Alright, I need some guy friends that lift, no offense girls

Options
Hey whats going on, so I have some questions, yes im over weight im 6'1 and 228lbs alot of flab, but I do have some muscle as well, lately I have been stacking up on the protein at least 1 gram per body pound so im averaging around 230gms of protein a day, im working out 6 days a week about 40-50 min of weight training not to heavy but not to light and then I run for about 45 min, intense interval for about 20-25 min and then elliptical for about 30. So im getting close to 2 hours of working out a day including stretching and stuff. i know im not going to see improvement right away but im discouraged, im looking at the scale and its staying put, im hoping im building muscle and that's burning fat, I feel great but just need a little advice and motivation, im kind of new to the whole weight lifting scene. I appreciate any advice and some guy friends, there are a TON of girls on here I need some guy motivation!

Replies

• Disinte_GratioN
    Options
    Build Muscle to lose fat. Start Lifting HEAVY!!!! The scale will stay close to the same but physical changes will be more active.
  • gbbhey
    gbbhey Posts: 188
    Options
    if you're looking to cut weight, I would suggest not taking as much protein at first. I'm not much of a lifter, so this could be completely wrong, but I know when I was taking protein and lifting, I was actually gaining weight which I was trying not to do. Also, it may take a bit for the weight to come off. Just keep at it, and you'll be good! Once I stopped taking protein and all the supps and all that crap, that's when my weight loss started.

Also, how do you like Osan? I'll be out that way in November and trying to get more info on it.

Cheers,
    Jared
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    What's your overall calorie intake for the day look like? Are you running a deficit, a surplus? Your food diary is closed so we can't see it to offer dietary/nutrition suggestions.
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Also, what's your primary goal? Is it to lean out or build muscle? If you are looking to lean out you will need to run a caloric deficit. If you want to build muscle you need to maintain a surplus. Both can be done at the same time but your diet would have to be perfect which is not realistic for most people.
  • kcvest
    kcvest Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Running a calorie deficit is absolutely the only way you can lose fat, so keep that in mind, but you probably know that because that's kinda what myfitnesspal does.

So more on the encouragement side, I am returning to losing weight after a year of being sick off and on and not being able to stay on my workouts as I should. Whenever I start back I go at least a month without seeing a single dip in the scale, then all of a sudden nothing can stop it. I chalk it up to exchanging muscle weight for fat weight since I am doing new moves to develop muscles in a way I haven't before. I just took 30 day pictures and can see a big difference, but the scale has only moved 1.2 lbs for four weeks (and that happened on the fourth week). Hang in there, you'll see the changes.
  • Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    Sorry the food diary is open now im new to this site, still getting used to it, I have a pretty big deficit with the amount im working out, Im getting about 1800 calories in total.

