you will always be fat...

Options
2»

Replies

• freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I don’t buy that at all. It’s just a matter of knowing what it was that made you fat in the first place and not doing that again. Simple sounding I know. But if you make eating the right foods, and avoiding the wrong foods part of your life then you don’t have to worry any longer, because it becomes natural. Same with exercise, if you decide to make exercise part of your life, and I don’t mean hitting the treadmill for 2 hours a day, but just get off the damn couch and go for a walk. You will have long lasting health. That is what I’m working towards, I have found the eating style, and the exercise style I will make part of my lifestyle now I just have to make them part of my daily life, and so far that is going good.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I read in a runner's world article that when have been overweight you will always be overweight or you will always worry about being overweight.
    In my personal experience this realization is dead on. I was overweight, lost much of my overweight, and when I stopped worrying about weight I gained it all back.
    It seems like we are all doomed to worry about our weights for the rest of our lives, which is not too bad, compared to the alternative.

Do you agree? what's your take?

I think that's a very generalized statement to make. The difference is that you stopped worrying about it. If you lose weight by working hard and eating right and stop when you reach your goal weight, it shouldn't really surprise you that the weight comes back. weight loss is only permanent if you adjust your lifestyle accordingly.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I think we are all born with a thorn to bare... ours is weight! I hate this as much as anyone but have hope to learn to manage better. There are much worse "thorns" many cope with and that is reason to be thankful.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Actually, I remember that article very well. It really struck a chord with me. Peter Sagal wrote it, which I found pretty cool.

I don't think the point of the article was that you'll gain everything back once you stop worrying; it was that the shadow of the fat person you used to be will always be with you, no matter how healthy, happy, and slim you get. Mentally, you will always be running from that fat person, especially if the way that worked for you wasn't the healthiest.

I know for me, it's true. I have always been athletic, every since I was a kid, and I didn't have to worry about weight until high school, when suddenly I got a lot of hormones going on, and I ended up getting a bit chunkier. Not fat, just chunkier. I started watching what I ate, and running cross-country, and I toned up. Then I got into college and my first relationship, and ended up not being as active. I gained about 15lbs, without really noticing it. I then broke up with the guy I was dating, and decided to redefine my life, so I began running again, got more serious with martial arts, lost that 15lbs initially, and then another 15, because once I got going, I couldn't stop.

But I did it not only with running, but with a lot of restricting, and then eventually, got into pretty serious eating disorder territory. I became terrified of even eating one piece of chocolate, or one cookie, because mentally, the way that had worked for me did not permit that. Food became an enemy. I just couldn't enjoy it any more, and no matter how great I felt and looked, I still had mental notes in my head in terms of food. I could sit there and have an extra portion of pasta only if I knew that I had done my 6 miles for the day, or did an extra workout later. And even then, I still felt absolutely TERRIFIED of that food, even though logically, I knew that I'd be fine.

Even today, when I'm eating healthy and running again, losing the weight slowly, I still have nagging voices in the back of my head that I have to force myself to ignore, because they're entirely irrational. But they're a product of being that chunky girl that got dumped that started running again to get away from her chunky, unhappy self, and they won't ever go away entirely.

So it's not that I'll get fat once I stop worrying; it's just that once you've been fat, or even just moderately overweight, it seems impossible to be thin without worrying you'll get fat again. The two aren't mutually inclusive, I suppose, but for me, that article was bang-on.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Its true for those who "diet" but those who make the effort to regularly exercise and eat healthy regardless of weather they are overweight or not will not because they will have made a lifestyle change. You can be unhealthy in your "Healthy" range just like you can in the overweight range if you don't exercise or eat too much junk.

When I get down to a healthy weight for me I won't stop exercising or eating healthy because I would feel like crap if I did. Even now when I eat junk food like tv dinners, soda, or some fast food it makes me a bit sickish feeling. I also feel like complete crap when I go too long without hitting the gym!
  • hemisam
    hemisam Posts: 3
    Options
    yea you know i am just getting use to this web site. and it is hard 4 me to watch what i eat and so forth
  • RhysUK
    RhysUK Posts: 8
    Options
    If you go on a diet, but don't change your life, then yes, there is a chance that you will always be fat.

