Heart Rate Monitor

Options
What's a good heart rate monitor? Having one be waterproof would be a huge plus, but isn't completely necessary. I want one that can tell me my heart rate, calories burned, and distance.

Replies

• ksmittens
    ksmittens Posts: 65
    Options
    I have a Polar from Target it has a chest strap (some don't like them) but I love it. Very easy to use and accurate.
  • sshap21712
    sshap21712 Posts: 139
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7. It is waterproof and I swim with it all the time. It seems very accurate.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    What's a good heart rate monitor? Having one be waterproof would be a huge plus, but isn't completely necessary. I want one that can tell me my heart rate, calories burned, and distance.

To measure distance you will need one with GPS, some Garmin HRMs have this built in but do cost an arm and a leg vs. the ones that don't have GPS.
  • kingvinney
    Options
    Garmin has some really good products. One thing to check for when you buy it is if the battery can be relaced easy.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Anything Polar... Most get the Ft4 or the Ft7. If you want one that tells distance your prob. going to want to look at the Polar FT60.

I also hear that Garmin ones are good for running and have GPS in them and whatnot. Steer clear of Timex.. they are the worst at estimating calories burned.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT 4 and it is waterproof. I use it in the pool every day. You just have to make sure you rinse the strap after each use. Make sure you get one with a chest strap, as the ones without them are not very accurate. Mine was around $70 off of Amazon.com and the shipping was free. It allows you to put all of your personal info in like age, sex, weight, and height. It figures out your "zone" and keeps track of not only your calories, but also how long you stay in the zone during your exercise. It keeps track of your last 10 workouts in detail and a running total of all your workouts that you can clear out whenever you want. I reset it every month. I hope this helps.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    If you want distance you need a GPS one (although some other ones have a pedometer). I have a Garmin Forerunner305 and I love it! However the GPS ones don't work inside (like on a treadmill) unless you have a footpod for it (works like a pedometer). But as my exercise is usually outdoors (hiking/walk run intervals) I didn't get the footpod. I actually got a pretty good deal on it off of amazon.