Jfewlass, Osan is pretty cool get ready to drink, that's the hardest part of this dieting ive cut alcohol completely and that is all anyone does here lol.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I would recommend starting with StrongLifts 5x5; it will drastically cut down your gym time and will be much more efficient. It is the program I used to get to the numbers in my signatures. I have since moved on to Madcow 5x5 (but you should start with SL) and am using C25K as my running program.
  • Mills187
    Options
    I appreciate the encouragement Kcvest, im feeling absolutely amazing and im seeing small changes i guess weight is just a number lol ill forget about it its just hard because basically that's all MFP applauds you for is weight loss im going to post a starting picture I already took it just dont have the cord for my camera and then im going to post some progress pictures. Thanks again everyone! feel free to add me!
  • End6ame
    Options
    I know I will be going against conventional wisdom here, but protein in excess of 35% of your daily caloric intake doesn’t buy you anything and the general rule of thumb is 0.8-1g/lb of lean body mass, not body weight. This is the methodology I have followed and have been able to make significant strength gains.
  • Acome48027
    Acome48027 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have lifted weights my entire life, but recently I started MFP and that has changed. I am 47 years old, 6'0" tall and typically weighed 200-205 of solid muscle. I also followed an atkins diet so I ate huge protein and very little carbs. Everything was fine until about age 45, then I just put on about 20 extra lbs of weight - most of it muscle - but some fat. I worked out like crazy! Hardcore, full-body weight training with daily elliptical. Note: For about the last 12 years I have been borderline on cholesterol and very high in triglycerides. In January of this year I really felt like I had tried everything to get back to 200lbs without success. A friend introduced me to MFP and I started. Today, I weigh 190 and I am on my way to 180. How did I do it? I stayed within my calorie limit and that entailed making decisions like: do I want two servings of pasta or 1.5 meatballs - cuz, they have the same calorie load. I went with the carbs and the weight has fallen off. I have cut my protein intake by 90% and increased my carbs by a huge amount. I am eating lots of beans, rice, pasta and vegetables and minimal meat - minimal. Some days, I am full vegan, but virtually everyday I eat less than 6 oz of meat. In was not un-typical in my past to eat half a chicken for lunch and a 20 plus ounce steak for dinner with broccolli - no potato - no bread. My blood work is normal now and my weight is waaaayyyy down. Oh forgot to mention, 30 pushups, 30 situps, 24 minutes of lifecycle - per day - everyday - that's it. Takes me a total of 30 minutes and I am in a full body sweat. Burning about 260 calories from exercise and I am lean and muscular. The moral of the story is - lifting a lot will make you crave protein and you will grow. At 47 years old, I am no longer trying to be the strongest guy around - I want to be the leanest, lightest, 47 year old guy around. Try it - it works!
  • Mills187
    Options
    yeah im pretty new to it I wasn't sure I guess I was thinking drinking a protein shake is better than eating some Cheetos and that a protein increase wouldn't hurt me, I read it in the Men's Health get back in shape 2011 book it said to maintain protein
  • Acome48027
    Options
    Hold on Mills - weight is not just a number! That number equates to more tissue for your one heart to pump blood to. That number is what your feet, knees, hips, spine - full skeletal system has to support. All of those things wear gradually over your life. And - as much as I hate to admit it - my blood work has been transformed by going from 224 to 190.
  • Acome48027
    Options
    You want some protein - eat beans. Loads of protein and extremely filling.
  • Mills187
    Options
    I completely understand that for sure Acome i guess i just meant as of results right away I shouldn't be so focused on my weight as a number right away if im working out with the calorie deficit im going to start to lose eventually I dont know dieting and exercise is just such a chore everyone is different and it takes time to find what works for you its so frustrating lol!!!
  • thisgirl727
    Options
    I am not offended, but I am a girl :) You may want to look into a supplement that you take a couple hours before lifting. Check out NOxplode and see what you think. You can find it at a supplement store, and sometimes they have samples too. It makes a big difference and isn't terribly expensive.
    It's okay on the girl thing. One of the first things my trainer said is "if you want results, don't be a girl about it" so I'm not. I train like a dude, I lift like a dude, but I don't look like a dude :)
  • Acome48027
    Options
    I would really consider switching to some sort of calistenic exercise rather than weights - if you want to lose weight. I have gotten to a point in my life that if I pump - I grow - big time. But what do I need huge muscles for - nothing. I don't get in bar fights anymore. In fact, I have found that I can really lose weight quicker by not exercising at all and that keeps my appetite way down. If you think about it - most skinny people don't work out at all. Anyway, I hope you start seeing some progress cuz that is what keeps a person motivated. Hang with it!
  • wjassell
    wjassell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The real deal is this. Do no use this site for weightlifting advice go to the bodybuilding.com forums and just read. Also look for the Total Metabolism Forecaster in the weight loss section.
  • End6ame
    Options
    I would really consider switching to some sort of calistenic exercise rather than weights - if you want to lose weight. I have gotten to a point in my life that if I pump - I grow - big time. But what do I need huge muscles for - nothing. I don't get in bar fights anymore. In fact, I have found that I can really lose weight quicker by not exercising at all and that keeps my appetite way down. If you think about it - most skinny people don't work out at all. Anyway, I hope you start seeing some progress cuz that is what keeps a person motivated. Hang with it!

Lifting weights is healthy; it builds muscle, tendon and bone strength as well as provides many other health benefits. Being 40+, you should be lifting weights; not bodybuilding routines but strength routines. I know since you have lifted in the past and are 47 that I am not going to change your opinion, and I don’t care, but telling others not to lift weight because of your experiences (which could have been effected by many other factors) is just plain bad advice.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Read this plan and set your calories appropriately. Right now, you are doing way to much.

http://drdarden.com/readTopic.do?id=415445

Manage calorie intake via managing what you eat and not excessive cardio to burn calories. Cardio doesn't burn much fat for energy. 1800 calories is way too low for the exercise load you have. That's probably just about right for 3 brief, heavy, strength training workouts a week. Pretty much about right to take on what's in the link above.

I'm also all for keeping protein around 0.7-1.0 grams per pound of lean body mass or even 0.4g per pound of total body weight.

It's important to learn about proper recovery time for adding muscle. The more advanced you get, the more rest you'll probably need unless you're one of the lucky ones.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Reset your goals to 40/35/25-protein/carbs/fat

Next get serious with your weights. up the weight 3-4 sets, first set do 12, second 10, third 8, fourth 6 reps.

When you have reached your last movement per body part to a set to failure, then drop set it so for instance

Bi-cep curls is your last workout for biceps that day, start with 30lbs, do as many as you can, once you hit the point where you physcially cant do it anymore, drop the 30's and pick up the 25's as(NO REST INBETWEEN), do as many curls as you can with 25 till you cant, then do the same but with 20's and then lastly 15's.

Now do this same thing with your last tricep workout.