How do you make yourself STOP eating?

Options
13»

Replies

• SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I weigh all my food when I'm plating it.... so, I know that I can eat every morsel on my plate; no more, no less!

THIS!!!!
    Also, Get yourself a set of measuring cups. 1 cup, 3/4 cup, 1/2 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/4 cup, 1 tbs, and 1 tsp. I use mine with every meal. I broke all my meals and snacks down into "mini" calorie goals. Example, for lunch my mini goal is 400. I use my scale and measuring cups and do not put more than 400 calories on my plate. If I have extra calories I add them to my goal for my next meal.
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    I recommend you read "Women food and God" by Geneen Roth. It's an easy read and incredibly insightful
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    First you need to be able to weigh foods with your eyes and not a scale. I know what a cup, half cup look like without a measure. I know what a 3-4 oz serving of meat looks like with my eyes. I do weigh some things but not very often. Your plate should be 1/4 Protein, 1/4 grains, pasta, potato and 1/2 all the veggies you can stand basically. I still eat the same way as always. If you don't have enough self discipline to control what you put in your mouth you won't ever lose weight or keep it off.
  • angie_roo
    angie_roo Posts: 55
    Options
    I put less on my plate to start with and drink water in between every few bites.
  • billmac
    billmac Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said buy...just maybe...

Many years ago a doctor who took a very holistic approach to health recommended a diet to me that was very effective. For mainly other reasons to do with digestion and acid secretion he recommended that I not drink in the period 20 minutes before a meal to 20 minutes after. I found thi9s limited the amount I did eat very effectively. Drinking cleanses the palate and you are then ready (enthuisiastic) to take another mouthful. If you don't drink you feel much less like having another mouthful. I ended the meal with a small piece of fruit which had the effect of cleansing the palate and was very satisfying. I now know that, physiologicallly, the small piece of fruit just has enough sugar to kick-start the digestive process and is a very healthy thing to do.

Maybe it is an option worth trying.
    I also was very short of food as a 'youngun' and I worked out I do tend to overeat when food is around because I'm afraid of being hungry later. It is good to get through one's head that if we are still really hungry later we can just go and get a little more food anytime! I know it is harder than it sounds that's for sure!!!
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I find that if I am eating healthy choices I can eat more. I do weigh & measure all of my food. For the most part I eat mostly protein, veggies and some fruit..... keeps me out of trouble.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    This is my weakness. I can eat really healthy, but then if you leave the food in front of me, I'll eat and eat and eat mindlessly. For me, I have to physically get up and put the food away or throw it away to stop eating. Throwing it away always reminds of me of Sex and the City, where Miranda throws the cake away to stop eating it, but she pulls it out of the trash and keeps eating!
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My tricks from over the years:

Drink water before and during the meal.
    Slow eating.
    Smaller plates.
    I try to sense when I am 80% full.
    I think about how I can use the leftovers.
    High fiber vegetables and eat them first.
    I tell myself that I am saving room for dessert later.

Good luck.
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I ate frozen grapes tonight after I finished my salad. They really did cleanse my palate well. I would have reached for chocolate in the past.

I have also heard the water advice from a herbologist.
  • raaynes
    raaynes Posts: 58
    Options
    we portion the food on our plates then put away the leftovers before sitting down at the table to eat. out of sight, out of mind! then after dinner we go for a walk 30-50 minutes depending, if we are still hungry after that it's a fruit or veggie snack. so far it has worked out great for our whole family.

Wow, this is great advice. I have a bad habit of leaving the leftovers on the stove, and then sneaking some more as I go to put them away in the fridge. Do it before I eat the meal; brilliant!
  • mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I started using smaller plates. I thought it sounded silly, but it's helped me.

We use the 8" salad plates instead of the 12" dinner plates now and it has really helped our portioning.
  • snipsnip2
    snipsnip2 Posts: 12
    Options
    I too do the small plate thing. I also used to make meals in bulk and eat a litte every day, but I have changed this habit. For example, today I made a single serve very healthy slice of meatloaf, instant 80 calorie mashed potatoes and a 6 oz can of green beans (I know the tatoes are a simple card, but it was prior to strength workout). Once I ate everything, there was nothing left to munch on!! The mini meatloaf took about 5 minutes to prepare before sticking in the oven.
  • BranMuffin21
    BranMuffin21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with eating - if the food is on my plate, I will eat all of it. No matter how full I am.

Lately, I've been trying to put a lot less on my plate and remind myself that I can go back for seconds if I'm still hungry, but it's difficult... Does anyone else have the same problem?

It sounds weird but psychological studies find that blue plates decrease appetite try buying smaller sized blue plates (plastic of course don't invest unless it works). I have not tried it but it was one of the more interesting stats I learned while getting my Masters
    Weird! I have blue plates that are smaller and it actually does work! I didn't think of that until I read that haha!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I think I'm something of a compulsive eater. If there's food in front of me, I keep eating.
    My strategy is to get rid of it as soon as I feel full. I just push it away, or put it in the sink (or the fridge). Sometimes I tell my husband to remove it so I don't eat any more! I also don't bring the dishes of food to the table when it's just me (I do for the kids, though, so they can learn to serve themselves).
    Serve small amounts and eat slowly. Yes, it's hard. It's a habit that needs to be changed. It takes about 21 days of consistency to change a habit, so give yourself time to feel okay with it.
  • nseuell
    nseuell Posts: 110
    Options
    Agree with everyone, and also want to add- not only does using a smaller plate help, so does a small fork! I use my baby salad fork for everything at home :smile:
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    If I'm at a restaurant, I cut the plate in half with my fork so that I only eat what's been portioned for me. I always take food home, knowing that I can have it later. That tends to ease my hunger.
    If I'm at home, I have super small bowls that only hold about a cup to a cup and a half of food. That way, I eat a "full plate" and see how hungry I am after that. We eat a lot of Asian food, so bowls are the typical dish. Small plates are the same rule.. use a super small plate and see how hungry you are after that.
    Oh, and lots of water. Hot tea and hot water tend to ease any craving for more food.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I try to take a drink of water between every 1-2 bites of food. It kinda forces you to slow down. I have a problem with inhaling my food lol.

Also, I found that when I start to feel full if you take some of your drink and pour it on your food you won't want to eat it! Its pretty wasteful but it stops me from continuing to eat when I'm full.

I really like the the water idea. I use this method all the time and it works. Between the slowing of your eating & the water the consume, it will help to fill you up.
  • dorybaby
    dorybaby Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sounds so silly. But theres these kid plates at walmart that are all kinds of cute colors and they are for kids. So they are smaller in size and you can pick whatever plate fits your mood that day. So, maybe you can turn eating healthy into something fun :)
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    If I'm at a restaurant, I cut the plate in half with my fork so that I only eat what's been portioned for me. I always take food home, knowing that I can have it later. That tends to ease my hunger.
    If I'm at home, I have super small bowls that only hold about a cup to a cup and a half of food. That way, I eat a "full plate" and see how hungry I am after that. We eat a lot of Asian food, so bowls are the typical dish. Small plates are the same rule.. use a super small plate and see how hungry you are after that.
    Oh, and lots of water. Hot tea and hot water tend to ease any craving for more food.

I do that to a bigger extreme, I get a box and put the half of the food in it so it is out of sight out of mine.