Bar food help

Options
I play in a Texas Hold'em Poker League on Wednesday nights at what's basically a sports bar (owned by Steve McMichael!). Their menu consists of your standard bar food...burgers, wings, sandwiches etc. I struggle each week to find something that won't bust my calorie budget each week...and am coming up short. They don't have nutritional information available...so my question is...

What do you do when there is nothing on the menu that is "diet worthy"? What would be the best menu option?

If you google "The Mongo McMichaels" you can find their site with their menu posted.

Thanks!

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Without checking their menu, I'd say the main things to do would be to order an item that is light on breading/cheese/sauces. So, perhaps a sandwich that doesn't have fattening cheese or tons of mayo. Avoid the fried options.

Consider eating only half of whatever you order. Only drink water while there.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I would say a salad or maybe the "bare naked chicken tenders" with no sauce. Or if I know that I am going out somewhere that I want to eat something that isn't very healthy or go out drinking, I just try and squeeze in an extra long workout so that I know I have extra calories to play with. Also even if they don't have their nutrition info posted, look through the database and try and find something similar, just so you know approximately what you are looking at :)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Eat before your go and drink diet pop or light drinks.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Looks like they have several choices of grilled chicken. Maybe sub spicy mustard or a light dressing for the normal dressing or sauce they use. I saw a wrap, sandwich and tenders.
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    I work away from home Mon-Thurs at the moment, so I can identify with the eating out but not knowing what the calories are, as so few places here in the UK actually put up nutritional details. I try to go for foods without sauce, and low on things I know to be high calorie (cheese/bread/anything fried). For things like salad, ask for the dressing on the side - that way you can have maybe a little if you hate bare salad :)

The other thing is to trawl the database for similar foods - there's so many foods in there, I recently ate out at a tapas bar, which didn't have nutritional info but I managed to work out similar enough foods in the database.

Your other option (and this depends on how much time you have before you leave) is to eat a full dinner before you go, then just drink water/diet soda for the rest of the evening. That way you've had a proper dinner & shouldn't be tempted by the bar food (possibly easier said than done though!) :-)
  • cjs3001
    cjs3001 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I would say a salad or maybe the "bare naked chicken tenders" with no sauce. Or if I know that I am going out somewhere that I want to eat something that isn't very healthy or go out drinking, I just try and squeeze in an extra long workout so that I know I have extra calories to play with. Also even if they don't have their nutrition info posted, look through the database and try and find something similar, just so you know approximately what you are looking at :)

I think that's a good idea. If you plan what you're going to have before and make sure you get a great work out in on Wednesday/Thursday, you should be okay. It is only one day of the week and you have to treat yourself sometimes so as long as you know what you're having isn't going to be tooo bad, you can enjoy it without feeling guilty or that you'll gain weight. I also agree with the 'looking for similars' too, I do that a lot when I can't find the place I'm eating at and it gives you a good general idea (I tend to go for the high end or middling ones, because then hopefully at least you'll over estimate rather than give yourself more calories in a day to eat) :smile:
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    The bear naked tenders would be ok, and so would the Southwestern wrap with no sauce, just the pico... have half. Same with the southwest chicken flatbread.

Rule of thumb... remove all sauces and cheeses and substitute veggies or sauces like salsa, pico de gallo, or spicy mustard. You'll be fine!
  • gec1266
    gec1266 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I took a quick peek at Mongo's menu and I saw at first glance...barenaked tenders. That seems like a good place to start. Simple grilled chicken with your choice of dipping sauce. Unless they top it with something that isn't listed on the website,that would be my first choice. Trust me,I play in a bar poker league and they try to push the burger menu down your throat. However,I started off with,"Do you have grilled chicken sandwiches?" and worked my way from there. I'm sure that they will be glad to help in this area. Always remember that they want to turn a profit and if a paying customer wants to eat (and eat healthy) they will do whatever they can to make it happen. Continued success on your journey and always fold mid pair under the gun when faced with a 4 or 5 bet...lol..
  • cassandra827
    cassandra827 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well it's not too bad of a menu....if I found the right one online http://www.themongomcmichaels.com/Menu.aspx

Here is what I would get (these are just my suggestions) based on the menu:

Bare Naked Tenders (no sauce) - which is basically just grilled chicken
    Honey BBQ Bacon Chicken sandwich (no bbq sauce, bacon, or cheese) -which is basically a plain chicken sandwich*
    Chicken Sandwich (no mayo)*easy on bun for both sandwiches
    Grilled Blacken Chicken Salad (no cheese or crotons, dressing on the side)
    Greek Salad (no feta...or light on feta, dressing on side)
    Cobb Salad (no bacon, cheese or crotons, dressing on side)
    Mandarin Salad (no cheese or crotons, dressing on side)

If all else fails and you don't want to be "that guy" ordering with specifics (although I suggest it because your paying a restaurant for your food and they are there to serve you) than what I do when im headed to a restaurant with lousy options is to "pregame". Meaning I eat something healthy and filling before I go so I'm not hungry when I arrive and can either pass on food all together or simply get by with a side salad (no cheese or crotons, dressing on side). I know that is not always an easy option esp. if the plan is to go out to eat. Also always check the menu online and check the MFP database here to see if anyone has entered menu info...always helps to have a game plan ahead of time.

Hope that helps...good like in the game tonight :)
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I never knew this place existed - and I live in Chicago! I love Mongo!!
    Any way, grilled chicken (either sandwich or the naked tenders) look ok.
    Even the salads look ok, with the dressing on the side. Stay away from anything crispy, friend or "loaded" with anything!
  • VidaSana
    VidaSana Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I checked out their menu. Their best, healthiest option is the Mandarin salad. Add grilled chicken to it. A Perfect dinner!

Other good options are the chicken sandwich (No mayo. Substitute that for honey mustard).

The blackened chicken salad is also good.

Theres always healthy options wherever you go. When Im watching what I eat and I end up at a pub or bar, I don't even look at the sandwiches, wraps or fried foods. I skip right down to the dinner salads and typically pick a salad with grilled chicken, and ask for sauce on the side so you have control over the amount.

Enjoy :-)
    Jenny
  • Justamom410
    Justamom410 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's hard to eat before I go since they like the players to eat their food and my former favorite foods were always fried. (How do you think I got to this weight?!!) Last week they made me pollock filets (fried) which aren't on the menu but the breading was very light. I may try the mandarin salad or naked tenders tonight.

For anyone in the area...cards in the air at 7!