How can I do it without gaining loads of weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i think that if you just increase your intake to 1600 you'll be fine. You may gain weight at first because your body thinks it's being starved right now and when you increase it your body will cling to it, but in about a month you should be weighed out.
    I know this situation is hard. My best friend in high school suffered from annorexia, and she was put into inpacient treatment for 6 months. It was hard for her to adjust to a normal diet as well.
    I wish you the best of luck =] !
    don't worry so much about the numbers anymore. maybe throw the scale away :0 or hide it for awhile. you need to focus on how you feel not how the scale tells you to feel!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Blah to anyone giving advice other than "see a pro". :explode:
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Recovery from anorexia and bulemia are not the focus of this group. You need to seek the assistance of your health care team while you are recovering and be honest with them about what you've been doing.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Wow I am seriously touched by all of your caring replies. I do work with a counselor as well as an MD right now but i guess I've just been afraid to let them know that I am slipping. However as per most of your suggestions, I will bring this up at my next appointment.

I will aim to increase my calories slowly and if I do gain, what the h*ll! Let my body settle where it feels comfortable!

BINGO! You're doing the right thing. BE SURE to bring it up... you MUST tell them. Let us know how you're doing!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm in complete agreement with those that said to check with your physicians and nutritionists. We're all armchair quarterbacks. We'll cheer you on, but we're not qualified to coach you in this. :heart:

That said, I can toss an anecdote your way. Years ago, I wanted to lose a little weight, and just believed "you gotta eat less." I was eating maybe 700 calories a day most days, with a higher amount on the weekends. I was incredibly frustrated that the weight wasn't coming off. I knew logically I could not possibly eat any less without doing harm to my body. So I gave up. I figured my body was where it wanted to be, and that was that. I could maintain my weight, which was in the healthy range for my height, and eat whatever I wanted. The other option seemed to be starving myself to lose at absolute most a half pound a week.

That line of thinking was wrong. During the last six months on MPF, I realized that my body needed way more food than that to lose weight. I'm losing more weight more regularly now at 1500 calories (plus exercise calories, so loser to 1800-2000+ depending on my day) than I did eating just 700. And more than the weight loss, my body is changing. Getting stronger. I can feel the difference in just the past few weeks... it's awesome. I can do "manly" pushups instead of ones from the knees. I can run longer and faster. I can hold planks longer. It... it just rocks.

Now really, you shouldn't lose any more. And in the process of getting stronger, you might end up weighing more, but that's just muscle. You want muscle. Lean, healthy, strong, sexy muscle. :smile:

Now get in touch with your health care providers and figure out a plan to up those calories. You're not going to get fat. You're going to be powerful. You got this. :flowerforyou: