such, so check there as well. Good luck! :flowerforyou: