Any other vegans here?

Options
CodyD18
CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
I've been vegan for about 3 months and I feel great! I have so much more energy and I just feel cleaner. However, I'm getting bored with eating the same things over and over. I basically eat beans, rice, apples, oranges, green beans, sweet peas, potatoes, and soy products. What are some good fruits and veggies that I might not of had that I can add to my diet? And other vegan foods in general.

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan/vegetarian anymore, but when I was - I loved the Moosewood Cookbooks. They have lots of wonderful, creative ideas for vegan and vegetarian food.

Here is a link to one of their books I really liked: http://www.amazon.com/Moosewood-Restaurant-Cooking-Health-Nutrient-Rich/dp/1416548874/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308164840&sr=8-3
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegan, but do meatless meals from time to time. Next time you go to the store just pick up a small amount of a couple of different kinds of produce and give them a try. You can find recipes for anything online! Try the recipe below that I made!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mbcarreno08/view/quinoa-salad-with-cherries-and-pecans-80963
  • Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm vegetarian but eat a large amount of vegan things. Feel free to add me as a friend if you wanna check out some recipes =].
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    There are LOTS of us vegans here! Feel free to add me!

I also write a cooking blog (that's taken a back seat to my upcoming wedding right now, but still has lots of EASY vegan ideas and I'll get back to blogging soon!!)
  • CodyD18
    Options
    Thank you for the replies! I'm not very good at cooking so that holds me back from making a lot of things. I guess I'll have to learn! :P
  • SlowlyLosingLolita
    SlowlyLosingLolita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Vegan here ^_^
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    smoothies! mango is the best. I'm not vegan but would like to become vegetarian and then work my way up :)
  • RattieLove
    RattieLove Posts: 125
    Options
    When I was a vegitarian, I was really big on the bocha burgers.. fake meat haha! :D
  • CodyD18
    Options
    When I was a vegitarian, I was really big on the bocha burgers.. fake meat haha! :D

Yeah, I eat those. They're good! :D Some of them aren't vegan though.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    You can check out my blog that's in my signature line for some awesome vegan foods! I'm all about simple so hopefully you'll enjoy it...and welcome to the world of veganism!!!
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hey Cody!! I AM!!

Suggestions on things, I ALL fruits... too much actually, so I'm trying really hard to cut back and add more veggies. Maybe you could mix up your selection by adding dried fruits and nuts?? I do apples, grapes, blueberries, organic strawberries, bananas, peaches, grapefruit, oranges, pineapple, melons!! A few protein ideas are Tofurkey deli slices, and Gardein is amazing!! Let me know if you have any questions!! Yay for you going Vegan!! Great job!!

Also, you can make tons of pasta dishes. Don't use jarred pasta sauce 99% have cheese or whey in them. Use tomato sauce. There's an amazing tuna salad recipe... SO good!! Let me find it.... btw I used dijon instead of the other mustard because that's what I had. Mash it all up together, and Yum!!

1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise or pureed silken tofu
    1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
    2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
    salt and pepper, to taste
  • CodyD18
    Options
    Thank you Sway and dayzeerock! What are some good places to shop for vegan foods? (Like meat replacements and such) I shop at Aldis and Walmart.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Been a vegan for 10 years. I make a lot of wraps. The grocery store has a low carb whole wheat wrap. I use pickles, beans, different vegetables. There's a million different ways to make it with different sauces and seasonings. Even in the toaster oven changes the taste. Stir frys are great too. Simple enough for people that don't like to cook. Grilled vegatable sandwiches are another one. There's so many options.
  • Sway
    Options
    Hey Cody! I'm not sure if you have Kroger's but they have an awesome supply of Vegan stuff. Of course Whole Foods, but where are you located, and I can help.

Online you can buy from Cosmo's Vegan shoppe. Also if you want substitutes for things let me know, for instance a great cool ranch dorito-type item try Tostitos Black Bean chips (AMAZING and HIGHLY addictive). Cheez-Its, there are these "cheddar" crackers you can get at Cosmo's. They are more buttery tasting. Hot Cheetos, get Takis, they're from Mexico, so go to your local Hispanic grocery store. Anything else, or substitutes I probably have a suggestion, or will find one!!

Oh yeah, and to piggy-back on what they said. Wraps are great, but the best one, low cal, high protein, low carb is Ole Extreme High Fiber wraps. They are amazing and really good for you!! If you want a unhealthy treat, you can fry little strips of these and put powdered sugar on them, kind of like fried dough, or funnel cake taste!!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Just marking my spot so I can post later.....I'm vegetarian........but totally interested in veganism.
  • CodyD18
    Options
    I would love to find a good substitute for cream cheese, and any other cheese for that matter and mayo. I live in Ashtabula County, Ohio. I don't think there are many places around here. How is buying food online? I've never done it and the concept seems kind of strange to me...
  • Sway
    Options
    Cream Cheese use Tofutti Cream Cheese

Mayo try Veganaise

Other cheeses, honestly stay away from. The only thing that is relatively close is Daiya for pizza... best advice is to put a lot of garlic on the pizza too... that's really good. Daiya almost has a sourness, so it's good to have the garlic to give it a kick.

Teese, those vegan single slices...all yucky in my opinion. Don't waste your money. But Give Daiya a try.

Best bet is to go to a Whole Foods in Ohio! They have the best price on organic frozen strawberries btw. Next time you are at your grocery store check out the health food areas, and refrigerated section.

Check this out:

http://yeahthatvegan****.blogspot.com/2006/08/best-vegan-friendly-restaurants-in.html

http://www.urbanspoon.com/t/16/2/Cleveland/Vegan-Friendly-restaurants
  • CodyD18
    Options
    Okay, thanks. Have you ever ordered any food online? That seems like the best option for me but I'm not sure how it works.
  • Sway
    Options
    Hey, sorry I had to duck and cover, there was a huge storm passing through. Yup, all the dry stuff they throw in a box and ship to you, and the frozen stuff they put a cold pack with. If I were you, I'd check out the local scene first, then order online. Google will be your best friend!
  • CodyD18
    Options
    Okay, will do. Thank you so much for all of your help! :)