OT: RIP Paul Newman! :(

Options
Legendary actor Paul Newman dies at age 83 2 minutes ago

WESTPORT, Conn. - Paul Newman, the Academy-Award winning superstar who personified cool as an activist, race car driver, popcorn impresario and the anti-hero of such films as "Hud," "Cool Hand Luke" and "The Color of Money," has died. He was 83.

ADVERTISEMENT

Newman died Friday after a long battle with cancer at his farmhouse near Westport, publicist Jeff Sanderson said. He was surrounded by his family and close friends.

In May, Newman he had dropped plans to direct a fall production of "Of Mice and Men," citing unspecified health issues.

He got his start in theater and on television during the 1950s, and went on to become one of the world's most enduring and popular film stars, a legend held in awe by his peers. He was nominated for Oscars 10 times, winning one regular award and two honorary ones, and had major roles in more than 50 motion pictures, including "Exodus," "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "The Verdict," "The Sting" and "Absence of Malice."

Newman worked with some of the greatest directors of the past half century, from Alfred Hitchcock and John Huston to Robert Altman, Martin Scorsese and the Coen brothers. His co-stars included Elizabeth Taylor, Lauren Bacall, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks and, most famously, Robert Redford, his sidekick in "Butch Cassidy" and "The Sting."

He sometimes teamed with his wife and fellow Oscar winner, Joanne Woodward, with whom he had one of Hollywood's rare long-term marriages. "I have steak at home, why go out for hamburger?" Newman told Playboy magazine when asked if he was tempted to stray. They wed in 1958, around the same time they both appeared in "The Long Hot Summer," and Newman directed her in several films, including "Rachel, Rachel" and "The Glass Menagerie

Replies

• TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Legendary actor Paul Newman dies at age 83 2 minutes ago

WESTPORT, Conn. - Paul Newman, the Academy-Award winning superstar who personified cool as an activist, race car driver, popcorn impresario and the anti-hero of such films as "Hud," "Cool Hand Luke" and "The Color of Money," has died. He was 83.

ADVERTISEMENT

Newman died Friday after a long battle with cancer at his farmhouse near Westport, publicist Jeff Sanderson said. He was surrounded by his family and close friends.

In May, Newman he had dropped plans to direct a fall production of "Of Mice and Men," citing unspecified health issues.

He got his start in theater and on television during the 1950s, and went on to become one of the world's most enduring and popular film stars, a legend held in awe by his peers. He was nominated for Oscars 10 times, winning one regular award and two honorary ones, and had major roles in more than 50 motion pictures, including "Exodus," "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "The Verdict," "The Sting" and "Absence of Malice."

Newman worked with some of the greatest directors of the past half century, from Alfred Hitchcock and John Huston to Robert Altman, Martin Scorsese and the Coen brothers. His co-stars included Elizabeth Taylor, Lauren Bacall, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks and, most famously, Robert Redford, his sidekick in "Butch Cassidy" and "The Sting."

He sometimes teamed with his wife and fellow Oscar winner, Joanne Woodward, with whom he had one of Hollywood's rare long-term marriages. "I have steak at home, why go out for hamburger?" Newman told Playboy magazine when asked if he was tempted to stray. They wed in 1958, around the same time they both appeared in "The Long Hot Summer," and Newman directed her in several films, including "Rachel, Rachel" and "The Glass Menagerie
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Aww, sad :(
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Hi Tam-- I just saw this online-- I LOVED this man's acting.

I just read a quote attributed to him about why he was never tempted to stray and be unfaithful to Joanne Woodward. He said, "I have steak at home, why go out for hamburger." What a guy. May his soul rest in peace.

How sad-- prayers for his wife and family--
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    :frown:

Gotta admit....he sure looked good still at his ripe old age.

R.I.P.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    He did look good!!

I actually saw him in person a few years ago when I was a nanny. I had taken the kids to the Westport Country Playhouse in Westport, CT for a childrens play and he was there with his grandchildren!

Yes, I was very starstruck! Like when I saw Sidney Poitier!! Something about those legends!! WOW!!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah-- he was a hottie right up to the end. When he was in his later movies, in his '60s and '70s he was a total cutiepie.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :cry: :heart:
    RIP
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Read this on the MSN homepage :ohwell:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    rest in peace to one of the best and most genuine men that has ever graced the screen
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I was so sad to see that he had passed away. I've always been a fan. He's so talented and always seemed to be such a genuine person.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    :sad: I saw this at the club this morning when I was working out. He was such a real human being, it's just not fair that we lose the truly good men... :sick:
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    R.I.P. Paul:cry:
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My friends dog threw up on his shoes and he took it like a gentleman!