Low-calorie alternative for flour or lower-calorie flour?

Options
sar586
sar586 Posts: 40 Member
I've been doing a lot of baking recently and I've noticed that flour adds a significant amount of calories to recipes! I know of substitutes for eggs, butter, sugar, etc - but I cannot find any information on a lower-calorie flour.

Any ideas?

Replies

• teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    There are no real low calorie alternatives. Try to use flours with high nutritional content, like whole wheat or other whole grains. They are slightly denser than regular white flour but can be used just like white flour.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you using flour for? If it's to fry with, you can try using a cereal coating (like ground Fiber One cereal, Corn Flakes, etc.). As far as baking, there really isn't a substitute, unfortunately. You can try different kinds such as whole wheat, etc. though.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you're making, you can use something like black beans (if you have a food processor or blender).
    This recipe was amazing: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/black-bean-brownies/Detail.aspx
    Couldn't taste the black beans at all. Fooled my partner, who just said, "mmmmm great brownies dear!". :laugh:

I suppose you could use them for cake or muffins instead of brownies, too. Not sure about flavours other than chocolate, but I'm sure you can experiment.
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I just made homemade pasta (flour and eggs) and the calories SUCK. Are there any flour alternatives for making homemade pasta?
  • breezy1iam
    Options
    I've read about peanut flour being very low in calories as well as soy flour. Haven't tried either of them though. Has anyone?
  • sarvissa
    sarvissa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    In all my baking I substitute part of the white flour for whole wheat and ground flax. If a recipe calls for 2 cups flour, I'll put in 3/4 white, 3/4 cup whole wheat, and 1/2 cup ground flax. I generally try to make even ratios of white vs whole wheat. It lowers the calories and carbs and makes it taste SO much better!!
  • katmood
    katmood Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use Tova carbalose flour. It has 300 calories per cup. Fat 7, carbs 48, fiber 29, protein 31. Itis somehow made out of wheat. I use it for everything I need flour for with great results. Hope this helps. I had to order it on the internet. I believe from a place called Netrition.
  • CourtLiv
    CourtLiv Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've read about peanut flour being very low in calories as well as soy flour. Haven't tried either of them though. Has anyone?

Soy flour is okay, but you need to cut it with something (whole wheat flour, white whole wheat flour, etc). It isn't a whole lot lower in calories, but it is wicked high in protein. It also has a bit more fiber. Also, keep in mind, in heavy doses, soy can have negative impacts on the body and can actually cause weight gain, more so in people who have or may have thyroid related issues.

If you're going to try soy flour, I'd suggest making sure it's organic. They modify the heck out of soybeans nowadays, I wouldn't suggest knowingly introducing that junk into your bodies.
  • treyioo
    treyioo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Put dry rolled oats in food processor until it becomes fine

I usually use 1 cup dry (unprocessed) oats as a substitute for 1 cup flour. The volume of the oats might be lower after it's ground but I didn't bother measuring by how much.

Can be used for cake, brownies, quick bread, etc.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I just made homemade pasta (flour and eggs) and the calories SUCK. Are there any flour alternatives for making homemade pasta?

I've given up on pasta for the most part... when I need pasta noodles, I shred zucchini and cook it. Makes a pretty nice pasta substitute for me. :P
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I just use protein powder instead of flour when I bake
  • waterhouseb
    waterhouseb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal flour is actually a great lower-calorie alternative. It doesn't rice as much so I try to do 1/2 and 1/2 but its 100 calories less per cup when compared with white flour. You can make it just by putting regular oatmeal in a food processor or blender.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Put dry rolled oats in food processor until it becomes fine

I usually use 1 cup dry (unprocessed) oats as a substitute for 1 cup flour. The volume of the oats might be lower after it's ground but I didn't bother measuring by how much.

Can be used for cake, brownies, quick bread, etc.

