Need Input - Fish Oil supplements

Options
So I read that I should be getting the famous Omega 3 Fatty Acids. My husband is taking Fish Oil 1000mg twice a day for himself. I want to get on them too, but I'm like.. 1000mg??.. that seems a little high on the intake?

I'm curious to know if this is okay to start out with, or if I should get a lower dosage first and work my way up to the 1000mg tablets. My husband says it should be fine, but I don't know if there's a difference between men doses and women doses.

I would LOVE your input!! Thanks!

Replies

• Dippydog
    Dippydog Posts: 154
    Options
    My doc told me to take 4000mg per day. May be best to check with yours.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    1000 mg is just 1g, it really isn't that much.
  • traceysturn
    traceysturn Posts: 196
    Options
    I take the same dose. 2 a day - 1000mg - my dr recommended it in trying to bring down my chol. a bit. So far it has worked & I have my yearly tomorrow so i will be curious to see where its at now. If you still feel unsure - ask the doc:wink:
  • traceysturn
    traceysturn Posts: 196
    Options
    I take the same dose. 2 a day - 1000mg - my dr recommended it in trying to bring down my chol. a bit. So far it has worked & I have my yearly tomorrow so i will be curious to see where its at now. If you still feel unsure - ask the doc:wink:
  • sportsjunkee70
    sportsjunkee70 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You can also take Flaxseed Oil supplements and get the same Omega 3's.... then when you sweat you wont smell like fish. just sayin
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    http://robbwolf.com/faq/ <---I love Robb Wolf. (Fair warning: I love the paleo diet, too.) I'm only posting this, because I just re-read it and loved, loved, loved this: {Direct quote} "If you are ill (overweight, have inflammation, autoimmunity) and complain this seems like “too much fish oil” let me ask you this: If your house is burning down, are you concerned about too much water being used by the fire department? No? Good, same story with fish oil. Your house is burning down, kiddo. Let it burn or save your *kitten*, that’s your call. Your overactive immune system is right at the heart of things and fish oil + a Paleo diet will fix it."
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Krill oil is probably a more effective fish oil than your basic fish oil. If the capsules are red, those are the ones you want. Recent studies have come out that not all fish oils are created the same. The red color is the astaxanthin which is very beneficial to the body as an immune booster. It is what causes shrimp to look red when cooked and what gives wild salmon it's red color. Farm raised salmon is gray in color and they have to artificially color the salmon to look red. Definitely go with Krill oil.
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I would have to check to actual dose, but I took 2 capsules twice a day (4 total) for purposes of lowering my crazy cholesterol. I also took flax seed and something called "red yeast rice" capsules. (Red yeast rice is the "plant" that pharmaceutical cholesterol meds are derived from.) Those 3 things together, without any exercise or diet changes (and my diet was bad and exercise non-existent) took my total cholesterol from 300 to 200. Still too high, but that's a HUGE decrease without any pharmaceutical medication. My doc didn't think I would be able to make any significant change at all without medication, and he was shocked by my results.

Omegas are a safe supplement and you don't need to worry about getting too much really. However keep in mind that quality matters when it comes to any supplement, so be sure you are getting a high quality supplement or you are wasting your money. Life Extension is a reputable company that makes quality products, and can be found online at www.lef.org. (I get nothing from recommending them.)
  • quietmortal
    Options
    I don't think I've ever seen them in the store in any lower doses than 1000mg. According to WebMD, 3000mg/day is considered a "low dose" which is safe for women who are pregnant or breast-feeding. I've been taking 2 1000mg fish oil tablets every day for the last several years, with no ill effects. Plus I eat salmon at least 1-2 times per week. If you still have doubts, call your doctor's office and ask.
  • crazyears
    crazyears Posts: 50
    Options
    Thanks so much for the link. I am trying to get back into Paelo after binging on junk for a couple years. I think this might be my new favorite site.
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    Thanks so much for the link. I am trying to get back into Paelo after binging on junk for a couple years. I think this might be my new favorite site.
    You're welcome! :D
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I had Fish Oil recommended to me by my pain management doctor to help with inflammation as well as Flaxseed oil. I take 3000mg of each twice a day. That's a bit more than the recommended dosage. I haven't read much of any negative side effects besides the fishy burps (which I've found can be negated if you keep them in the fridge).
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Well I am taking way too little then, It has some funny effects for me like I suddenly crave fish-no joke and I am not a fish eater so this is good. The other effect I won't share but was a little gross. I guess it's time to step up my game and maybe that gross effect will pass.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I take 1200 mg a day - one capsule.

Sometimes I get no burps, sometimes fishy burps that gross me out, and sometimes fishy burps that taste like I just had sushi. :blushing:
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I had Fish Oil recommended to me by my pain management doctor to help with inflammation as well as Flaxseed oil. I take 3000mg of each twice a day. That's a bit more than the recommended dosage. I haven't read much of any negative side effects besides the fishy burps (which I've found can be negated if you keep them in the fridge).

I get the fishy burp too. I'll have to try that! I also take them on a full stomach, and that helps.
  • MsKittyCAT
    MsKittyCAT Posts: 217
    Options
    I take 1 1200mg softgel cap once a day - maybe that is not enough? I haven't had any fishy burps thankfully. I'm not a big fish eater - if it tastes fishy I don't want it!