When I first met my personal trainer in November 2010, the first thing she told me was "You are not on a diet, I am going to teach you how to change your life so that excercise and a healthy diet are a natural part of what you do"

She was right, 6 months or so later, I think differently about food, drinks and snacks - but I'm still not "on a diet". Many friends comment on how good I look and how much weight I've lost, but when they ask "Are you dieting" I say "No, I'm not"

There are no short-cuts, ignore the fad diets, being healthy is a lifestyle it's not some kind of temporary fix.

BTW - I've just dicovered this website and app - love it!

Rhys
    November 2010 - 108 Kg
    June 2011 - 91 Kg
    Goal 80 Kg
  • sushisuzi2
    sushisuzi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've done the whole "lifestyle change" about 10 times since 1987. Life happens...
  • pittielover23
    Options
    Well I certainly hope not, because if that is the case, what the hell is the point? LOL

I want to get to the poitn that I have a healthy relationship with food and my body. I cannot think that is impossible.
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think for me that's why my ultimate goal is not to lose weight but to live a healthier lifestyle for the rest of my life. Although weight loss would be a fantastic perk, it's not my only reason for doing all of this.

If I can make a permanent change then hopefully I can break the cycle. :)

AMEN!
  • roadrunner32
    Options
    Totally...How easy is it to gain it all back. We have all been there. 5 off, 7 on, 6 off, 10 on, and so on. I swear, it is almost easier for a person to get off drugs than for someone to lose weight and KEEP it off. This site helps a lot though, so I am staying here for my 12 step program.

I agree with you...I mean for me it was easy enough to give up smoking ( and I was totally addicted), give up alcohol and coffee but with food it's different...we have to eat! That's where my problems starts. I live my life through addictions thank god I never came close to drugs! If I'm not addicted to biscuits than something else comes along like soda for example. I never been too overweight because I'm quite active but sometimes I wish I could just have a break from it all. I feel tired of waking up every morning and thinking about what to eat next, am I doing the right thing etc. I wish it would be that simple to eat just fruits, vegetables, nuts,etc and not having to worry about gaining weight. Fed up of yo-yo diets!
    I know how negative I sound, I was 'blessed' with that but I do feel trapped. So to go back to the article in runners world it's not always easy to break a bad eating habit. When you think you are doing great there comes a TV ad at 10pm showing you this gorgeous girl eating the yummiest ice-cream under the sky! How could I fight temptation and not go to the shop to buy it?
    I guess I'm just a hopeless case but having said that I still refuse to believe that I will always be fat :)
  • Roszepoo
    Roszepoo Posts: 46
    Options
    The great quote "You are what you think" is true. Renew your mind..your body will follow.
  • ellabellaluv
    Options
    I dont know much about being overweight but i do know, its all about maintaining the weight that you feel comfortable with. It is and will always be hard to keep the pounds off but think of it as a whole new you. Think of it as a whole new lifestyle, and work in daily excersize and fun activities that can help. Don't ever think its impossible- i wish you the best of luck. :) good luck
  • RedRage00
    RedRage00 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

I don't think the point of the article was that you'll gain everything back once you stop worrying; it was that the shadow of the fat person you used to be will always be with you, no matter how healthy, happy, and slim you get. Mentally, you will always be running from that fat person, especially if the way that worked for you wasn't the healthiest.

So it's not that I'll get fat once I stop worrying; it's just that once you've been fat, or even just moderately overweight, it seems impossible to be thin without worrying you'll get fat again. The two aren't mutually inclusive, I suppose, but for me, that article was bang-on.

I totally agree with you. I used to weigh 300 pounds and I'm down to under 200. Even though people tell me that I look great, etc......that fat kid is always there. I don't know what it is....I'm a confident guy, but its just a mental thing I guess.
  • tiaydew
    tiaydew Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump, read later
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I find it is true for me. I know that as much weight as I lose or as healthy as I get, I will never shed my inner fat kid. Deep down I know he is in there somewhere. All I can do is keep on running so that he never catches up to me again.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    The great quote "You are what you think" is true. Renew your mind..your body will follow.
    :flowerforyou:
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I think for me that's why my ultimate goal is not to lose weight but to live a healthier lifestyle for the rest of my life. Although weight loss would be a fantastic perk, it's not my only reason for doing all of this.

If I can make a permanent change then hopefully I can break the cycle. :)

Ditto and Amen!