Yum - I don't know why I don't use this more often. You can toast the oats a bit in the oven for a kind of nutty flavor.
  • kirstyyy12345
    Options
    What is a lower calorie substitute for butter and flour. I used spelt flour but for 1 1/2 cups its like 1200cals.
    Help!
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options

yes I've used peanut flour to make very low calorie peanut butter (20 cals/TBSP) but you can't eat it off the spoon like regular peanut butter-just in a pbj sandwich or toast.
    I bought mine from iHerb, and according to http://www.dietbites.com/calories/flour-calories-in-flour.html defatted peanut flour has 196 cals a cup! I must get some :o
  • be_patient
    Options
    What is a lower calorie substitute for butter and flour. I used spelt flour but for 1 1/2 cups its like 1200cals.
    Help!

you can use applesauce in place of butter, works especially well in cakes, muffins and other bready bakes
  • be_patient
    Options
    http://www.iherb.com/Protein-Plus-Roasted-All-Natural-Peanut-Flour-32-oz-907-g/36231

crazy high in protein, low in fat and cals. shame about the price though
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    In all my baking I substitute part of the white flour for whole wheat and ground flax. If a recipe calls for 2 cups flour, I'll put in 3/4 white, 3/4 cup whole wheat, and 1/2 cup ground flax. I generally try to make even ratios of white vs whole wheat. It lowers the calories and carbs and makes it taste SO much better!!

This is the best advice EVER.

If it's for a small item (say, you're making a mug cake): You can use almond flour or oat flour. Grinding your own almonds or old fashioned oats at home saves ya money. :)
  • skyyblue0
    skyyblue0 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I havent found one. I too love baking and oil puts a lot of calories in what you are making. I had a box of sugar free brownie mix and on the box it said it wasn't a low calorie food because it had 150 calories per serving, and that is without icing. But I made it 139 calories with icing and I did it by substituting the third cup of oil for a third of a cup of sour cream. Sometimes There isn't a substitution And you just have to find other ways.
  • sammorris73113528
    Options
    Bob's Red Mill Organic Whole Grain KAMUT Stone Ground Flour, per 1/4 cup (2 ounces) has 94 Calories and 2 calories from fat and 376 calories per cup, compared to other flours that have 400 calories per cup and 10 calories from fat or higher.

You can find Bob's Red Mill Organic KAMUT Stone Ground Flour at Amazon.com and if you take your time and look at all that are available, you can buy a 4-Panck of 4, 20 ounce bags for around $12.00 and get free shipping with Amazon Prime.

This is a great flour that has a buttery nut flavor and rises well when baking. It comes from Montana where KAMUT wheat is found best to be grown. It has a longer grain than other wheat and is unbleached.

I use this KAMUT Wheat flour for making pancakes and waffles and I leave out the egg when using this KAMUT flour as it stays together very well without an egg. I make Belgium waffles 1-1/8 inch thick and 7-inches in diameter with this KAMUT Flour and they are very delicious. Each Belgium Waffle is made with 3/4 cup of batter and the waffles are only 154 calories. Pancakes are made with 3 oz of batter and only 76.8 calories and 1.3 calories from fat.

I use Molly Mc Butter Fat Free Butter Sprinkles, only 5 calories per teaspoon and 15 calories per Tablespoon and 0 calories from fat. I use Smart Balance Original Non-Stick cooking spray = 0 calories and 0 calories from fat.

I wrote my recipe from scratch for my new diet book. I have been on my diet plan for 5 months now and I have lost 80 pounds so far. I want to lose another 75 pounds before I'm finished and publish my diet plan.

You will like Bob's Red Mill Organic Whole Grain KAMUT Stone Ground Flour.

I have wrote my own diet plan book, which is at 191 pages currently, but still have more weight to lose before publishing. I have wrote many nutritious, low calorie recipes for my diet plan. My pancakes and waffles are very delicious. When I make my big 7-inch Belgium Waffles, I will usually munch on two of them all day. I break them into 4 sections each and I don't use any syrup, they are delicious without the syrup. Two 7-inch Belgium Waffles are just 308 calories and 5.2 calories from fat.

When I use syrup, I use Maple Grove Farms Maple Flavor Sugar Free Syrup 2 oz = 30 calories or 15 calories per ounce.

I just signed up today, here at this myfitnesspal website, where my name is part of my name at the site ( sammorris73113528 ) and at Facebook it's just my name, but not all squished together. You can reach me there most any time. Happy dieting.