need replacement for chips/salsa

Options
I'm trying to avoid highly processed carbs and as such, am having a ridiculous time trying to find a swap for my chips and salsa. I really dont want to give up salsa, and I use it on eggs, in salads, etc, but on days I've ridden my bike over 60 miles, I need the extra calories. I could just snack on chips and salsa, but that goes against the eating model I'm trying to adhere to.

Any suggestions for a snacky item that would go good with salsa that isn't a highly processed chip? I'm open to whole grain chips if you know of any :)

Thanks!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Corn is a whole grain. It does have more sugar than some others, but that would not make it any more or less processed than any other grain. It's ground up, mixed with oil, fried into a chip and then salted.
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Check out gracious pantry.com, I think there is a recipe for homemade chips on there and maybe salsa.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    You could make your own - chips and salsa are both very easy to do.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    You might feel better about making your own chips like I do...

Slice up corn tortillas, spray with nonstick cooking spray, spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast in a 350 degree oven until crispy (about 6 minutes - keep an eye on them!!)
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I don't know how it would taste, but maybe some pork skins.???:huh:
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    try tostidos baked scoops
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    use corn tortillas and cut them into chip shape. Put on cookie sheet and spray with cooking spray. Put into 350 oven for 10 min or so. Flip all chips Spray with a bit more cooking spray and cook 10 more min or till crisp. :) I think it's 100 cals for 2 corn tortillas cut up. Salsa is so easy to make so I'm sure you can find one that you like. :)
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i ate leftover restaurant salsa with triscuit thin crisps last night...i had the parmesan/garlic ones and it was good.....14 crackers for 130cals....
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    they have rice crackers at wal-mart, low cal and good for the crunchy cravings.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    ok, now this is going to sound really stupid, but corn tortillas are considered a whole grain product? i dont do a lot of corn around here because my daughter has an allergy (what the hell, right? lol it's confirmed with an allergen test but i had never heard of a corn allergy before, sheesh!), so when im reading about my own diet plans, i usually overlook anything corn-related. i didn't realize corn chips were considered whole grain. :blushing:

thanks for the link to gracious pantry! :)
  • jamfan
    jamfan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Baked tostidos, The only ingredients are corn & salt. The bowl version has some oil in the ingredients. but only the three ingredients still.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Make your own! Cut up corn tortias, bake or broil until crispy! yumm!
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If you need the extra calories just go to a holistic market or whole foods and find an all-natural chip free of ingredients you can't pronounce! Otherwise, eggs, quesadillas, pita chips, shrimp or fish with salsa, black beans or burgers.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    How about buying some whole wheat tortillas and cutting them up into pieces and baking them to make your own chips for the salsa......

Wouldn't that be better nutritionally than the regular chips ??
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    How about buying some whole wheat tortillas and cutting them up into pieces and baking them to make your own chips for the salsa......

Wouldn't that be better nutritionally than the regular chips ??

you hit the nail on the head. im still trying to get my head wrapped around 'whole grain' 'whole wheat' and the differences between them. LOL Apparently, 'whole wheat' is 'whole grain', being that wheat is a grain, and if the wheat is whole, it's whole wheat/whole grain.

Which is just fine by me, because look what i just found, mmmmmmm

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-wheat-tortilla-chips/
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    lol i just realized after looking at two different recipes on that website i just linked to, that it's gracious pantry, the same site mentioned in an earlier post.

sheesh, i think i left my brain upstairs this morning :D
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to avoid highly processed carbs and as such, am having a ridiculous time trying to find a swap for my chips and salsa. I really dont want to give up salsa, and I use it on eggs, in salads, etc, but on days I've ridden my bike over 60 miles, I need the extra calories. I could just snack on chips and salsa, but that goes against the eating model I'm trying to adhere to.

Any suggestions for a snacky item that would go good with salsa that isn't a highly processed chip? I'm open to whole grain chips if you know of any :)

Thanks!
    There are differing ideas of what "processed" is. If you eat bread, yogurt, cheese, deli meats/cold cuts and cheeses, cereal, sausage, even some fresh meats...it is all processed. Most food is unless you take it out of the ground or slaughter the animal. ANY wheat or corn or oat... "products" are processed. ONLY the GRAIN itself, out of the "field" is not processed. So YOU must have an idea of what you are looking for. There are "whole grain" chips, there are salsas with no added salt or preservatives and even organic. I enjoy Enricos salsa, organic, no salt or preservatives added, I enjoy Garden of Eatin or several other brands of corn chips (just check for less salt, no preservatives...)

Eating "whole" foods is not hard, nor does it mean that you have to give up what you like, you just have to know what you are looking for and what you want. Grinding a grain IS processing, adding salt or nitrites, or pasteurizing and homogenizing products are "processing methods." Also, there are high carb foods that grow in nature that may have negative effects just as "processed high carbs." Buying a "Whole Grain" tortilla and frying it yourself DOES NOT mean it is not "processed." Know what you want and then go find it, make sure what you do is sustainable for You.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    If you have a food dehydrator, try making cucumber or zucchini chips. Or...you could bake zucchini 'chips'. Slice thin and long and bake until brown around the edges. Yum.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    If you have a food dehydrator, try making cucumber or zucchini chips. Or...you could bake zucchini 'chips'. Slice thin and long and bake until brown around the edges. Yum.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:

NOW, THIS is a whole food and closer to NOT Processed. Just saying...
  • CeleryStalker
    Options

Thanks!
    There are differing ideas of what "processed" is. If you eat bread, yogurt, cheese, deli meats/cold cuts and cheeses, cereal, sausage, even some fresh meats...it is all processed. Most food is unless you take it out of the ground or slaughter the animal. ANY wheat or corn or oat... "products" are processed. ONLY the GRAIN itself, out of the "field" is not processed. So YOU must have an idea of what you are looking for. There are "whole grain" chips, there are salsas with no added salt or preservatives and even organic. I enjoy Enricos salsa, organic, no salt or preservatives added, I enjoy Garden of Eatin or several other brands of corn chips (just check for less salt, no preservatives...)

Eating "whole" foods is not hard, nor does it mean that you have to give up what you like, you just have to know what you are looking for and what you want. Grinding a grain IS processing, adding salt or nitrites, or pasteurizing and homogenizing products are "processing methods." Also, there are high carb foods that grow in nature that may have negative effects just as "processed high carbs." Buying a "Whole Grain" tortilla and frying it yourself DOES NOT mean it is not "processed." Know what you want and then go find it, make sure what you do is sustainable for You.

What I am aiming for is clean eating ;)